What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon

Juniors
i'm going against the general consensus here with brock, it was an awesome fight and an amazing comeback but in the first round he really looked crap and i don't think did anything too impressive at all.

YES he has shown he has a good chin, that he won't give up and he can put a submission on someone who is gassed and has nothing left but that first round WOW. brock showed he def. doesn't like getting hit, his stand up is terrible, he can't defend a punch and that he can be beaten if you have better cardio than carwin.

i think brock would have major problems with guys like JDS, cain, overeem, fedor etc.

you can't tell me this is an impressive performance overall...

332m536.gif

Stonecutter

First Grade
gotta agree with everyone here... awesome card...

how f**ken scary is brock?? the dude just gets more impressive in every fight.

this is how he is with 6 fights.... hows he gonna be when he has 10-15 fights under his belt??

and he looks like hes becoming more humble which is good to see...

Carwin will learn from this though imo.... will come back stronger.

also... you aussies should be proud of that sotoropolis(sp?). he looks awesome... he reminds me sh*tloads of BJ Penn. cracking the rubber guard on the ground with tight boxing in the stand up. i reckon Ken-Flo was sh*tting himself watching his boy get schooled... i reckon your boy would do a similar job on Ken-Flo as what BJ did....

He is already 35....unless he does a Couture he won't last too many more fights. He got rocked by Mir in a brief 1 minute of standup the whole fight. He has no stand up at all. He got very lucky against Carwin. I don't think he'll be so lucky against a Caine Velasquez.

Jono078

Referee
Everyone knows stand up is Brock's weakest attribute. But the fact is he was able to stay conscious after getting hit by Carwin when no one else could. It was a great victory. It's not Brock's fault if Carwin was gassed.

Jono078

Referee
He is already 35....unless he does a Couture he won't last too many more fights. He got rocked by Mir in a brief 1 minute of standup the whole fight. He has no stand up at all. He got very lucky against Carwin. I don't think he'll be so lucky against a Caine Velasquez.
Brock is 32. He's got a few years left.

Brock always seems one punch away from being KO'd.

Special K

Coach
I thought Brock was in trouble in round1 (esp with the year lay off) but gee he held up under that storm and got the win.

Brock is awesome fun to watch.

shiznit

Coach
i cant understand all the hating on Brock.... the guy got through the first round... Carwin has KNOCKED OUT everyone hes fought in the first round.

People bring up names like JDS, Fedor, Overeem etc... yet they may well get knocked the f**k out by Carwin if they end up in the same position.

it was a fantastic win by Brock... hes getting better... and i dont know if his age is a problem. hes a great athlete.

now i just hope my boy Cain knocks him out... LOL

mozza91

Coach
i cant understand all the hating on Brock.... the guy got through the first round... Carwin has KNOCKED OUT everyone hes fought in the first round.

People bring up names like JDS, Fedor, Overeem etc... yet they may well get knocked the f**k out by Carwin if they end up in the same position.

it was a fantastic win by Brock... hes getting better... and i dont know if his age is a problem. hes a great athlete.

Fedor is still the best fighter in the world.

tiburon

Juniors

people are hating because he looked crap, good on him for staying awake but after getting clipped once he ran away then turtled up. covered his head and didn't mount any offence or anything for a couple of mins. everyone is giving him props for sticking it out but he looked poor.

i think JDS could beat brock same with fedor, if brock turtled like he did against carwin fedor would sub him. overeem is a diff. story - he doesn't like getting hit either but if he got in first on brock i think he would take him too

shiznit

Coach
people are hating because he looked crap, good on him for staying awake but after getting clipped once he ran away then turtled up. covered his head and didn't mount any offence or anything for a couple of mins. everyone is giving him props for sticking it out but he looked poor.

i think JDS could beat brock same with fedor, if brock turtled like he did against carwin fedor would sub him. overeem is a diff. story - he doesn't like getting hit either but if he got in first on brock i think he would take him too
all speculation of course...

what we DO know is that Brock has beaten a very tough contender in Shane Carwin. a guy who was undefeated in 12 previous fights... including 4-0 in the UFC.

whereas Fedor couldn't last a half a round with a guy that was 2-2 in the UFC.

you talk about how if Brock turtled like that against Fedor he would have been tapped out... what makes you think Fedor can get Brock into that position??

