What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL coup will rock NRL

chrisc101

Juniors
The arrogance of the AFL will be their downfall. Most of these guys in AFL had never heard of Karmichael Hunt when the story broke, they have no real idea of what makes Sydney Sydney.

This is good for NRL and for Sydney. The AFL will spew heaps of cash into schools, grounds and kids, they'll train at Blacktown and play at Homebush (two completely different areas of Sydney) and then when the kids grow up all multi skilled, they'll remember AFL like they remember skateboarding and follow the game that couldn't be killed... our big game, Rugby League.

This is spot on, when I was a kid the Sydney Kings came to my school and gave out backpacks and mini basketballs etc. It was fantastic but guess what?? It didn't ever make me go to a game. And why?? Well I supported the game my Dad did, and my Dad's Dad.

Moral of the story, 100 years of culture doesn't get erased with a few free footballs and stickers.

Goddo

Bench
Just had a look at big footy to see what their take on this is... After someone miss quoted broncos home average as "24000" and saying AFL teams were all bigger, a dude from their smallest club crowd-wise said,

Wow! don't feel so ashamed now, although I guess it just highlights how terrible the NRL is.

I am hoping the NRL flops soon, and I honestly think it will, so fingers crossed with the two new teams. The point is, the AFL is invading NRL turf, and not vise versa. We will never have NRL teams in SA and WA, thank god. I would need some vics to clarify this, but it is not very big over there yeah?

I hope that once the new sides build up rivalries with the Lions and the Swans that more people will eventually tune in.

They will soon realise that it beats watching meatheads wrestle all day
icon14.gif

LOL... Broncos have 6th largest crowds in the country buddy, and are the most supported club according to the most recent survey, yes, even bigger than your bogger teams. Perth Red, comments on WA never having a side?

Devilous

Juniors
lol

If the Swans/GWS double the AFL average ratings in Sydney it wouldn't even come close to the lowest rating replay of Rugby League, or even a live game in Melbourne!

Bulldog Force

Referee
Just had a look at big footy to see what their take on this is... After someone miss quoted broncos home average as "24000" and saying AFL teams were all bigger, a dude from their smallest club crowd-wise said,

LOL... Broncos have 6th largest crowds in the country buddy, and are the most supported club according to the most recent survey, yes, even bigger than your bogger teams. Perth Red, comments on WA never having a side?
Do you have the link to that post/article?

Goddo

Bench
here you go... these guys are very good at half stating facts and then not correcting wrong ones...

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650906&page=5

Another gem.. aparently all the sydney clubs drew less than 15k...

Adelaide and Perth have had RL teams in the past (they folded), so I think you mean "never again". Which is true, had the NRL toughed it out for a few years, we might be singing a different tune.

And no its not big, league support is tiny here. Storm are a pissant team. Melb Victory have a higher crowd average. And if an A-league club can out draw you, then thats saying something.

If NRL try and expand anywhere the league will collapse. They simply can't afford to expand to a big city outside of NSW/QLD. I mean, if the clubs that are already in Australia's biggest city cant average higher than 15k to a game, what hope do they have? Apparently they have a "heartland" in West Sydney. This is a pure flight of fancy.

Aside from a few hot-headed individuals on the internet, there's really no support for league. Even in NSW or QLD.

It wont ever die though, it will just eventually become a country NSW/QLD comp and disappear into mediocrity with the likes of the NBL, NSL and so on and so forth.

West Sydney will be the AFL's soon enough. The league twats can cry foul all they like, but it serves them right for being on our turf before we got there.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
they are nutters at bigpoofy

West Sydney will be the AFL's soon enough. The league twats can cry foul all they like, but it serves them right for being on our turf before we got there.

:lol:

BLKOUT!

Juniors
BigFooty creeps me out. A bunch of men aged 20-60 discussing 15-16 year old kids in their draft section. Talking about their muscle structure etc. Not cool.

Shorty

Staff member
It's comedy because it's almost borderline embarrassing the way some AFL supporters and the AFL media are wanking over some guy nobody here really has heard about.
So he's a high profile coach, didn't he basically get fired from his last job?

Nobody cares, and, it's not really a worry to the RL community because all the money and promoting in the world isn't going to change generations of League devotion.
The AFL is already trying to tackle Queensland with the GC team, two teams in two years, it's going to make a fool of itself.
It can't force (though if it could it would) people to follow it's sport.

drake

First Grade
AFL threatens Western Sydney as much as Rugby Union threatens European Football (soccer).

maccattack

Juniors

Those two sentences speak volumes about the mentality.

