What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Squad Announced

emil1989

Juniors
1. Slater
2. Falou
3. hodges
4. tate/inglis
5. Inglis/tate
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Civoneciva
9. Smith
10. Price
11. Crocker
12. gallen
13. laffranchi

14. Kite
15. Perry
16. Watmough
17. Gidley/prince

i think theyll start getting prince a bit in dummy half

if they went on form theyd pick ennis in that squad instead of gidley..but seems as if they only went on form according to the grand final players and they'd never pick ennis..but where the heck is gidley gunna play..smith plays almost 80 minutes and most of that backline can play fullback well and theres stewart as 2nd drop fullback..i think its a weak squad outside of the lineup from 1-14..perry should be a fringe rep player not a benchie..but i looked for someone in the squad better then him and there wasnt any..therefore in my opinion making it a weak squad

fitzgibbon, g stewart shuldnt be there..hannant, myles should,

i go for qld and im happy with the starting team cos 11 out of 17 are qlders but..i think its a weak ass bench except for kite

question..what the heck did williams do that was more special that denan kemp??

p.s folau can kick if he needs to, apparently he's a good kicker...also hunt is a better lock than any lock that we've picked haha

i think they shuldve picked hunt and thaiday to be honest cos they havnt been charged with anything and dont think they will

and why the heck was monaghan picked over cooper as much as i rate monaghan coopers been there, done that

o well..we'll jst wait and see

Johns Magic

Referee
if they went on form theyd pick ennis in that squad instead of gidley..but seems as if they only went on form according to the grand final players and they'd never pick ennis..but where the heck is gidley gunna play..smith plays almost 80 minutes and most of that backline can play fullback well and theres stewart as 2nd drop fullback

I think you just answered your own question?

Why pick Ennis when Smith is an 80 minute player?

If the fullback goes down, who goes to fullback? A centre? Then who goes to centre? And don't say Stewart, because he'll either be in the starting line-up or not there at all.

bobbis

Juniors
Should've had a 2nd hooker instead of Gidley, 3 fullbacks is over kill espcially when Hodges and Inglis can also cover there.

Fitzgibbon is an odd pick, Hannant or Myles for mine.

I can understand why Thaiday missed out given the charges but he was in good form and I'd have Stewert and Slater over Hunt.

emil1989

Juniors
im jst saying theres no need for ennis or gidley..but if i were to pick a replacement hooker on form itd be ennis

roopy

Referee
Good on Perry for getting a run for Aus, but i wouldn't have him back at the Knights over Cross if he were on half the money.
He has looked good in a pack that has dominated the comp, but take the other big guys from around him and he would be as ordinary as ever.

emil1989

Juniors
and u dont pick a player on the bench in case sum1 gets injured..u can jst chuck laffranchi in the centres and inglis to fullback if u have to..laffranchi's explosive enough to play out there

the Lock8

Juniors
I hope Watmoughs jersey has a pocket in it to hold his white hanky so that he can wave it every time he surrenders in the tackle.:cool:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
LOL, is that the same bloke with 1 of the best tackle break numbers in the NRL

On the Cross v Perry debate, there are some differences between the 2 that the stats do not show

Cross is Newcastles forward leader, Perry is not that for Manly. His workrate doesn't need to be as high, because he has blokes like Stewart, Watrmough and Matai that get through a massive amount of work with the ball in hand. Lastly, the prop rotation at Manly is ahead of Newcastles that it gets shared between the blokes more evenly

Johns Magic

Referee
LOL, is that the same bloke with 1 of the best tackle break numbers in the NRL

On the Cross v Perry debate, there are some differences between the 2 that the stats do not show

Cross is Newcastles forward leader, Perry is not that for Manly. His workrate doesn't need to be as high, because he has blokes like Stewart, Watrmough and Matai that get through a massive amount of work with the ball in hand. Lastly, the prop rotation at Manly is ahead of Newcastles that it gets shared between the blokes more evenly

Yet Cross was the best prop in the premiership winning pack last year while Perry was sh*thouse in a pack he was supposed to be leading.

Yeah blind, bias, douchebags wanking on about why their reseve grade bench players aren't in the Australian side. f**k Me. And the rep players come from the clubs, well whoda thunk it.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah blind, bias, douchebags wanking on about why their reseve grade bench players aren't in the Australian side. f**k Me. And the rep players come from the clubs, well whoda thunk it.

People are going to give their input on who should be picked, and I try and stay as unbiased as possible. No one's pushing everyone from their club either so stop being a wanker.

Just because you don't actually have a club doesn't give you a mortgage over International discussion.

I do support a club, the f**kIN KNIGHTS, but I'm not so deluded to think that anyone other than Gidley should be in the Australian side. And if I followed Manly or Brisbane or any other side I wouldn't bitch and moan because some nuffy in my side didn't make the team either. If you're unbias you wouldn't come into a discussion about the Aussie team and only bang on about the players (or lack of) from your club.

Johns Magic

Referee
but I'm not so deluded to think that anyone other than Gidley should be in the Australian side.

That didn't quite make sense?

If you're unbias you wouldn't come into a discussion about the Aussie team and only bang on about the players (or lack of) from your club.

Sticking up for Ben Cross doesn't make me biased. I never said he should be in the squad, I wouldn't pick him if I was a selector because he didn't string enough games together. I just get sick of everyone bagging him purely because he's a Bellamy favourite.

I didn't bring him up in this discussion, so don't accuse me of that. And if the "club-centric" fans didn't post in this part of the forum it would probably get pretty quiet during the World cup.

ozbash

Referee
infighting already eh ?

suffice to say the aussies arnt too impressed with their selectors choices.

love to know the total and average age of that squad...

Frederick

Staff member
He went okay, nothing special though.
20 runs (most on field)
168 metres (most on field)
7 dummy half runs (equal most on field)
15 tackles (more than most fullbacks make in 5 rounds of footy)
0 inneffective tackles
4 1-on-1 tackles
4 tackle breaks
1 line break assist

In all that, he also created NSW's only try for the game.

Compare to Stewarts performances in Origins I and II:

I:
13 runs
105 metres
5 dummy half runs
2 tackles
0 inneffective
0 1 on 1 tackles
2 tackle breaks
1 line break

II:
9 runs
95 metres
1 dummy half run
10 tackles
0 inneffective
2 1 on 1 tackles
3 tackle breaks
0 line breaks

Then compare that to Slater's performance in a winning team in Origin III:
10 runs
106 metres
3 dummy half runs
1 tackle
3 inneffective tackles
1 1 on 1 tackle
3 tackle breaks
0 line breaks, 1 line break assist.

So if Gidley was nothing special, then what does that make Slater and Stewart?

gong_eagle

First Grade
The team I reckon Stuart will pick for the 1st game

01.Billy Slater (Storm),
02.Israel Folau (Storm),
03.Justin Hodges (Broncos),
04.Greg Inglis (Storm),
05.David Williams (Sea Eagles)
06.Darren Lockyer (Broncos),
07.Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys)
08.Petero Civoniceva (Panthers),
09 Cameron Smith (Storm)