What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

mozza91

Coach
I know Joey is not a QLDér, however it's just an opinion. I do see 82% agree with my opinion. Just face it, know it hurts Joey has it all over Lockyer when it comes to footy.
Anyone with half a brain knows Johns is better, not just Lockyer but anyone else in the history of the game so instead of saying anything about his onfield abilities they make a lame joke about his drug use, doesn't make Lockyer any better though

tiger_nick

Bench
johns by far. the only people who will vote for lockyer are queenslanders and biased idiots...

johns made ordinary players look like world beaters. the likes of matt gidley, darren albert, mark hughes etc were never rep standard however johns brillance got them reguarly into state teams. they play for any other team and you would never have heard of them. he even made guys like george carmont and sean rudder look decent who realisticly were never even first graders.

dont let off field issues blind you, johns was light years ahead of lockyer.

Jono078

Referee
Johns is winning the poll by a fair margin, so there is no reason for me to look up threads after the 2005 origin series where everyone including Mr Saab conceded Johns was greater.

Although I wasn't gonna look up those threads anyhow, but if a Qlder admits it, can't get much more than that :p

mozza91

Coach
johns by far. the only people who will vote for lockyer are queenslanders and biased idiots...

johns made ordinary players look like world beaters. the likes of matt gidley, darren albert, mark hughes etc were never rep standard however johns brillance got them reguarly into state teams. they play for any other team and you would never have heard of them. he even made guys like george carmont and sean rudder look decent who realisticly were never even first graders.

dont let off field issues blind you, johns was light years ahead of lockyer.
Agree with all your post except for the Matt Gidley not being at rep level, Gidley is one of the best centres of the modern era he made guys like Albert,Carney and Tahu(although he didn't need too much help) look better I've never seen a player better at drawing in 2 men and then putting his winger into space, Gidley is one of the most underrated players also and he's still playing good footy in England

mongoose

Coach
Agree with all your post except for the Matt Gidley not being at rep level, Gidley is one of the best centres of the modern era he made guys like Albert,Carney and Tahu(although he didn't need too much help) look better I've never seen a player better at drawing in 2 men and then putting his winger into space, Gidley is one of the most underrated players also and he's still playing good footy in England

lol i could name atleast 30 centres better than matt 'flick pass' gidley.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Johns was a better playmaker(but not by the margin some of the dribblers here will have you believe).

Lockyer is a better leader.

Wally was miles ahead of both. As a leader and a playmaker.

tiger_nick

Bench

sorry mate but mongoose is right. gidley was a one trick pony whos flick pass would come off in a channel 9 then get talked about for the next 6 months. he also probably let in tries as a ratio of 3 to 1 that he created/scored.

if matt gidley was say a cronulla [;ayer i think he would have probably played about 50-100 first grade games and by now everyone would have forgotten who he was.

What Joey did I already saw Alfie do better about 5 years before he was even established in first grade.

:lol:

The tripper better than johns?!

now ive heard it all.

johns was a better

Kicker
defensive player
Passer
runner of the ball

the tripper was good close to the ruck and close to the line, he also pioneered to some extent the cross field kick but no way is he in johns class.

Lewis shat on them both,& did most of it under the 5mtr rule...less time to think & react..

any comparison to lewis is tough becuase he spent so little time in the best comp. No doubt he dominated origin football , but we never saw his best play in the top level comp , which is a bit of a shame.

Lockyer was the best player in his time, in two positions and the best ever in one of those position( FB). Lockyer was never chosen out of position in rep teams ala Johns. Lockyer doesn't play under the influence of drugs.Lockyer doesn't feign injury to avoid testing. Lockyer is better at getting his teams back into a game , while Johns sulks and berates all around him. Lockyers record at Club and State level sh*ts all over Johns. Johns admittedly was a better defender than Lockyer. Alfie and Lewis were far better halves than Johns and Lockyer. BTW what is Johns head to head record against Alfie ? and what is his head to head record against Locky ?

get your hand off it.

Loudstrat

Coach
Comparing Heather to Joey is not fair unless you include Fittler in the poll.

The thing Joey will have over all contenders is that he is the only player I have seen who made another position (pivot) obsolete. Who runs with the traditional half-5/8 combo aka Sterlo/Kenny or Stuart/Daley anymore? Joey basically combined the roles of 2 positions into 1.

That alone makes him the greatest. Add his kicking game and his points record and he's the clear winner.

Didgi

Johns = Better
Me = Queenslander
81.43% = Agree

No bias. Johns better.

And no-one, no-one sh*ts on the great Joey Johns.

And I'm not a Knights fan either.

mongoose

Coach
Brad Fittler.

And Fittler on his worst day was still better than Daley on his best.

LOL Atleast Daley never lost an origin series 3-0 to a bunch of no names like Fitler did. Come to think of it Johns was involved in that debacle as well.

Daley was more effective at origin than Fittler ever was.

LOL Atleast Daley never lost an origin series 3-0 to a bunch of no names like Fitler did. Come to think of it Johns was involved in that debacle as well.

Daley was more effective at origin than Fittler ever was.

maybe if daley hadnt been to busy stabbing the game in the back he could have been there to help.

mozza91

Coach
sorry mate but mongoose is right. gidley was a one trick pony whos flick pass would come off in a channel 9 then get talked about for the next 6 months. he also probably let in tries as a ratio of 3 to 1 that he created/scored.

if matt gidley was say a cronulla [, post: ayer i think he would have probably played about 50-100 first grade games and by now everyone would have forgotten who he was.[/quote"]
Did you ever watch a Knights game ?
No actually channel 9 would comment on the brilliance of insert winger and Gidley would get little mention for setting up tries
Gidley was our best outside back which is a good effort considering the quality we had from 1998 to 2004 his defensive reading was good and his tackling was decent.
I've seen him play more then you have and the bloke was a great player

Latest posts