What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else not fired up for this one at all? I almost couldn't give a f**k. I dislike both fighters, I can't stand Greg Jackson and Jon Jones is going to win anyway. The rest of the card isn't that good either. Bring on 146 and 147!

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Bones will kill him.

It needs to be said, 24 years old and after this fight he will already have the best MMA record of all time.

Wouldn't say best of all time. Fedors record up until werdum tapped him was and is better IMO. No doubting that if he beats suga he's cleaned out the division. Scary thing is he's only gonna better than he currently is.

Ram Man

Juniors
Bones has had 16 professional MMA fights, I dont see how that makes it the best record of all time, he hasnt even cracked 20 fights yet and 8 of his first 9 fights were really against poor opponents to be perfectly honest.

I would say Anderson Silva has a far more impressive record than Jones in the modern era of MMA, the guy has defended his title a ridiculous amount of times.

Back to 145...I think Jones will be too strong for Evans...Evans has a lot of head movement but can he keep it up for 5 rounds and avoid Jones huge reach...and if Evans shoots, will he get a TD and if so can he keep Jones on his back for a great amount of time???? I dont think he will...Jones is a very very good wrestler in his own right and has shown how dangerous he is with his submission game...

jones to win by TKO in the 3rd round.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Not only that ram, if jones gets Evans down, his G'n'P is brutal. Big ass frame with good top control and brutal elbows. Just think jones is too good everywhere.

For suga to win he'll need to crack him with a shot like the Liddell knock out. Bones ain't getting that close for that to happen.

jc155776

Coach
Massive underwhelming undercard but expected that. All they needed was jones vs rashad to sell ppv and te rest to be rubbish filler.

WYD

Juniors
Bones has had 16 professional MMA fights, I dont see how that makes it the best record of all time, he hasnt even cracked 20 fights yet and 8 of his first 9 fights were really against poor opponents to be perfectly honest.

I would say Anderson Silva has a far more impressive record than Jones in the modern era of MMA, the guy has defended his title a ridiculous amount of times.
Bones last 4 fights have been against guys who would be in a lot of top 5 all time light heavyweight lists, and he has made them look second rate. I'm not just scoring wins, I'm looking at how the job was done.

As good as Silva is, if he stepped up to light heavyweight to take on Bones, he would be a big underdog.

Ram Man

Juniors
Bones last 4 fights have been against guys who would be in a lot of top 5 all time light heavyweight lists, and he has made them look second rate. I'm not just scoring wins, I'm looking at how the job was done.

As good as Silva is, if he stepped up to light heavyweight to take on Bones, he would be a big underdog.

The bloke has beaten some handy fighters but lets be honest...He beat Shogun for the title...Shogun was coming back form a knee reconstruction and really isnt the same Shogun from his Pride days, still a handy fighter but nothing what he used to be.
Same with Rampage, since he lost the belt, at times he has seemed not interested until he fought Rashad. Lyoto was his real genuine test and Jones was very impressive. All tough guys but 2 of the 3 are nowhere near their peak.
If you are not scoring wins then why did you mention he would have the best record???

Big call that Silva would be the underdog...we are yet to really see Jones fight off of his back and still be agressive and attack with submissions I have seen him pull guard against Rampage but really, if he takes on a genuine BJJ guy and pulls guard, I am unsure of what he can do....Silva has done it all and has a tonne more experience...I think it would be very even money between the 2

Last edited:

Special K

Coach
An Anderson Silva/Jones fight would be huge. I do think Silva would have to be the underdog being 13 years older and smaller. Again the reach advantage for Jones would be huge. I don't think it will ever happen though due to the size difference, the same way I do not think GSP and Silva will ever go at it due to a size difference. I think Jones is more likely to go up then wait for a guy to come up to LW(or a guy could come down..). I'd love to see a BJJ guy get Jones on the ground and see what he can do though.

Really pumped for Diaz/Miller.

Last edited:

MattJ

Juniors
Dont know if it's already been mentioned, but JDS will now officially be facing Mir for the heavyweight title, and Bigfoot has taken Mirs place against Cain.

A new opponent is yet to be announced for Nelson, will be interesting to see who they can find to throw in against big country.

Jon Jones has already had his next oponent announced as well, he'll be fighting Hendo for his next title defence.

Special K

Coach
I hope they do give Big Country a fight and not just drop him from the card. I wonder who is out there for Big Country? Rothwell or Browne on a short turn around? Kongo? Carwin isn't back yet...

shiznit

Coach
Jon Jones can be considered one of the greatest IMO.... he is VERY young.... but make no mistake... what the kid is doing at the moment is unrivaled in MMA.

in the space of 14months... he was the first person to beat Ryan Bader... which at the time was huge... beat shogun so badly that he tapped out due to strikes... became the first person to submit rampage... and the first person to submit lyotto machida... he also became the 2nd person to beat Rashad Evans.

