What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we actually a chance here?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I sat near the sideline Saturday for Warriors v Storm.....pissed down all day in Auckland and was a very wet pitch, slippery with poor footing.

Think about what you say before hitting the keyboard. Just cause it ain't raining from the sky doesn't mean it not wet underfoot. In my estimation the recent run of wins have all been on wet tracks, especially the home games.

I also sat near the sideline, and was out in Auckland all day. It didn't piss down, as the last guy said there were showers and it was a pretty standard 7:30pm track.

I didn't see a hell of a lot of slipping over and there were 22 errors - less than all but 2/3 matches over the round, including beautifully sunny Sydney Sunday arvo matches. Hardly the numbers for a very wet pitch that was slippery with poor footing, you'd agree? (I had to think about that, and do a bit of research. Pat on the back for me)

If you consider the Panthers and Knights matches as wet tracks, which you clearly do seeing you said 'all wet tracks', then you sir should also do a think check before bashing something out. And as for the Eels match, yes it was a bit damp but we managed 35 points....

And you probably convieniently ignored the rest.

Lego_Man

First Grade
He has a valid point though - beating the Rabbits in Sydney (something we'll need to do come September) would be a great test of our progress.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
That track on Saturday was pretty wet, the juniors game was full of slips and knock ons.

It was, but to me they were not overly tough conditions come 7:30 - certainly enough for NRL standard players to cope in. And cope they did, as we completed 75% of sets and there were only 22 errors as per above.

And yep I totally agree that beating the Bunnies in Sydney would be a good test of our quality, but should our achievements to be 5th, 3rd equal on points, be cast aside and written off because 'they were all in the wet'? No.

Last edited:

ozreece77

Juniors
It was, but to me they were not overly tough conditions come 7:30 - certainly enough for NRL standard players to cope in. And cope they did, as we completed 75% of sets and there were only 22 errors as per above.

And yep I totally agree that beating the Bunnies in Sydney would be a good test of our quality, but should our achievements to be 5th, 3rd equal on points, be cast aside and written off because 'they were all in the wet'? No.

I dont care what conditions they play in as long as Manu doesnt do a hammy!!

Aha....so maybe I have the Warriors fans thinking? Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing this side. I actually think they have outplayed a number of teams exceptionally well and I salute their fortitude, but you have to consider the conditions when you look at the results.

Don't get precious, the facts are the facts. The Warriors have had the conditions work towards them more then against them as they have battled to stay competitive through a rotten period of injury....bully for them. But when push comes to shove they will cave.

Unfortunately this will not be their year. Prepare for a reality check. 12 or 13 points will not win play off games. It will not rain in Sydney in Sept and I expect the Warriors to fall off the pace quickly. 2011 will prove how good this side is and with Mateo and Inu on board a more balanced side will be in a position to attack more effectively....they can't score long range tries and haven't really dominated any game this season, therefore they will be knocked out early.

Watch and see on Sunday when they face a desperate side in good conditions.

never mind the 57 odd posts in the thread before your first in which we've all said similar things?

Dr Crane......this Warriors side have been simply awesome this season under extremely difficult circumstances, simple as that - greatest over-achievers by far. I am there every home game and love seeing them win, the power and the passion that drives them home has impressed me more than any other season. I hate using the word 'rebuild' and the boys have done far more than that in 2010...they've played like they want to run at the top, knock off higher ranked teams and leave a mark this year.

The Warriors of 2010 are only a shadow of the future but the blueprint is firmly in place.....

2011 will be a landmark year for this club. I look forward to it.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
ahh... poor little cottontail, out of his depth again...

don't stress young fella, you just need some more of this:

mid_nos_octane_booster.jpg

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Unfortunately this will not be their year. Prepare for a reality check. 12 or 13 points will not win play off games. It will not rain in Sydney in Sept and I expect the Warriors to fall off the pace quickly. 2011 will prove how good this side is and with Mateo and Inu on board a more balanced side will be in a position to attack more effectively....they can't score long range tries and haven't really dominated any game this season, therefore they will be knocked out early.

Watch and see on Sunday when they face a desperate side in good conditions.

You weren't listening were you?

Incidentally, I don't think it'll be our year either. I think we've done ridiculously well to get where we are but I can't see us winning 3/4 in a row across the Tasman, presuming we finish 5th to 8th.

Once again, saying they haven't dominated any game this season makes you look a wee bit silly.

And I will laugh my backside off if it's raining on Sunday.

Meth

Staff member
He has a valid point though - beating the Rabbits in Sydney (something we'll need to do come September) would be a great test of our progress.

Not necessarily

The Rabbitohs with Isaac Luke are a much different team to the Rabbitohs without him. These guys are now outside of the top 8 and sliding. They have hardly been a good football team since Round 14

14- lost v Brisbane
15- lost v Manly
16- won v Storm 16-14
17- bye
18- lost v Roosters
19- lost to Dragons

I am not sure why everybody is quaking in their boots? Because of Burgess? We beat them when we were crap in Round 11- why shouldn't we expect to be them when they're crap in Round 20?

Martli

Coach
Those last two loses to the Roosters and Dragons (4th and 1st on the table respectively) were relatively small losses. That's why I think the Rabbitohs are a good chance, especially at home. If they get the rub of the green then they could easily beat us. It could go either way, we're more than capable of beating them, but I think they are also more than capable of beating us at the same time.

Juju

Juniors
souths may very well beat the warriors this rd. warriors are probably due a loss and bunnies due a win. fair play they have some excellent players but jesus their supporters overrate them something chronic.
facts are the bunnies are the least successful club of the modern era.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Burgess is the big danger for us. He pops up everywhere on the field and can really hurt you. Then you have the likes of Taylor and Asotasi. I don't want to hear any talk of the Warriors having a monster pack, against a pack likes Souths.

The Warriors are going to have their work cut out for them in the forwards.

Martli

Coach
Definitely, but we've come up well against decent forward packs like the Panthers and our forwards somewhat dominated the Dragons in a forwards-orientated wet-weather game, so I think our forwards are definitely up to the task.

Juju

Juniors
i. I don't want to hear any talk of the Warriors having a monster pack, against a pack likes Souths.

I agree, its totally ludicrous when you hear the commentators going on about the "big warriors fowards getting tired".

Nemesis

Bench
souths may very well beat the warriors this rd. warriors are probably due a loss and bunnies due a win. fair play they have some excellent players but jesus their supporters overrate them something chronic.
facts are the bunnies are the least successful club of the modern era.
Facts are that Souths WERE the least successful club of the modern era.
Facts are that Souths currently have more members than any NRL club (over 18,000)
Facts are that Souths are currently the most profitable Sydney based NRL club.
Facts are that Souths have been in the top eight for most of this season.
Facts are that Souths have still won more premierships than any other club.
Facts are that since 2006 Souths have been re-building towards becoming the most successful club of the modern era.
Facts are that many NRL clubs wish they were in our current position.

So next time, get your facts straight...

Latest posts