What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Axed coach's $900K windfall

strider

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
"What's Brian Smith achieved? Zilch!"

Well, what has Michael Hagan achieved?

Theoretically yes - he won a Premiership. With the side he inherited, it's not hard to do.

:lol: :lol: - mate it wasn't theoretical - it was physical, emotional, mental, you name it - they have the throphy to show for it

I'd like to see JT given a go - some young enthusiasm .... but if they pick hagan, so be it.

eelavation said:
I didn't know so many of you have actually played under Hagan!!...it's amazing.

I know I have not ever played under Hagan, but Timana has and he is worried about Hagan coming to the club.

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
I know I have not ever played under Hagan, but Timana has and he is worried about Hagan coming to the club.

T's only speaking for himself not the team.

Stagger eel

Staff member
but in the fairdinkum department does anyone actually believe that he would be thrown back on the wing after what would be 2 succesful seasons at centre??

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:

Is he worried about Hagan coming to the club or is he just making sure it is clear to the coach he is now a centre? T doesn't want to go back to the wing, understandably given how well he performed and IMO just wants that known to Hagan before he arrives.

PB

Bench
My too biggest concerns are

1. Timana's comments a few weeks back. and in my opinion reading between the lines it was more than just being moved back to the wing. it was the rational and the confrontations behind not moving him to centre ahead of players like George Carmont at the Knights.

2. Wht we havent read any articles from Knights players saying they wanted Hagan to stay at the knights. Perhaps there has been some support, but it hasn't been loud vocal support!

The Colonel

Immortal
PB said:
2. Wht we havent read any articles from Knights players saying they wanted Hagan to stay at the knights. Perhaps there has been some support, but it hasn't been loud vocal support!

http://www.sportal.com.au/league.asp?i=news&id=75623

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/oh-brother-coach-riddle-has-gidleys-ready-to-quit/2005/12/17/1134703643595.html

Just two I know but there were plenty of televisioon reports of Knights supporting Hagan's retention much like there were with the Eels.

PB

Bench
The Colonel said:
http://www.sportal.com.au/league.asp?i=news&id=75623

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/oh-brother-coach-riddle-has-gidleys-ready-to-quit/2005/12/17/1134703643595.html

Just two I know but there were plenty of televisioon reports of Knights supporting Hagan's retention much like there were with the Eels.

Thanks for that.

You would expect Joey to stand by him as they have been mates for many years. And a wag could suggest that Mat Gidley is keen for him to stay because without Hagan, he would be in reserve grade.

I guess it is hard to expect too many quotes from players wanting Hagan to stay because apart from Joey, there are not many other players worthy of quoting from the club.

The Colonel

Immortal
PB said:
Thanks for that.

You would expect Joey to stand by him as they have been mates for many years. And a wag could suggest that Mat Gidley is keen for him to stay because without Hagan, he would be in reserve grade.

I guess it is hard to expect too many quotes from players wanting Hagan to stay because apart from Joey, there are not many other players worthy of quoting from the club.

There was a segment on Sports Tonight not long after it all came out with Clint Newton talking on behalf of the players and saying they still want him at the club but yes there aren't too many besides Joey who would be considered newsworthy at this stage. I think that has been a big part of the Newcastle problem given the lack of players he has had to work with.

The last BIG signing by the Knights was Ben Kennedy and most new players have either come from their local comp or like the signing of Davico and Smith - bargain replacements keen to show their careers aren't over. Given the quality that has left for one reason or another and the well reported lack of facilities IMO Hagan has done admirably.

strider

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
The last BIG signing by the Knights was Ben Kennedy and most new players have either come from their local comp or like the signing of Davico and Smith - bargain replacements keen to show their careers aren't over. Given the quality that has left for one reason or another and the well reported lack of facilities IMO Hagan has done admirably.

ummmmm - but isn't that also a bad thing?

Newcastle's recruitment/retention policy was to stick ALL their eggs in Andrew John's basket ... and ONLY go with local juniors ... and I'd say its been a failure ... and this would have been Hagan's doing ..... this is my biggest concern with him

The Colonel

Immortal
strider said:
ummmmm - but isn't that also a bad thing?

