What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

Shorty

Staff member
I would have said it before at some point in this thread but honestly it's apples and oranges.
They shouldn't be compared, I couldn't think of more different players....except perhaps their kicking.
Joey gets lauded for his defence, but he doesn't come close to the composure Lockyer has.
5 years down the track the deserved candidate for Joey is actually Thurston.

Jubes

Juniors
Like I've already told all of you nsw geniused twits. Buy the DVD when Lockyer retires then you will know.
Lockyer performed at ALL LEVELS!! Joey simply didn't that's a f**ken fact. Lockyer has crushed you wankers at club and state level sooooo many times your dislike for him is clouding your feeble judgement.

What level didn't he perform at idiot?

Silent Knight

First Grade
At least Andrew Johns wasn't responsible for captaining Australia to losses in the Rugby League World Cup Final and 4 Nations Final. I don't see how you can justify your claim that Lockyer "dominated" at national level considering these key failures.

Big Pete

Referee
At least Andrew Johns wasn't responsible for captaining Australia to losses in the Rugby League World Cup Final and 4 Nations Final. I don't see how you can justify your claim that Lockyer "dominated" at national level considering these key failures.

To be fair he was about as responsible leading Australia to those failures as Johns was leading Newcastle to a wooden spoon...

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Andrew Johns was the more dominant player but to me Lockyer was the greatest clutch player of all time. How many times have you seen Lockyer win a game in the last 10 at any level? Andrew Johns however would put 30 on a good team.

timka4

Bench
Andrew Johns was the more dominant player but to me Lockyer was the greatest clutch player of all time. How many times have you seen Lockyer win a game in the last 10 at any level? Andrew Johns however would put 30 on a good team.
Exactly, joey didn't need clutch plays when they were 30 in front

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Exactly, joey didn't need clutch plays when they were 30 in front

They could have used a couple when the Roosters came back to beat them in 02 semis and do I even have to mention the 06 semi vs the Broncos?
Hahahahahahahaaaa. Lockyer has made match winning plays on all levels. Johns hasn't.
Statistically Locky just fully s**ts on Joey and that is the most reliable way of splitting them.
Get your heads out of your backside.

RockWheel

Bench
They could have used a couple when the Roosters came back to beat them in 02 semis and do I even have to mention the 06 semi vs the Broncos?
Hahahahahahahaaaa. Lockyer has made match winning plays on all levels. Johns hasn't.
Statistically Locky just fully s**ts on Joey and that is the most reliable way of splitting them.

That would have been very clutch.

gUt

Coach
Some thoughts from Sterlo who perhaps knows a thing or two about elite rugby league players.

It's a difficult task to write about the great man because quite honestly all the superlatives available have already been used.

I've always said that the true greatness of a player is measured by consistent excellence and longevity, and he obviously has that criteria well covered.

...since making both his Origin and Test debuts in 1998 he has been an automatic selection if fit for any representative team selected. I cannot think of any other player in the modern era to whom that has applied.

...at 34 years of age he is still acknowledged by opposing teams as the greatest hurdle in their pursuit of victory. Going into next week's decider he will have been spoken about in the Blues' preparation in the same breath as Cameron Smith, Johnathan Thurston and Billy Slater.

Like all long-serving great players, Darren has been able to modify his game to accommodate the effects of the passing of time.

Early in his career he was a brilliant runner of the football which featured scything runs from the back field, especially from right to left. Whilst he has maintained good speed, his game is now based around the quality of his passing and the coolness in his decision-making. He is still arguably the very best at steering a side home in the latter stages of a contest.

Producing “clutch” plays when required has always been his forte and there have been countless times that he has been the engineer of match-deciding efforts for the Broncos, Maroons and Kangaroos.

There's more about the greatest player of the NRL era (so far) at http://www.nrl.com/sterling-gold-origins-biggest-game-ever/tabid/11019/newsid/63542/default.aspx

jonno_knights

Juniors

Joey would have went down as the greatest player of all time, if he somehow orchastrated a comeback to beat the Roosters in 2002....

Match Winning plays on all levels?

Club - 1997 Grand Final, 2003 sideline conversion
Origin - 2005 Origin series.
International - Man of the Match in 1995 World Cup Final, one of 3 MOTM is that campaign.

Lockyer = Better Career, Johns = Better Player.

jonno_knights

Juniors
You're dreaming. You're forgetting about Wally Lewis..........

There sure are some thick people north of the border. Seems only Rockwheel and I have picked up on "The Chumps" error, thinking 2002 was 2000.

If Joey was able to be MOTM in a game 1 week after he was crippled by Luke Bailey, He'd go down as the best of all time. The guy could barely walk up on stage to accept his Dally M.

Mr Fourex

Bench
There sure are some thick people north of the border. Seems only Rockwheel and I have picked up on "The Chumps" error, thinking 2002 was 2000.

If Joey was able to be MOTM in a game 1 week after he was crippled by Luke Bailey, He'd go down as the best of all time. The guy could barely walk up on stage to accept his Dally M.

Still beg to differ .......if "joey" could walk on water he still wouldn't go down as the greatest of all time

Not with Lewis in front of him