What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BranVan3000

Coach
One would hope the tackle is not judge on the severity of the injury, but by the actions in the tackle. Not holding my breath however.

One of the first things a rugby league player is taught from the time they are a kid is to NEVER put another player in that sort of position.

What the penalty shouldn't be judged on is the comparatively lightweight penalties similar tackles have received because the player hasn't been injured.

BunniesMan

Immortal
One would hope the tackle is not judge on the severity of the injury, but by the actions in the tackle. Not holding my breath however.

The actions should be judged based on a) legality and b) potential consequences.

He put his arms between his legs and lifted. And the potential consequences are some of the most severe imaginable. So why should he be judged leniently?

I for one think the MINIMUM for lifting above the perpendicular should be in the region of 3-4 weeks.

When you lift a ballplayer that mans safety is in your hands. His safety should be your priority way way way above giving your defense time to go back 10. To ensure that, anyone lifting above the perpendicular should get multiple weeks.

Burwood

Bench
Its a delicate situation. McLean gets off lightly, what message does that send to the family of McKinnon?

This response seems like NRL have already been talking to their lawyers

I doubt his family would hold any ill-feelings towards towards McLean. I just hope that Melbourne do the right thing and don't whinge in the media or pressure the MRC to have McLean available to play this weekend.

BunniesMan

Immortal
A suggestion I've heard that I like is if your legs are lifted above your head you should be allowed to drop the ball without it being considered a knock on. That way you have 2 hands to protect yourself.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Now someone tell me how and why this wasn't a send off. Poor Alex who was a victim of a shocking NRL rule as well. Can we stop lifting players, it is so gutless!

Hope McLean gets 10+ weeks. Should have to sit out for the length of time Alex is out of the game. You do the crime, you do the time!

LESStar58

Referee
So the kid isn't even given a by-your-leave to defend himself at the judiciary. An unfortunate turn of events for Alex and I wish him well but what sortbof rinky dink, kangaroo court bullshit is this from the NRL?

Glenn

First Grade
The actions should be judged based on a) legality and b) potential consequences.

He put his arms between his legs and lifted. And the potential consequences are some of the most severe imaginable. So why should he be judged leniently?

I for one think the MINIMUM for lifting above the perpendicular should be in the region of 3-4 weeks.

When you lift a ballplayer that mans safety is in your hands. His safety should be your priority way way way above giving your defense time to go back 10. To ensure that, anyone lifting above the perpendicular should get multiple weeks.

Legality yes, when you go into potential what if's is a can of worms imho. What happens when a seemingly innocuous tackle ends up with a player with a serious injury.
Agreed he should face weeks on the sidelines for the hands between the legs, but I feel the sentence will be longer than what it should be because of the outcome.

Danish

Referee
Watched the replay a few times this afternoon, and I think the NRL were absolutely correct to charge them.

Sure they didn't lift him too much past the horizontal, but he did go past. What's more they had hands between the legs. IMO the worst part was that they continued on with the tackle even after it got a bit out of control. Had the 3 players not come crashing down on top of him, his neck doesn't break.

A lot of times when you see a tackle go a bit wrong the lifting players release. These guys tried to correct the lift and continued to drive.

They'll get a grade 2 or whatever week equivalent at least IMO

lockyno1

Post Whore
So the kid isn't even given a by-your-leave to defend himself at the judiciary. An unfortunate turn of events for Alex and I wish him well but what sortbof rinky dink, kangaroo court bullshit is this from the NRL?

Why should he! He is the one that caused the injury, not Alex. He will get time to defend himself- he will get 10+ weeks and so he should, if it were me he would get longer, but can live with 10 weeks and force the bloke to volunteer in a spinal unit...bet he might think twice about spearing a bloke again!

The thing I am most annoyed about is Cam Smith...for an Australian captain...whinging after putting a bloke on a stretcher!

Johns Magic

Referee

Look, I couldn't care one way or the other whether McLean gets no suspension or gets suspended for life, but I think one week on the sidelines here is far from something to complain about and probably the best-case scenario Melbourne could ask for.

This week would surely be taken into account if they add any further weeks on so I don't see the issue here.

LESStar58

Referee
Yeah lets feel sorry for the muppet that dumped the bloke on his head...:crazy:

You're not the full quid are you?

Imagine you cause an accident that hurts somebody. You'd want people to stand behind you and support you.

You are a deadset turnip.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Yeah lets feel sorry for the muppet that dumped the bloke on his head...:crazy:

You think these kids are hateful robots. Young McLean would be devastated.

Again, without prejudging anyone, Alex's head tuck was a significant cause to the final outcome.

Justafan

Juniors
The bottom line is that the tackle was wrong, it was illegal and it will be punished.

The lifting law as originally brought in many years ago to try to prevent exactly what happened last night. accidental or not, the injury to Alex McKinnon clearly highlights the fact that this type of tackle should be and needs to be outlawed once and for all.

It's now up to the coaches to take action so that it doesn't happen again.

LESStar58

Referee
Look, I couldn't care one way or the other whether McLean gsuspensionspension or gets suspended for life, but I think one week on the sidelines here is far from something to complain about and probably the best-case scenario Melbourne could ask for.

This week would surely be taken into account if they add any further weeks on so I don't see the issue here.

If he does get suspended then the week where he is "stood down" should count as part of his suspension.

Its another move by the nrl to pander to mothers. Simple.

LESStar58

Referee
You think these kids are hateful robots. Young McLean would be devastated.

Don't let the facts get in the way of lockyno1's hating on Melbourne, mate.

If this outcome is the litmus test for these kinds of tackles in future the nrl are going to wanna be consistent.

Jordan Mclean is an absolute talent and has got plenty of big time footy ahead of him. Hes just a kid and even though it was an accident this will stay with him.

lockyno1

Post Whore
You're not the full quid are you?

Imagine you cause an accident that hurts somebody. You'd want people to stand behind you and support you.

You are a deadset turnip.

Or you can avoid causing injuries....especially when the injury was 100% avoidable! This 3rd man in rubbish should have been outlawed. Don't feel sorry one bit for the Melbourne player.

Status
Not open for further replies.