Newcastle's recruitment/retention policy was to stick ALL their eggs in Andrew John's basket ... and ONLY go with local juniors ... and I'd say its been a failure ... and this would have been Hagan's doing ..... this is my biggest concern with him

Has it been all his doing though? Newcastle has been in financial trouble for a long time and they have not been able to compete against some of the other clubs - given the likes of not only Johns but the Gidleys, Hughes, Buderus, Perry, Simpson and a few others were allegedly on large salaries the club wasn't necessarily in a position to negotiate big dollar contracts either. While Hagan would have a say in recruitment/retention, in the end it comes down to what sort of dollars are available in the end to sign players.

strider

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Has it been all his doing though? Newcastle has been in financial trouble for a long time and they have not been able to compete against some of the other clubs - given the likes of not only Johns but the Gidleys, Hughes, Buderus, Perry, Simpson and a few others were allegedly on large salaries the club wasn't necessarily in a position to negotiate big dollar contracts either. While Hagan would have a say in recruitment/retention, in the end it comes down to what sort of dollars are available in the end to sign players.

do the knights operate at or close to the salary cap? ... if so (and I think the answer is yes - very few teams operate substantially under the cap), then their financial problems have nothing to do with it - they are paying players what they can under the cap

johns should not be getting salary increases every time his contract is up - all the other big names are taking pay cuts as their career heads towards its end and the salary cap bites - and whoever is responsible for retention at the newcastle club should be drawing a line in the sand and saying no for the good of the club

Stagger eel

Staff member
also, I think you'll find that the whole club was under immense pressure from fans and sponsors to tie up Joey and never had much choice but to fork out the big bucks for him which consequently for Newcastle, cost them BK and T and a chunk of the sallary cap.

Stagger eel

Staff member
strider said:
johns should not be getting salary increases every time his contract is up - all the other big names are taking pay cuts as their career heads towards its end and the salary cap bites - and whoever is responsible for retention at the newcastle club should be drawing a line in the sand and saying no for the good of the club

have you thought of Johns is worth to the club in terms of corporate dollers and sponsorship, I read somewhere he could be worth up to 1 million off the field.

The Colonel

Immortal
strider said:
do the knights operate at or close to the salary cap? ... if so (and I think the answer is yes - very few teams operate substantially under the cap), then their financial problems have nothing to do with it - they are paying players what they can under the cap

Letting Johns walk out of Newcastle would have been financial suicide for the club. Remember up until just recently they were relying on loans to get them through the end of the season. Johns leaving would have seen dollars walk out of the club in a big way. To not give him what he asked would have been to their own detriment. Considering he and Buderus take up the bulk of the salary cap currently that means 23 players either need pay cuts or a new job and then the retention policy revolves around low budget players. They are negotiating the backing of Wests Leagues Club and have only just received committed major sponsorship from two sources in the past six months.

It is a whole different scenario at Parramatta at the moment.

Macca_

Coach
I think Hagan will do well with us. I'm prepared to give him a fair crack at it too.

So what about the spoon. Look at the playing roster he had for the season and the injuries to major players for so long.

Origin? Pffft. 1 of 2 teams can win origin. It wasn't like the NSW side he played was full of reggies.

Inherited a squad in 2001... So what. Still had to get the job done. How many 'good squads' are getting about that have not won a premiership? How many good squads has Smith had that haven't won a premiership? At least the guy HAS won a premiership.

I've never really had an opinion on him as a coach, but some of the bagging he has recieved in my opinion is unfair.

At least give him a go. We haven't won a premiership since 1986. Can he do worse then Smiths 10 year reign? At least he has the experience of winning the big one. And as has been mentioned, our facilities far outweight what he has had to work with at Newcastle.

Give him a go hey!

The Colonel

Immortal
Macca_ said:
I think Hagan will do well with us. I'm prepared to give him a fair crack at it too.

So what about the spoon. Look at the playing roster he had for the season and the injuries to major players for so long.

Origin? Pffft. 1 of 2 teams can win origin. It wasn't like the NSW side he played was full of reggies.

Inherited a squad in 2001... So what. Still had to get the job done. How many 'good squads' are getting about that have not won a premiership? How many good squads has Smith had that haven't won a premiership? At least the guy HAS won a premiership.

I've never really had an opinion on him as a coach, but some of the bagging he has recieved in my opinion is unfair.

At least give him a go. We haven't won a premiership since 1986. Can he do worse then Smiths 10 year reign? At least he has the experience of winning the big one. And as has been mentioned, our facilities far outweight what he has had to work with at Newcastle.

Give him a go hey!

:iwstupid: :clap:

Latest posts