What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ah lol.

Who do you reckon would be a better guy to follow?

I generally like big guys with powerful strikes and kicks who can work good submissions. I saw Mir was a jiujitsu expert so I chose him.

Jono078

Referee
If it's a heavyweight in particular jump on the Junior Dos Santos bandwagon, kid's doin really well.

I don't exactly favourites but first guy I really followed was Diego Sanchez (had fight of the year last year with Clay Guida).

Another good young guy is Jon 'Bones' Jones, he is like a young Anderson Silva.

Only guys I dislike really are Mir and Koscheck.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Actually that's a good - the beauty about MMA is there are lots of divisions and lots of talented guys so having one favourite is impossible.

I've seen plenty of Liddell, Minotauro, Rampage and Vera. But to me there's something exciting about a genuinely big guy who can quickly take you down and make you tap.

agreed. Ultimate 100 is a must watch, if in fact, you dont have time to go back and watch all the ufc's.

Although I respect Mir as a fighter, he is a massive douchebag. Although my fave is Rampage and people say hes a wanker as well, so oh well.

The best Aussie fighter, George Sotiropoulos is also fighting at the next ufc.

If ur interested in watching the ultimate fighter, I recommend TUF1 (see the start of Diego Sanchez, Kenny Florian, Josh Koscheck, Mike Swick, Forest Griffin, Stephan Bonnar & Chris Lebens ufc careers. as well as some entertaining moments), TUF2 (pretty crap, but good to see the start of the ufc careers of Keith Jardine, Joe Stevenson, Melvin Guillard, Marcus Davis & of course, Rashad Evans, who everyone talks sh*t about, especially Dana who says that Rashad is the worst guy there, and then he goes on to become world champion haha), TUF7 (just coz its my fave series haha) and TUF 8 (coz ya boy Frank, is a coach).

my faves for the record:

LW- George Sotiropoulos, Joe Stevenson
WW- Matt Serra, Amir Sadollah
MW- Anderson Silva, Wanderlei Silva
LHW- Rampage, Rogerio Nogueira
HW- Rodrigo Nogueira, JDS, Shane Carwin

Jono078

Referee
Kyle Noke also won this past weekend on the ultimate fighter finale, in dominating fashion against one of the better fighters from the show. He'll be getting some more chances on UFC, they all rate him highly.

Noke and Sotiroplous the Aussies to follow, if Sotiroplous beats Pellegrino he won't be too far away from a title shot u would imagine.

Eelementary

Post Whore
agreed. Ultimate 100 is a must watch, if in fact, you dont have time to go back and watch all the ufc's.

Although I respect Mir as a fighter, he is a massive douchebag. Although my fave is Rampage and people say hes a wanker as well, so oh well.

The best Aussie fighter, George Sotiropoulos is also fighting at the next ufc.

If ur interested in watching the ultimate fighter, I recommend TUF1 (see the start of Diego Sanchez, Kenny Florian, Josh Koscheck, Mike Swick, Forest Griffin, Stephan Bonnar & Chris Lebens ufc careers. as well as some entertaining moments), TUF2 (pretty crap, but good to see the start of the ufc careers of Keith Jardine, Joe Stevenson, Melvin Guillard, Marcus Davis & of course, Rashad Evans, who everyone talks sh*t about, especially Dana who says that Rashad is the worst guy there, and then he goes on to become world champion haha), TUF7 (just coz its my fave series haha) and TUF 8 (coz ya boy Frank, is a coach).

KenFlo! In UFC Undisputed 2010 they have the fight where he fought the Pride Lighweight champion (Okami or something? They say he's a legend of the sport) and I saw him make him tap out with a rear naked choke. But I was impressed with KenFlo's composure, striking and humility after the win - he came across as such a nice guy!

I'm kind of disappointed about this talk of Mir being a douchebag lol. I saw a few of his fights and thought, "Wow, this guy is good!" and latched onto him.

Watching the hype up video of Undisputed 2010 of the fight between Lesnar and Mir for the title I actually thought Lesnar came across as a douche. But if Mir was saying stuff like he was going to kill Lesnar and sh*t, no wonder Brock got pissed off.