Shane Carwin is 6"2, 265lbs. thats 2 inches taller and almost 40lbs heavier than Fedor. hes also got the biggest hands of any heavyweight in MMA. hes more than likely the heaviest puncher in MMA history.

while Brock certainly had to get on his skates and avoid his punches... how do you know that Fedor, JDS or Cain wouldnt have been knocked out cold under the same power??

i hate to bring Fedor into this argument as this should really be about Brock...

Eelementary

Post Whore
Why is it that your average UFC fighter is so "old"? There are lots that are 30+. Is it because they spend 15 years or so perfecting their art, then enter the MMA arena? Or is it just luck? Not that there's a problem with it. They're incredible athletes.

In my opinion, if Brock and Carwin were to fight again, I don't think the result would be repeated. I'm a big fan of Lesnar's, being a pro wrestling fan before I became an MMA fan too, but I've watched Carwin closely lately and I reckon Carwin would pace himself better next time and Lesnar might have his hands full.

Speculation, of course. But damn - wouldn't it be great to see Lesnar V Carwin II!

shiznit

Coach
Why is it that your average UFC fighter is so "old"? There are lots that are 30+. Is it because they spend 15 years or so perfecting their art, then enter the MMA arena? Or is it just luck? Not that there's a problem with it. They're incredible athletes.

In my opinion, if Brock and Carwin were to fight again, I don't think the result would be repeated. I'm a big fan of Lesnar's, being a pro wrestling fan before I became an MMA fan too, but I've watched Carwin closely lately and I reckon Carwin would pace himself better next time and Lesnar might have his hands full.

Speculation, of course. But damn - wouldn't it be great to see Lesnar V Carwin II!
i agree with you mate... i think Carwin will be a much better fighter for this loss...

on the ages... im of the belief that its probably due to the stage in which MMA was in when they started... the big name guys are really former Pride guys... so they tend to have a few miles behind them.

i think now that the sports really taken off... your going to see a much younger, all-round MMA fighter.

you can already see it in Velasquez, JDS, Duffy etc...

but i reckon there a whole generation beyond even them... the likes of Rory McDonald and that young pom John Hathaway.

Eelementary

Post Whore
i agree with you mate... i think Carwin will be a much better fighter for this loss...

on the ages... im of the belief that its probably due to the stage in which MMA was in when they started... the big name guys are really former Pride guys... so they tend to have a few miles behind them.

i think now that the sports really taken off... your going to see a much younger, all-round MMA fighter.

you can already see it in Velasquez, JDS, Duffy etc...

but i reckon there a whole generation beyond even them... the likes of Rory McDonald and that young pom John Hathaway.

I'm a big Carwin fan - surely the heaviest hitter in MMA!

That's an interesting point. I would love to see the rise of 20-year old UFC champs one day!

In the meanwhile, though, I'll enjoy the stars we have on show now.

went to Impact FC last week. no real surprises besides Brian Ebersole defeating Carlos Newton.

Josh Barnett, Sokodjou & Jeff Monson all won easily. apparently Karo Parisyans fight was on before i arrived :S

mozza91

Coach
I'm a big Carwin fan - surely the heaviest hitter in MMA!

That's an interesting point. I would love to see the rise of 20-year old UFC champs one day!

In the meanwhile, though, I'll enjoy the stars we have on show now.
Bones is only 22 and shouldn't be too far from a title shot,he is fighting Matyushenko next who is a very,very good fighter winner should be in line for a title shot imo.
Also thought I'd reiterate Fedor > Lesnar, Carwin, Velasquez and JDS combined :sarcasm:

shiznit

Coach
Bones is only 22 and shouldn't be too far from a title shot,he is fighting Matyushenko next who is a very,very good fighter winner should be in line for a title shot imo.
Also thought I'd reiterate Fedor > Lesnar, Carwin, Velasquez and JDS combined :sarcasm:

id also like to remind you...

246jdoj.jpg
>
w7msrl.gif

Stonecutter

First Grade
I think they age is 1 perfecting the art. It takes a long time to grade in BJJ which is why you still see a lot of good BJJ MMA fighters who haven't got a black belt yet. Also most Americans turn to MMA once they finish college wrestling or football when they can't go further in those sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts