What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adjustments for 2007.

Utey

Coach
Everyone has brought up some good points. Will be a very exciting offseason.

The Colonel

Immortal
Avenger said:
2. Ben Smith to vacate the centre position. He is too slow and his agility is poor for a centre. Inu to be groomed in his position.

What exactly has Inu done to be groomed for the starting centre role? The kid is a talent - his attack would put bums on seats - but his defence is ordinary to say the least. The club will struggle in the centre position next year if we lose Ben or Timana for any length of time. Unless Reddy is groomed as a back up centre our depth will be sorely tested in that position.

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
What exactly has Inu done to be groomed for the starting centre role? The kid is a talent - his attack would put bums on seats - but his defence is ordinary to say the least. The club will struggle in the centre position next year if we lose Ben or Timana for any length of time. Unless Reddy is groomed as a back up centre our depth will be sorely tested in that position.

There is an issue with Ben Smith's form though Colonel.

Why Ben has been solid in defence, he has been quite pedestrian in attack. Whenever we've spread the ball and it's got to Ben, it's been slow motion stuff, it's gone no further and he has been dominated. I can only remember one instance where he has got the better of his man....late in the season at Parramatta, a nice in and away, ball out to Grothe who scored.

Inu is just a kid, and needs to work on his defence, sure...but he can only improve and let's see how he looks after another off season where he is a year older.

I'm not saying somebody like Inu should start the season ahead of Ben Smith, but unless Benny starts to show more of his 05 form, we'd be better off with Daniel Wagon out in the centres.

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
There is an issue with Ben Smith's form though Colonel.

Why Ben has been solid in defence, he has been quite pedestrian in attack. Whenever we've spread the ball and it's got to Ben, it's been slow motion stuff, it's gone no further and he has been dominated. I can only remember one instance where he has got the better of his man....late in the season at Parramatta, a nice in and away, ball out to Grothe who scored.

Inu is just a kid, and needs to work on his defence, sure...but he can only improve and let's see how he looks after another off season where he is a year older.

I'm not saying somebody like Inu should start the season ahead of Ben Smith, but unless Benny starts to show more of his 05 form, we'd be better off with Daniel Wagon out in the centres.

I'm not arguing against the decsion to put someone forward into Ben's position if he doesn't improve his attack. His for in an issue but then again so is Inu's. To place a kid who struggles against PL centres defensively in against blokes like Gasnier, King and Inglis is asking for trouble.

Behind Ben and Timana next year we have a lack of first grade talent in the centre position. Wagon may well be the better option.....

yy_cheng

Coach
I noticed a few times against the storm that our defensive setup is

Grothe
Benny
Timmy
Morro

We basically sandwich Timmy between 2 awesome defenders. If Inu was there we could have a bigger problem in defense.

You either pick a more defensive centre (Benny, Cooper) or a more attacking centre (Tonga, Tahu). Very few are great at both.

If our pack goes forward, Benny is fine and can make use of the roll on from our pack. If not, then Benny might struggle to play a centre + forward type hitups.

The only thing I've got to say is

F**K HIM !!!

yy_cheng

Coach
It was Twizzle's usual reply when commenting on him/it.

He name has been banned in this forum.

The Colonel said:
I'm not arguing against the decsion to put someone forward into Ben's position if he doesn't improve his attack. His for in an issue but then again so is Inu's. To place a kid who struggles against PL centres defensively in against blokes like Gasnier, King and Inglis is asking for trouble.

Behind Ben and Timana next year we have a lack of first grade talent in the centre position. Wagon may well be the better option.....

Same thing was Said about Willie Tonga from Supporters. The rest as they say is History. Will people make the same mistake with INU. Tahu is not that great defensively but he makes up for it in attack same with INU. Colonel, INU's defence is not that bad... I mean he is no ash graham or anything.

Thank god brian Smith has left as INU would be playing for the Bulldogs already and winning premierships.:roll:

The Colonel

Immortal
INU's defence is that bad Jake. I think the kid is a talent but he risks being left behind. I think at this stage he would be better suited to the wing. Tautai has come from Flegg in much the same fashion as Inu and Hayne and has been great in both attack and defence - he has stepped up to the plate.

But of course Jake you know better than most.... :roll:

strider

Post Whore
while we are talking defense .... Jarryd Hayne is a freak and is young and learning, but FMD he makes some stuff ups in defense - I reckon there's been probably half a dozen tries pretty much from jarryd making bad reads or not being desperate enough

i think people get caught up in young player's attacking abilities and forget the need for defense

The Colonel said:
INU's defence is that bad Jake. I think the kid is a talent but he risks being left behind. I think at this stage he would be better suited to the wing. Tautai has come from Flegg in much the same fashion as Inu and Hayne and has been great in both attack and defence - he has stepped up to the plate.

But of course Jake you know better than most.... :roll:

:roll: This was not directed at you Colonel.

I do know more than others Colonel and Im not ashamed to say it:) .

I just think that if we go down the technical line of thinking on every player we will have a whole heap of Daniel wagons / Ben Smiths / Roninsons in our team. Good attack , excellent defence just your average type of Robotic player - The Brian Smith way. We need our Mix of worker type players mixed in with a bit of flair.

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
while we are talking defense .... Jarryd Hayne is a freak and is young and learning, but FMD he makes some stuff ups in defense - I reckon there's been probably half a dozen tries pretty much from jarryd making bad reads or not being desperate enough

i think people get caught up in young player's attacking abilities and forget the need for defense

I can't forget his tackle on Wesser in his debut against the Panthers.
A lot of his bad reads I believe, can be put down to his inside players leaving him short.
At least he will turn and chase with vigour, as evidenced by his ankle tap in last weeks game. He also made a superb tackle in one of the last games at Parra, where Hindy assisted and forced the player over the sideline.

I'm happy for him to take the fullback roll next year and am so far comfortable with his defence.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
:roll: This was not directed at you Colonel.

I do know more than others Colonel and Im not ashamed to say it:) .

I just think that if we go down the technical line of thinking on every player we will have a whole heap of Daniel wagons / Ben Smiths / Roninsons in our team. Good attack , excellent defence just your average type of Robotic player - The Brian Smith way. We need our Mix of worker type players mixed in with a bit of flair.

I know it wasn't directed at me Jake. You may know more than some but not all. I don't disagree with what you have said but I think Inu is much better suited to the wing at this stage of his career. Again our depth at centre will be severely tested if Ben or Timana go down. Personally I think Inu was brought on too early but as it was there wasn't a lot of choice but in saying that the best centre in our lower grades unfortunately is going to Nth Qld and that is partly because Inu was chosen ahead of him....

Stagger eel

Staff member
Inu will be better player in time, no doubt about it, but if anyone wants me to compare him to a first grader going around now the only person i can think of at this stage is Colin Best.