I have to say, though - thank goodness for the UFC games, which make getting exposed to and interested in MMA accessible to everyone. Thanks to the game, I am very interested in MMA now - I used to think it was dumb. :eek:

On a side note, I remember watching this show on Discovery Channel about martial artists and their skills. They had kung fu experts, heavyweight boxers, karate experts, etc. And then they compared them to MMA experts. One of those experts was The Natural, Randy Couture. Their tests found that Couture's straight punch packed more of a wallop than a professional heavyweight boxer, and his muay thai knee to the head packed more force than a world champion muay thai fighter's! After seeing that I was amazed!

Eelementary

Post Whore
I assume you guys have seen the Youtube video of Sapp versus Mirko Cro Cop? :lol:

Cro Cop knocked him the F out and he whinged that it was a cheap shot.

I like Cro Cop. And Gonzaga, too - a super fighter.

Also, how good is Lyoto Machida?

This is a great sport. Truly. It's bloody vicious though - watching Struyve lose via TKO to Roy Nelson the other day was scary. Nelson doesn't look like much, but damn he can go.

Jono078

Referee
Machida was godlike until his loss. As Jo Rogan said, he is like something out of the street fighter video games :p

If you can watch his 2 fights with Shogun they were amazing.

I think you're talking about the Florian and Gomi fight. Okami is a middleweight.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Gomi, that's the guy! Rogan and Goldberg kept talking him up as this legendary figure in MMA, almost like saying KenFlo had no chance. And KenFlo schooled him! But it was a great fight.

I've been reading up on what Mir did to Lesnar...I can't believe he said he wanted to break Lesnar's neck so he'd be the first man to die in the Octagon. WTF is wrong with him?

Incidentally, is UFC televised? I've caught a few episodes of TUF (last one I saw was two light heavyweights going at it [coaches, I believe, were Ortiz and Liddell] and one guy totally dominated and the judges scored the fight against him). I can watch it on FUEL TV, but do they show MMA anywhere else (aside from Main Event)?

I have become really keen on this, as you can see lol.

they show some random fights on one hd and every now and then they play fight nights on fuel. my suggestion is to download as much as you can. if ur against that, then get some of those multipack ufc dvds they have.

shiznit

Coach
my faves for the record:

LW- George Sotiropoulos, Joe Stevenson
WW- Matt Serra, Amir Sadollah
MW- Anderson Silva, Wanderlei Silva
LHW- Rampage, Rogerio Nogueira
HW- Rodrigo Nogueira, JDS, Shane Carwin
My Boyz:

LW - BJ Penn & Phil Davis(great up and comer)

WW - Karo Parisyan & Dan Hardy

MW - Demien Maia & Jake Shields

LHW - Shogun & Rashad

HW - Velasques & JDS

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
I'm a bit like Eelementary. I am really getting into UFC at the moment. Watched a little on and off for a while but have really getting into the Ultimate Fighter (thanks Fuel). Watched the first 3 (so many current UFC fighters in those series). Watched 10 and 11 too. Hired out 7 the other day for the long weekend and it was good too because didn't recognise any of the fighters and the fella who got up (Amir?) was a huge underdog.

Diego Sanchez is my favourite fighter. Don't know why but just love the way he rips in. He got owned on the Rashad v Rampage undercard though.

A highlight was Big Country knocking out this guy about 7 ft tall with a huge overhand right. Poor guy had a long way to fall.

Obviously Lesnar is another one who stands out because I watched a bit of WWE but Carwin looks the goods coming up.

I saw that Florian v Gomi fight too. I was expecting so much from Gomi but he got schooled by Florian. Gomi is fighting again soon (Lesnar undercard I think).

Eelementary

Post Whore
Stefan Struyve - he's HUGE. But Roy Nelson knocked him out easily.

Watched the replay of the Lyoto "Dragon" Machida VS "Sugar" Rashad Evans fight for the Light Heavyweight Championship. Dragon is the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.