What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia v India 3rd Test at WACA Perth

stumped

Juniors
Rogers most disappointing, home ground knowledge meant very little, Katich is the most inform batsman in Australia, yet our selectors refuse to eat humble pie.

I can't see the Aussies getting within 150 of the Indians, if they do though, I will line up for a serve of humble pie gladly

Matt23

Staff member
Collingwood Storm said:
Jaques in a liability in the field and now in the past 2 tests he has been just as good with the bat
Who would you replace him with...wait I know this one - Brad Hodge

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Collingwood Storm said:
Jaques in a liability in the field and now in the past 2 tests he has been just as good with the bat

still better than Brad Hodge

DeeGan

Bench
herbert henry1908 said:
after 6 consecutive 50's your allowed to have a couple of off games FFS.

Agreed. Jaques is going no where.

If by chance Haydo's is not recovered, I fear Rogers may be labelled a one Test pony and David Hussey will get the calll up moving his brother to opener.

Moffo

Referee
what is rogers state avg? i'm not convinced in his technique, although ive admittedly only seen limited footage

DeeGan

Bench
Moffo said:
what is rogers state avg? i'm not convinced in his technique, although ive admittedly only seen limited footage

His first class average is 47.

Yeah, he has a "awkward but effective style" I remember one scribe writing not long ago and it works for him. Hell, look at Chanderpaul - who would of thought that technique would last at Test level :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
His FC average isn't too shabby but his form this year is ordinary

This is exactly why our selectors needs a kick up the arse or a reality check, they have this pecking order process of selecting players.

For evidence I reefer you to Brad Hodge, obviously was high in the pecking order, but out of form which was ignored by the selectors but they kept picking him and he continually failed.

I just wish they'd take more notice of current form.

No doubt Rogers was high in the pecking order last year, as an opener.

Open your minds boys, they are too quick to label certain people, alot of people can open the batting, its not rocket science.

Boonie was never an opener until they asked him to do it.

Even though Rogers is high up in the pecking order and he is out of form in FC cricket they will continue to pick him if Hayden is injured.

As the great Jack Gibson once said, "pick your best 13 and worry about the numbers on their back later"

D

Deleted member 10972

Excluding guys like Maher, Di Venuto, Langer, Elliott, Love, D Marsh, etc...

The Aussie batsmen with genuinely good averages (45+) in our domestic scene are Rogers (47.93), Jaques (56.47), Pomersbach (63.09 after 8 matches), D Hussey (56.32), Hodge (48.62), Katich (53.80), Watson (46.11, though it was 50, but CRAP form dropped it). Marcus North also averages 44 & Thornely 42, which are not in the same level but are still great. They are essentially the cream of the crop in the Aussie domestic scene, but unfortunately, bar the hopelessly out of form Watson, none are really young enough to make a fist of anything.

From there, you have a fair few younger players who average far less than their talent shows, but have issues with consistency or temperament. Batsmen like Bailey (36.79), Voges (39.90), Birt (39.42), Cosgrove (39.41), S Marsh (34.01), spinning allrounders like Simpson (24.60), White (39.96), or pace allrounders like McDonald (32.95), Butterworth (31.79)...they are just some of the excellent young talent we have in the country. These blokes can lead the future brigade, but they all need to definitely up their consistency, with the batsmen all pushing their averages into the mid-40's, & the allrounders getting their averages all up to late 30's/early 40's.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I would have slotted Dave Husey into the opening spot.

He's done it a few times in ODI cricket and he's in red hot form.

Twizzle said:
His FC average isn't too shabby but his form this year is ordinary

This is exactly why our selectors needs a kick up the arse or a reality check, they have this pecking order process of selecting players.

For evidence I reefer you to Brad Hodge, obviously was high in the pecking order, but out of form which was ignored by the selectors but they kept picking him and he continually failed.

I just wish they'd take more notice of current form.

No doubt Rogers was high in the pecking order last year, as an opener.

Open your minds boys, they are too quick to label certain people, alot of people can open the batting, its not rocket science.

Boonie was never an opener until they asked him to do it.

Even though Rogers is high up in the pecking order and he is out of form in FC cricket they will continue to pick him if Hayden is injured.

As the great Jack Gibson once said, "pick your best 13 and worry about the numbers on their back later"

You speak of evidence but you clearly ignore it by shooting off some crap.

Hodge 5 test matches 409 runs @ avge 58.42

Yeah someone who has continually failed.:sarcasm: You cannot judge test cricketers on one day cricket preformances.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
DeeGan said:
His first class average is 47.

Yeah, he has a "awkward but effective style" I remember one scribe writing not long ago and it works for him. Hell, look at Chanderpaul - who would of thought that technique would last at Test level :lol:
Shiv's technique is f**ked up.

How he's managed to be a competent test batsmen for so long is unbelievable.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rocky_Da_Rooster said:

Yeah someone who has continually failed.:sarcasm: You cannot judge test cricketers on one day cricket preformances.
And vice versa.

If Michael Bevan had've been given a second chance in test cricket, he would've got his batting average well up over 40 in very short time, just like Hayden, Ponting, Langer and Martyn all did after slow starts to their careers.

Bevans first class record is impeccable, bettered by very few.

Rocky_Da_Rooster said:

Hodges stats are completley skewed by his innings of 203 though.

take out that innings and his average is 25.

madunit said:
Bevans first class record is impeccable, bettered by very few.

i've always maintained he'd of had 8,000+ tests runs and would of been a successful captain if he was any nationality but australian

always deserved a second chance imo

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Australia should try and bat into the fifth day. Wear out the Indian Bowlers, and break them down.

They'd be a shambles for the next test, moreso if Australia bats first.

Rocky_Da_Rooster said:

you might want to look deeper at stats

5 tests

9 innings

409 runs

highest score of 203 not out

second highest score of 60

so in two of his 9 innings he's got over half of his runs

kind of puts 5 tests 409 runs @ 58 into perspective you think?