What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Squad Announced

and why the heck was monaghan picked over cooper as much as i rate monaghan coopers been there, done that

o well..we'll jst wait and see

Monaghan is there for one reason, his form, who cares if coopers been there and done that? He's done 2/3ds of 5/8s of f**k all this year.

Big Pete

Referee
Wow there's been some dubious debates in this thread.

Firstly I'd like to address some of my fellow Queensland fans. While I love SoO honestly if you believe a competition that took place over three months ago holds a significant bearing over selections then you're sadly mislead. While some players (Tate, Fitzgibbon) can thanks their lucky stars for having a great series the majority were always going to get picked for being stand outs.

In any case here's a stat. that you maybe interested in:

11/21 QLD 08 Players made the squad aka 52%

compared to the Blues

6/23 NSW 08 Players made the squad aka 26%

And considering the series was only won by six points you'd have to agree it's only fair.

Downie

Guest Moderator
20 runs (most on field)
168 metres (most on field)
7 dummy half runs (equal most on field)
15 tackles (more than most fullbacks make in 5 rounds of footy)
0 inneffective tackles
4 1-on-1 tackles
4 tackle breaks
1 line break assist

In all that, he also created NSW's only try for the game.

Compare to Stewarts performances in Origins I and II:

I:
13 runs
105 metres
5 dummy half runs
2 tackles
0 inneffective
0 1 on 1 tackles
2 tackle breaks
1 line break

II:
9 runs
95 metres
1 dummy half run
10 tackles
0 inneffective
2 1 on 1 tackles
3 tackle breaks
0 line breaks

Then compare that to Slater's performance in a winning team in Origin III:
10 runs
106 metres
3 dummy half runs
1 tackle
3 inneffective tackles
1 1 on 1 tackle
3 tackle breaks
0 line breaks, 1 line break assist.

So if Gidley was nothing special, then what does that make Slater and Stewart?

You can't compare them just on stats. The amount of tackles don't tell you how many were try saving ones (Stewart > Gidley), how effective the runs were, how Gidley and Buderus were just Newcastling it around the ruck (;-)) etc.

And you also left out how many tries each player scored (Slater and Stewart > Gidley). And how many Origin games did Gidley win this year? As soon as he comes into the team, NSW start losing :p

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
ason
Yet Cross was the best prop in the premiership winning pack last year while Perry was sh*thouse in a pack he was supposed to be leading.

And last season neither were picked

We are talking 08 now, Cross was good this season, in very limited gametime, and didn't have big matches in the finals to showcase his wares.
Perry got into a new regime, was great all season, and performed in the big matches at the end of the year

Just on Cross, why the hell does he get spear tackled so much ??? Seems to always be on the end of them

adamkungl

Immortal
What's with all the Fitzgibbon bashing? NSW best forward this Origin series by far. I would have had Myles and Thaiday in, but at someone elses expense, probably Gallen and Tate.

my side

1 Slater
2 Williams
3 Hodges
4 Inglis
5 Folau
6 Lockyer
7 Prince
8 Civoneceva
9 Smith
10 Kite
11 Laffranchi
12 Fitzgibbon
13 G Stewart

14 Price
15 Perry
16 Watmough
17 Gidley

Poul

Juniors
This squad will probably bring home the World Cup, but I feel there are some weaknesses in the forwards in particular. The backs look fantastic, but if we get dominated up front by the Poms and the Kiwis, that may not account for much. Some of our forwards will have to play more than one good game for the series.
Bring it on, I can't wait :crazy:

I distinctly remember the same Knights fans in this thread telling me Cross was sh*t and didn't deserve to be in the NSW side earlier this year....While I was saying he's the only Knight who deserved to be picked.

Well done to Campo & Monas. The rest of the team...well I couldn't care less if they got stranded in the Andes mountains after a plane crash, and had to eat each other to survive.

Frederick

Staff member
I distinctly remember the same Knights fans in this thread telling me Cross was sh*t and didn't deserve to be in the NSW side earlier this year....While I was saying he's the only Knight who deserved to be picked.
When he was picked for NSW he had only played about 2 games for the Knights and was injured for all the rest, and had been picked solely on reputation. As soon as he started stringing some games together for us was he able to show (well, at least to us) the sort of form that warrented rep selection

Matt Cooper is no suprise omission...he add nothing in attack and did not deserve a spot.

Hunt can be considered unlucky...maybe he should go and play for NZ ???.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Wow there's been some dubious debates in this thread.

Firstly I'd like to address some of my fellow Queensland fans. While I love SoO honestly if you believe a competition that took place over three months ago holds a significant bearing over selections then you're sadly mislead. While some players (Tate, Fitzgibbon) can thanks their lucky stars for having a great series the majority were always going to get picked for being stand outs.

In any case here's a stat. that you maybe interested in:

11/21 QLD 08 Players made the squad aka 52%

compared to the Blues

6/23 NSW 08 Players made the squad aka 26%

And considering the series was only won by six points you'd have to agree it's only fair.

Dazzat and others need to take note of the above on how to make a rational post.

Well done Pete.

Pistol

Coach
Well done to Campo & Monas. The rest of the team...well I couldn't care less if they got stranded in the Andes mountains after a plane crash, and had to eat each other to survive.

Campese does deserve his spot. He's been imo one of the form players all year.

Johns Magic

Referee

Yes, there are a few fickle ones. I was backing him for Origin.

Shorty

Staff member
It's an interesting squad.
I think it's pretty obvious that Thaiday,Hunt and Bird were never going near it.
Some surprise inclusions and exclusions there.

sooperdooper

First Grade
question:
whats the easiest way to get a kangaroos jumper?

answer:
Grow a beard and get called the wolfman and fall over the line a couple of times.

his inclusion is a joke

Latest posts