What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

Loudstrat

Coach
Johns.

But Brett Kenny sh*ts over both of them.

Bert - the best post war pivot by a metric mile!

LOL Atleast Daley never lost an origin series 3-0 to a bunch of no names like Fitler did. Come to think of it Johns was involved in that debacle as well.

Daley was more effective at origin than Fittler ever was.

Toolie?

The same Toolie that promised that he'd never again play in the ARL and then played 78 more games? :lol:

LOL Atleast Daley never lost an origin series 3-0 to a bunch of no names like Fitler did. Come to think of it Johns was involved in that debacle as well.

Daley was more effective at origin than Fittler ever was.

Come to think of it, didn't Daley sell out for a quick buck?

Ah yeah, that's right.

keeney

First Grade
Man what is this, off season 2004 again? Why is this overplayed stupid poll back?

It's strange how back then these polls would be dead even and there would be a buttload of bitching. Seems a few years hindsight has vindicated the true champion.

Red Bear

Referee
Johns comfortably.

Which is no slight really on Lockyer, because he has still been a very good player. If he'd stayed at fullback the arguement would probably be better for him IMO as his defence as a fullback was fine, whilst his attack was obviously very good(altho i still prefer timmy brasher to him).

Johns is a better organiser, better kicking game and has not had the luxury of so many good players around him that Lockyer has, in fact as shown when comparing Newcastle with and without Johns he made a lot of mediocre players look very good.

Added to this is the fact that Johns never needed a lock to run around and protect him in defense. Johns tackled like a second rower. There was a great moment last season in the semi where Brisbane got knocked out by Melbourne, Lockyer rushed up on the storm player and allowed the overlap to develop which lead to that last try. Its those little things, 1%'ers that seperate Johns from Lockyer, he would've read the play better than that which could have prevented the player.

From players i've seen it has to be
Johns>Fittler>Lockyer

KHunt

Juniors
Brad Fittler.

And Fittler on his worst day was still better than Daley on his best.

I always wanted to hear the Fittler vs Daley debate.. Roosters fans will no doubt say Fittler is better and Canberra fans will no doubt say Lawrence was better. Even if Daley was better, I'd rather be in the trenches for Fittler for pretty much one reason. Fittler was loyal to the ARL, Daley went off to SL.

KHunt

Juniors
Johns comfortably.

Which is no slight really on Lockyer, because he has still been a very good player. If he'd stayed at fullback the arguement would probably be better for him IMO as his defence as a fullback was fine, whilst his attack was obviously very good(altho i still prefer timmy brasher to him).

Johns is a better organiser, better kicking game and has not had the luxury of so many good players around him that Lockyer has, in fact as shown when comparing Newcastle with and without Johns he made a lot of mediocre players look very good.

Added to this is the fact that Johns never needed a lock to run around and protect him in defense. Johns tackled like a second rower. There was a great moment last season in the semi where Brisbane got knocked out by Melbourne, Lockyer rushed up on the storm player and allowed the overlap to develop which lead to that last try. Its those little things, 1%'ers that seperate Johns from Lockyer, he would've read the play better than that which could have prevented the player.

From players i've seen it has to be
Johns>Fittler>Lockyer

I think Johns said in his book that playing hooker in origin (being a hooker in defense and first receiver in attack) made him a better player.

tiger_nick

Bench
Did you ever watch a Knights game ?
No actually channel 9 would comment on the brilliance of insert winger and Gidley would get little mention for setting up tries
Gidley was our best outside back which is a good effort considering the quality we had from 1998 to 2004 his defensive reading was good and his tackling was decent.
I've seen him play more then you have and the bloke was a great player

yes but you also probably dont think buderus should have gone to england in 2006 instead of hanging around pretending to still be a decent player.

no coincidence that the knights are on fire as soon as he leaves and they get a good dummy half again.

typicalfan

Coach
maybe if daley hadnt been to busy stabbing the game in the back he could have been there to help.
that has nothing to do with playing ability does it?

Laurie Daley made a painful off field mistake, but was still a fraction better imo. Only in Laurie Daley's absence did Fittler reach honours of NSW 5/8 and captain.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Different positions, and both are out and out champions, so in many ways a pointless comparison. If push came to shove, I'd nominate Lockyer. To my mind, the best player I have seen.

mongoose

Coach

Laurie Daley made a painful off field mistake, but was still a fraction better imo. Only in Laurie Daley's absence did Fittler reach honours of NSW 5/8 and captain.

Daley stayed loyal to his club. If he had stayed with ARL he would have been signed by the dragons or manly for probably bigger money than he got at the raiders.

Loudstrat

Coach
Fittler stayed loyal too. Don't forget that Penrith jumped ship when Freddy was in Test camp - and no one bothered to tell him.

Fittler stayed loyal after he retired too. Daley suddenly became interested in the Dragons. Interesting that Davied Furner, the ONE Raider to stay with the ARL, is still with the Raiders, after Meninga, Clyde, Stuart and Daley pissed off elsewhere.

typicalfan

Coach
I still remember SOO game 2 in 2005, the last series NSW has won!

Coming off a golden point loss, we throw in Johns who is a match in after getting a broken jaw and absolutely destroys QLD Lockyer included. And repeats the dose in QLD in game 3. Apart from Lewis I haven't seen anyone do that. Not only that but he does it with Braith Anasta at 5/8, although you could have thrown anyone in at 5/8 it wouldn't have mattered.

no , and clearly the statement wasnt meant to read that way either.

I was simply pointing out that whilst fittler may have lost the series 3-0 , at least he was there putting in the effort.

Fittler imo was better becuase he was a leader in much weaker teams than daley ever played in. Daley played most of his career surrounded by superstars. The two things that really seperate them though is that fittler was a better defensive player and he played most of his career injury free.

Latest posts