What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

KHunt

Juniors
Fittler stayed loyal too. Don't forget that Penrith jumped ship when Freddy was in Test camp - and no one bothered to tell him.

Fittler stayed loyal after he retired too. Daley suddenly became interested in the Dragons. Interesting that Davied Furner, the ONE Raider to stay with the ARL, is still with the Raiders, after Meninga, Clyde, Stuart and Daley pissed off elsewhere.

Furner signed with SL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Furner

typicalfan

Coach
I would say that Daley was a better player in his youth than Fittler, even when he was making the grade he played with alot of time.

And Laurie played for the Raiders as they declined and lost stars like Clyde, Stuart, Walters etc. He went through those tough periods as well

Fittler really bloomed later in his career as a leader imo, but I always preferred Daley's instinctual style of rugby league and how naturally it came to him.

KHunt

Juniors
I would say that Daley was a better player in his youth than Fittler, even when he was making the grade he played with alot of time.

And Laurie played for the Raiders as they declined and lost stars like Clyde, Stuart, Walters etc. He went through those tough periods as well

Fittler really bloomed later in his career as a leader imo, but I always preferred Daley's instinctual style of rugby league and how naturally it came to him.

LOL. Wasn't so tough when your earning close to a million dollars a season.

mongoose

Coach
no , and clearly the statement wasnt meant to read that way either.

I was simply pointing out that whilst fittler may have lost the series 3-0 , at least he was there putting in the effort.

Fittler imo was better becuase he was a leader in much weaker teams than daley ever played in. Daley played most of his career surrounded by superstars. The two things that really seperate them though is that fittler was a better defensive player and he played most of his career injury free.

Daley was as good a defender as any 5/8 in his time plus he could put in the occasional big hit on opposition forwards. Ask Andrew Gee and Trevor Gillmiester.

aqua_duck

Coach
Just on Matt Gidley, every winger who played outside him scored a heap of tries, darren albert 65 tries in 89 games, tahu 82 tries in 97 games, brian carney 16 tries in his only season.

Over in SL he's currently Ade Gardner's meal ticket

Just on this poll, you can't say Lockyer was the greatest fullback (Churchill, Langlands), definately not the greatest 5/8th, where as johns is rated by most as the greatest halfback. In fact I reckon Lockyer wouldn't even be in the top 5 pivots:

Lewis
Fittler
Daley
Kenny
Bozo

Pigskin

Juniors
Johns, Lockyer is great as well, but one is the halfback of the century. Even if you don't agree with that most will have him at the very least in the top 3 and that is the most important key position. Lockyer as a 5/8 is behind the likes of Lewis, Daley, Fittler, Kenny etc and fullbacks behind Langlands and I would rate Gary Belcher and Garry Jack very close to him if not better.

you sir, are an idiot ... and so much of an idiot, i can't even begin to pull this post apart

Oink !

Pigskin

Juniors
Just on Matt Gidley, every winger who played outside him scored a heap of tries, darren albert 65 tries in 89 games, tahu 82 tries in 97 games, brian carney 16 tries in his only season.

Over in SL he's currently Ade Gardner's meal ticket

Just on this poll, you can't say Lockyer was the greatest fullback (Churchill, Langlands), definately not the greatest 5/8th, where as johns is rated by most as the greatest halfback. In fact I reckon Lockyer wouldn't even be in the top 5 pivots:

Lewis
Fittler
Daley
Kenny
Bozo

and another idiot ... have only read 2 pages of this lame thread and spotted 2 people trying to claim Fittler as a great :lol:

Get real, banana peel

Oink !

Nightward

Juniors
Unfortunately, Lockyer suffers more than a few handicaps in this race.

First and foremost, he was forced to shift from Fullback to Five-Eighth. He was the best fullback in the world, and he also made the best Five-Eighth in the world, at least for a little while. However, his best work at 5/8 is still nothing compared to what he could do at Fullback, so he suffers by comparison.

Secondly, he is playing on in the twilight of his career, with his form fading as a result. Johns went out when he still had a bit more to give, and so he is remembered more fondly than Lockyer, who we can point to on the television and say "I remember when he used to be much better than this."

As a player, I would say that Lockyer was better than Johns. He was able to transition from Fullback to 5/8, displaying greater versatility than Johns. He was also able to subsume his ego and play for the team, something johns never had to do; the Knights, New South Wales, and Australian teams he played with were built around playing to his strengths and nothing else. When you are the focal point for your team, it is much easier to be noticed.

Mr Saab

Referee
I will throw some petrol onto the fire.

Lockyer never won a wooden spoon
Lockyer never had to play off the bench in rep games (playing behind Kimmorley is like Lockyer playing behind Robbie ODavis)

mozza91

Coach
yes but you also probably dont think buderus should have gone to england in 2006 instead of hanging around pretending to still be a decent player.

no coincidence that the knights are on fire as soon as he leaves and they get a good dummy half again.
Now your insulting Buderus one of the greatest hookers of all time just stop you've embarrassed yourself enough

Loudstrat

Coach
I don't recall any single player winning a spoon, Chuck.

Chucky Numbnuts said:
Lockyer never had to play off the bench in rep games (playing behind Kimmorley is like Lockyer playing behind Robbie ODavis)

Which he did. Twice. 1998. Johns was already playing for Australia by then.

Mr Saab

Referee
And Johns was playing hooker by that time as some player named Langer was ahead of him. Only took Lockyer 1 test before he was the Oz fullback.
Johns continued to be a hooker and bench player for quite some time.

Whoops too much petrol was thrown....dont sniff any of it

Mr Saab

Referee
And after that? Where was he playing in the 1995 World Cup?
1996 origin?
2000 origin?

The "greatest" halfback of all time was playing behind the likes of Geoff Toovey and Brett Kimmorley

Red Bear

Referee
LOL Charlie

Kind of like saying lockyer is better cos he's won ore grand finals, Lockyer had better players around him than Johns probably ever had. In the year that Newcastle won the spoon Johns was struggling on the back of a knee reconstruction for the early part of the season before breaking his jaw and missing another set of time. After the jaw injury and tearing qld a new arsehole in origin he damn near dragged Newcastle out of the spoon, despite the fact they were well behind. All this with some of the sh*ttest Knights sides we've seen (great job Hagan).

As for Johns playing at hooker with langer at half, would you put langer at hooker? f**k no, he could tackle at half back let alone elsewhere. Johns had the skills to play at hooker if needed even if he was better at halfback.

Latest posts