No respect or understanding of the people and area they are trying to convert.

The AFL should use it as their slogan for the WS team. It would be the most honest thing they ever said.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Those two sentences speak volumes about the mentality.

No respect or understanding of the people and area they are trying to convert.

The AFL should use it as their slogan for the WS team. It would be the most honest thing they ever said.
Nope - their slogan should be "AFL - sh*tting on the little guy".

user_nat

Coach
I love the mini "war" that we and BigFooty have. So much fun.

Both sides are like "Oh, we are so much better than those bunch of Bogans!".
Basically if you went over there and replaced AFL with NRL, NSW with Vic and SA with QLD you would have the same forum.

Someone over there is probably posting this same thing also.

Sir Biffo

Bench
I love the mini "war" that we and BigFooty have. So much fun.

Both sides are like "Oh, we are so much better than those bunch of Bogans!".
Basically if you went over there and replaced AFL with NRL, NSW with Vic and SA with QLD you would have the same forum.

Someone over there is probably posting this same thing also.

They have some unique characters over there.

Clarkey, the King of International AFLOL and Beaussie are the two most delusional. Read some of their posts and try and find someone like that on this forum. They're one of a kind.

It's comedy because it's almost borderline embarrassing the way some AFL supporters and the AFL media are wanking over some guy nobody here really has heard about.
So he's a high profile coach, didn't he basically get fired from his last job?

Nobody cares, and, it's not really a worry to the RL community because all the money and promoting in the world isn't going to change generations of League devotion.
The AFL is already trying to tackle Queensland with the GC team, two teams in two years, it's going to make a fool of itself.
It can't force (though if it could it would) people to follow it's sport.

I agree. The AFL are felating themselves over some post retirement age bloke, sacked from his last club, that sydneysiders have never heard of and its embarrasing. The bloke is so old he may not even make 2012, let alone be able to coach full time by then.

The Swans have been in Sydney for 20 odd years and Sydney has been exposed to AFL for 40 odd years now and we all still follow League. Why will Western Sydney be any different in 40 years time to what it is now?

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Look at Karmichael Hunt.

Played a total of 5 or 6 games of AFL in total, when he was a teenager, yet is able to get a contract for millions to play AFL at the top level.

Now, they want to sign players like Hayne, who have never played the game.

They had a Canadian Union player actually play for the Swans, no experience, nothing.

If that doesn't show you that it is a game played by the the lowest sportsmen on Earth, nothing will.

Just throw on a singlet and arse hugging shorts, kick the ball back and forth all day. You are done.
Go down to the MCG Boggers, you are picked next week.

Why would anyone with any kind of heart and skill, play a game where you are forever destined to play the game only in Australia, with 'overseas' trips to dumps like Geelong and Adelaide?

I cannot wait for the AFL to pour their millions into this second Sydney team, it will cripple them. Look at the ARU, it only took 5 years to go from 'Smashing the NRL' to a basket case.

I have my popcorn ready.

Also, Osbourne is a legend!

md2george

Juniors
The AFLs plan is not to take over west Sydney.
Its plan is to have a semi viable team, which in turn increases advertising revenue, especially seeing that western Sydney is a major growth area nationally.
More teams = more sponsorship revenue for the AFL and larger tv rights revenue, they are hoping for $1bil over 5 years for the next deal, but will most likely only slightly increase the previous $720m deal.

They are being aggressive in their expansion not to try to take over, but to make sure they get the few people who already have an interest in football. They only need approx. 15,000 fans (even if they are all ex pats) to be viable if they get their stadium deals and sponsorship right. Currently Geelong play out of a venue which holds only 25,000 but have been making good profits these last few years.

Its not a war, its just the AFL solidifying its base (something the NRL will try in the next few years with its expansion). The fact that the media are covering as much as they are shows that it will probably be viable, but wont take away from the NRL. (Storm are seen as a success but havent diminished AFL figures in melbourne, same can happen in western sydney)

I'd suggest this isn't really a troll...at no point am i critical of the NRL. if it is moved i'd suggests its a sign of insecurities.

j5o6hn

Juniors
You must be the only bloke who thinks that the AFL that says that, even here in the West they are trumpeting it as a takeover,get real it their mentality,if the AFL told them the moon was made of green cheese many would believe it

TimmyB

Juniors
It's interesting to see how much of the legwork the AFL is having to do in setting this team up.

Compare that to the NRL, which has consortiums in Wellington, Gosford and the Sunshine Coast clamouring for inclusion, not to mention the WARL pushing hard for Perth. Noone in Sydney actually wants this team other than the AFL.

Latest posts