NO ONE... in MMA can boast such a short period with hose kind of results...

the question for me is how do you stop him??

Anderson Silva would be destroyed soooo easily theres no way on planet earth Silva would take that fight.

Dan Henderson is a chance... his right hand could do damage... and his solid chin and good wrestling can set up opportunities up for him... but even then... Jones has so much other weapons thats its really a long shot.

Maybe Gustafsson??? or Davis?? they have the height and reach to combat JJ's natural advantages... but i dont know if they're well rounded enough to beat the champ.

i think his true challenge will come at HW... i think he will find genuine challenges at HW because they will be able to negate his size... and the power at HW is dangerous for anybody.

Jones doesn't have a great amount of pure power... so if someone is game enough to stand in the pocket with him and bang... they could cause him problems...

Ram Man

Juniors
Not disputing that Jones is a freak at all Shiz....but there are guys who have been in the game longer than him that have more impressive records....I am a huge fan of Jones, but someone saying he has the best record in MMA is a bit silly IMO.

I think Anderson has more of a chance than Hendo of beating Jones...Silva is extremely accurate with his punches and has genuine power...Hendo has a big overhand right, never kicks, great wrestling, but has terrible ground game off his back.
I agree with you though, Silva wont take the fight because its too dangerous for him.
Gustaffson has a way to to get there, but could be a chance in a few years.

Not many challenges for Jones in LHW at the moment!!

MattJ

Juniors
Big country is still on the main card of 146 despite his opponent "bigfoot" being promoted to fight Cain in the co-main event.
He is now facing Gabriel Gonzaga.

Special K

Coach
Gustafsson vs Jones is a sellable fight... The hype machine is building around Gusta... I think Gustafsson would get crushed though but that is a fight I can see for the end of the year if he wins his next fight and Jones beats Hendo.

Very pumped for 146... The undercard is interesting also with Mayhem and Diego Brandao being of particular interest.

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
Gustafsson is still a long way from pushing for the title. He hasn't fought any of the top guys yet. Get him in there against someone like Shogun, Jackson, Machida, etc.

Although very unlikely due to them training together now but a rematch for him against Phil Davis would have been good.

His original fight from Sweden against Little Nog would be good too. Throw Bader in the mix.

A fight against Rashad even.

Gustafsson still has plenty to prove I reckon. I would like to see him grow through the end of 2012 and start of 2013 and if he gets through it, challenge towards this time next year.

jc155776

Coach
Only way to beat jones is to start hell for leather, race in and hope to land a lucky strike to daze him or knock him out.

Rashad only hit him a couple of times but it looked like bones faltered a little when struck.

The bloke is unreal though. Didn't even get into top gear this time

argy-bargy

Juniors
Jon Jones can be considered one of the greatest IMO.... he is VERY young.... but make no mistake... what the kid is doing at the moment is unrivaled in MMA.

in the space of 14months... he was the first person to beat Ryan Bader... which at the time was huge... beat shogun so badly that he tapped out due to strikes... became the first person to submit rampage... and the first person to submit lyotto machida... he also became the 2nd person to beat Rashad Evans.

NO ONE... in MMA can boast such a short period with hose kind of results...

the question for me is how do you stop him??

Anderson Silva would be destroyed soooo easily theres no way on planet earth Silva would take that fight.

Dan Henderson is a chance... his right hand could do damage... and his solid chin and good wrestling can set up opportunities up for him... but even then... Jones has so much other weapons thats its really a long shot.

Maybe Gustafsson??? or Davis?? they have the height and reach to combat JJ's natural advantages... but i dont know if they're well rounded enough to beat the champ.

i think his true challenge will come at HW... i think he will find genuine challenges at HW because they will be able to negate his size... and the power at HW is dangerous for anybody.

Jones doesn't have a great amount of pure power... so if someone is game enough to stand in the pocket with him and bang... they could cause him problems...

Mate you started off well here. First few paragraphs are spot on. But then...oh dear :?

You say that Anderson has no chance what so ever, but then in the same breath you say that Hendo could beat jones. Then Maybe Gustafson, or f***ing Davis.

Dude, seriously lol. Simply lol.

And I dont think that somebody is going to stand in the pocket and "bang" with Jones. He has the best clinch at LHW, his takedowns/foot sweeps from the clinch have hardly been stopped by a single opponent yet. Let alone the fact that when the fight is in the pocket, it is usually from his doing, as in he is moving forward to attack from that position.

And you seem to think Jones doesnt have a great amount of power, he's absolutely blasted and dropped pretty much every opponent he's faced. WTF are you going on about?

Status
Not open for further replies.