What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this can be a real grey area....

In the fight between Patrick Cote and Anderson Silva, the ref stopped the fight after cote injured himself by something not inflicted by Silva, yet Silva still officially got the victory.

However, in the match between Krisztof Sozcszynski & Stephan Bonnar, On doctors advice, the ref stopped the fight due to a bad cut on Stephan Bonnars head. on replays, it was found out that the cut was caused by an accidental headbutt, so the match was called a no contest.

Then also, in the match between Rob Emerson & Gray Maynard, Gray Maynard picked Emerson up and slammed him to the ground, hurting Emersons ribs so much that he tapped out. Only problem for Maynard is that on the way down he slammed his own head into the ground and had knocked himself unconcious. The ref noticed this and declared the fight a no contest instead of a win for maynard

shiznit

Coach
fedor has never claimed to be the best
and which ufc rejects has fedor fought?

arlovski when faced fedor was former ufc champ, 10-4 in the ufc and on a 5 win streak including a win over werdum
sylvia is also a 2x ufc champ and along with couture has the most ufc heavyweight title defences
the ufc def. has a lot of potential in the heavyweight division with cain / JDS etc. but who is a better heavyweight in the ufc atm. record wise even over the last 2-3 years

and again please show me ONCE where fedor claims to be the best?

well most of the time the other guy just capitalizes on the injury and will get a quick win. i think it's still counted as a tko loss tho.

2 kind of examples i can think of are:
just eilers against arlovski; he just stepped wrong and his knee buckled under him and he was done - arlovski just started throwing punches while he was down and couldn't get up and got the win

corey hill did this to himself
c6zom.jpg

i thought it was pretty obvious.... Werdum was 2-2 in the UFC and was cut after his loss to JDS.

and even Arlovski & Sylvia... while they wernt cut like Werdum... but they left because they knew they were heading for the prelims. they certainly didnt leave the UFC at the top.

and its not Fedor himself that spout on about being the best... its his team that do the talking for him.

tiburon

Juniors
i thought it was pretty obvious.... Werdum was 2-2 in the UFC and was cut after his loss to JDS.

and even Arlovski & Sylvia... while they wernt cut like Werdum... but they left because they knew they were heading for the prelims. they certainly didnt leave the UFC at the top.

and its not Fedor himself that spout on about being the best... its his team that do the talking for him.

werdum wasn't cut either, he was offered a reduced contract (and rightly so) for getting ko'd by JDS and also coming in 30 pounds overweight and just generally looking crap, he obviously wasn't interested in hanging around on less money so he left.

sylvia may have been starting to go on a bit of a downward slide but not arlovski - he told the ufc he was leaving to fight fedor and that was that, at the time dana white had even said he didn't want him to leave (link link) and i would think if he stuck around he would have been given another title shot.

i'm pretty sure it's fedor fans that say fedor is the best not him or his team, m1 global is prob. the worst thing to happen to fedor stopping him from going to the ufc etc. but i can't even recall them saying fedor is the best

Eelementary

Post Whore
this can be a real grey area....

In the fight between Patrick Cote and Anderson Silva, the ref stopped the fight after cote injured himself by something not inflicted by Silva, yet Silva still officially got the victory.

However, in the match between Krisztof Sozcszynski & Stephan Bonnar, On doctors advice, the ref stopped the fight due to a bad cut on Stephan Bonnars head. on replays, it was found out that the cut was caused by an accidental headbutt, so the match was called a no contest.

Then also, in the match between Rob Emerson & Gray Maynard, Gray Maynard picked Emerson up and slammed him to the ground, hurting Emersons ribs so much that he tapped out. Only problem for Maynard is that on the way down he slammed his own head into the ground and had knocked himself unconcious. The ref noticed this and declared the fight a no contest instead of a win for maynard

Interesting. Thanks!

tokerShark

Juniors
im pretty sure the NSW sports combat authority ruled against overturning the decision, so krzysztof got the win.

Jono078

Referee
Those 2 put on a real show in Sydney.

And now they're getting it on again this Sunday in the main card :D

Can't wait for it!

fourplay

Juniors

Dana White always said he wished he could have had Arlovski stay in the UFC, but he left for more money. Arlovski was ranked #2 at the time he fought Fedor. He also won his last three fights in the UFC before leaving.

Dana was also extremely pissed when Sylvia left. Sylvia left to fight Fedor. Sylvia had won 7 of his last 9... had a recent win over Brandon Vera, and put on the Fight of the Night against Nog where he got subbed after dominating most of the fight. The fight was also for the Interim HW championship.

Jono078

Referee
First of all, if you havn't watched UFC 116, do it before reading any results! Best card in a while.

Now my thoughts on the results;

Sotiropolous pretty classy again in his win, just too good on the ground and standup Pelligrino never threatened much until the very last second of the fight.

Lytle is one crazy dude, he has some weird subs, you wouldn't want to fight him for the unpredictability.

Bonnar and Sozynski put on a great entertaining fight again, this time Bonnar was too much for Krzysztof to handle.

Leben and Akiyama was also great and entertaining, Akiyama was tanked though, you can tell his time out of the octagon affected him. The 2nd round had one of the best exchanges of fists I've ever seen, both of them were like knocked out but still standing and exchanging!

And Brock and Carwin. Well it went how everyone though it would early on with Carwin's fists hurting Lesnar, but to Lesnar's credit he managed to hold on until the second round, then he managed to take him down and Carwin had no answers off his back and Lesnar subbed him.

New found respect for Lesnar after today, I didn't know he had that in him.

GREAT card :D

Carnifex

Juniors
First of all, if you havn't watched UFC 116, do it before reading any results! Best card in a while.

Now my thoughts on the results;

Sotiropolous pretty classy again in his win, just too good on the ground and standup Pelligrino never threatened much until the very last second of the fight.

Lytle is one crazy dude, he has some weird subs, you wouldn't want to fight him for the unpredictability.

Bonnar and Sozynski put on a great entertaining fight again, this time Bonnar was too much for Krzysztof to handle.

Leben and Akiyama was also great and entertaining, Akiyama was tanked though, you can tell his time out of the octagon affected him. The 2nd round had one of the best exchanges of fists I've ever seen, both of them were like knocked out but still standing and exchanging!

And Brock and Carwin. Well it went how everyone though it would early on with Carwin's fists hurting Lesnar, but to Lesnar's credit he managed to hold on until the second round, then he managed to take him down and Carwin had no answers off his back and Lesnar subbed him.

New found respect for Lesnar after today, I didn't know he had that in him.

GREAT card :D

Totally agree with everything you said.

I said before the fight (as did many) that if they stood up and went toe to toe that Carwin would most likely come out on top but if it went to the ground Brock would slaughter him (even though Shane has alot of experince...div 2 wrestler i belive?)...i didnt know Brock's chin was that strong and the fact he has been off for a long time with that serious illness makes it all that more impressive.

Leben is a crazy SOB...i wasnt a fan of his before due to how he acted on TUF 1 but there is no doubting how much he has matured and improved his fighting skills.

George was very impressive i thought 6 wins in a row now...he will go far this guy.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm sad Shane lost, but at the same time I'm happy Lesnar proved he is a genuine threat. I saw a video of the fight - brutal.

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
It was one hell of a card. Every fight was a cracker and had something. Leben has definitely matured but I liked the wild boy stuff from TUF. Leben v Silva would be a cracker of a fight.

The ref in the Lesnar v Carwin fight must have been so close to calling it in the first round. I was very happy for Brock. Seemed to have been a bit more humble post fight too.

Loved the knock out slam from Harris. It was huge. Dropped him with the slam and didn't bother throwing a punch.

Polish Experiment v American Psycho have to have a third surely.

Frailty

First Grade
Leben annoyed me at the start of TUF 1, but you could see the change even when he got back into the house because of injury... Leben won't ever be a world beater, but he will definitely be one of the top fighters..

What big fights are coming up? I know Koschek and St Pierres is locked in (but I think this will be terribly one sided).

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
What big fights are coming up? I know Koschek and St Pierres is locked in (but I think this will be terribly one sided).

They are the coaches on the next series of TUF aren't they?

I am locking forward to UFC 117. Some good fighters on the card (Love how Clay Guida goes at it) but Roy Nelson v Junior Dos Santos does it for me.

Silva/Sonnen, Edgar/Penn II are the upcoming title fights. apparently Brocks next fight will be against Cain Velazquez and you'd like to think that JDS would get either Mir or Carwin.

Jono078

Referee
Shogun and Rashard should be around soon too.

UFC 117 is stacked with some big name fighters

Anderson Silva
Chael Sonnen
John Fitch
Thiago Alves
Clay Guida
Matt Hughes
Roy Nelson
Junior Dos Santos
Thiago Silva
Dustin Hazelett (you might not know his name, but watch his fights they're hilarious)
Stephan Struve

Last edited:

tiburon

Juniors
shogun had knee surgery and won't be fighting till 2011

and i'm looking forward to 117 and 18 should be good

shiznit

Coach
gotta agree with everyone here... awesome card...

how f**ken scary is brock?? the dude just gets more impressive in every fight.

this is how he is with 6 fights.... hows he gonna be when he has 10-15 fights under his belt??

and he looks like hes becoming more humble which is good to see...

Carwin will learn from this though imo.... will come back stronger.

also... you aussies should be proud of that sotoropolis(sp?). he looks awesome... he reminds me sh*tloads of BJ Penn. cracking the rubber guard on the ground with tight boxing in the stand up. i reckon Ken-Flo was sh*tting himself watching his boy get schooled... i reckon your boy would do a similar job on Ken-Flo as what BJ did....

Status
Not open for further replies.