What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Axed coach's $900K windfall

fish eel

Immortal
there are better options both within the club and at other clubs too.

I think there are better options as well, but I'm more than happy to see how he goes before I start running him down, and I also dont feel the need to insult those here are hoping Hagan signs with us.

The 3rd games of 2004/05 we're pathetic displays from QLD, absolutely pathetic. And the teams they put on the park looked great on paper, so who else can you blame?

Have a look a the team sheet again and you'll see huge gap in talent between those two sides.

The Colonel

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:
Well, he can thank Warren Ryan for that one can't he? Everyone brings up that one premiership but ignores all his failures. Open your eyes people.

Regardless of the circumstances behind how it was won in the end he still had to coach the team and get them there. Hagan was the bloke sitting in the box at the end of the game, not Ryan......

Put Langmack or Coleman in the same situation and I'd doubt things would go so well....

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
fish eel said:
I think there are better options as well, but I'm more than happy to see how he goes before I start running him down, and I also dont feel the need to insult those here are hoping Hagan signs with us.

Nice of you to ignore who took the first swing there. To refresh your memory..

"All you people who are against Hagan before he even arrives, your warm milk & freshly baked cookies are ready. Also your baby dummies are ready, they have been soaked in water"

Anyway..

fish eel said:
Have a look a the team sheet again and you'll see huge gap in talent between those two sides.

:lol: I assume you've forgotten the line-ups. The QLD side could have matched the Blues easily if they played to their potential, but they didn't. Hagan should take the blame there.

The Colonel said:
Regardless of the circumstances behind how it was won in the end he still had to coach the team and get them there. Hagan was the bloke sitting in the box at the end of the game, not Ryan......

Put Langmack or Coleman in the same situation and I'd doubt things would go so well....

I agree, in fact I think we'll win in 2007 if we sign Hagan. He'll do it again on the back of what Brian Smith has done for us. But what about 2008? Look at the names we have off contract in 2007. Off the top of my head there's Tim Smith, Tahu, Grothe, Vella and some more that slip my mind at the moment. If even some of those blokes leave, then what? How will he handle that? History says not well, and that's what frightens me about him (among other things).

That and if we win in 2007, I can see Fitzy extending his contract further and praising himself the the "masterstroke" of bringing in Hagan.

The Colonel

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:
I agree, in fact I think we'll win in 2007 if we sign Hagan. He'll do it again on the back of what Brian Smith has done for us. But what about 2008? Look at the names we have off contract in 2007. Off the top of my head there's Tim Smith, Tahu, Grothe, Vella and some more that slip my mind at the moment. If even some of those blokes leave, then what? How will he handle that? History says not well, and that's what frightens me about him (among other things).

That and if we win in 2007, I can see Fitzy extending his contract further and praising himself the the "masterstroke" of bringing in Hagan.

There are a number of blokes off contract this year as well. It happens. The fact of the matter is you need to be able to replace those players either through the juniors or through new signings. As I have already argued Hagan is on a hiding to nothing at the Knights - Joey was a must keep for them both as a player and the money that he brings in sponsorship dollars. Looking from the outside IMO he was hamstrung by the lack of funds available to attract new players who were reluctant to come given the lack of off-field resources. The Knights who up until recently didn't have the financial resources of most Jim Beam Cup sides haven't been able to attract big names to the club since Kennedy nor have they been able to stop some of the more well off clubs poaching their top juniors. This has come about from a number of high long term salaries to some of their players who around 2001 and 2002 were playing much better than they were now and a club who at the moment still hasn't the backing of a Leagues club.....

The likelihood of Fitzgerald and the board allowing what has happened at the Knights, either through Hagan or their boards mismanagement to happen again given the circumstances before Smith's arrival are slim.....

PB

Bench
The Colonel said:
Familiarity can breed contempt and a change in ideas could be enough to generate what has been missing in the past. While Taylor and Sharp have done a great job the continuation of what has already been put in place may not necessarily be the right option to take. By placing some new ideas in an already successful situation may well be......

Time will obviously tell, but in terms of being a coach with "new ideas", he ran off the back of arguably one of the best coaching minds ever in Warren Ryan, and has since had use of arguably the best playing brain ever in A.Johns.

He hasn't done anything to suggest he will bring new ideas to the club. Maybe he will come with the ideas of Ryan and Johns which will be great, but i have severe reservations.

I have played my fair share of sport have had more qualified coaches who haven't got the best out of teams because they don't connect, or don't obtain the respect of the players the way other coaches can. It would appear Sharp and Taylor have earnt that and it shouldnt be underestimated.

The Colonel

Immortal
PB said:
I have played my fair share of sport have had more qualified coaches who haven't got the best out of teams because they don't connect, or don't obtain the respect of the players the way other coaches can. It would appear Sharp and Taylor have earnt that and it shouldnt be underestimated.

I've been on the other side where mates have become coaches and have struggled to separate themselves from being a good mate and a good coach. In the end it leads to problems in the team when a mate is favoured ahead of a much better player........

PB

Bench
The Colonel said:
I've been on the other side where mates have become coaches and have struggled to separate themselves from being a good mate and a good coach. In the end it leads to problems in the team when a mate is favoured ahead of a much better player........

Very True.

But it would appear that Jason and Peter are beyond that as can be viewed in their results.

Macca_

Coach
ParraDude_Jay said:
Look at Hagan's record; 2001: Premiership, 2002: Choked in the GF qualifier, 2003: Smashed in week 1 of the finals, 2004: Couldn't make the finals, 2005: Wooden spoon!!
You must have just about necked yourself over Smith's coaching record. I mean before he took over at Parra that is.
God knows how you have surived the last 10 years as well... :D

Do people mind if we stop pointing out the wooden spoon? It's great rubbing their fans noses in it, but look at the squad they had. And the injuries! It wouldn't have mattered who the coach was, they would have got the spoon. When Johns and co came back from injury they went on that end of season run. Beating us in the process!

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Macca_ said:
Do people mind if we stop pointing out the wooden spoon? It's great rubbing their fans noses in it, but look at the squad they had. And the injuries! It wouldn't have mattered who the coach was, they would have got the spoon. When Johns and co came back from injury they went on that end of season run. Beating us in the process!

Look at the close games they lost. They won the wooden spoon by 2 points behind Canberra, and with all those close games that a good coach would have won at least some of, then you can't blame just injuries. Hagan hasn't proven he's a good coach that will be good for us yet, and people have a right to be against his appointment.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Macca_ said:

Did you miss the start of the season when Johns was in the team and they went 0-6?

El Diablo

Post Whore
ParraDude_Jay said:
Look at the close games they lost. They won the wooden spoon by 2 points behind Canberra, and with all those close games that a good coach would have won at least some of, then you can't blame just injuries. Hagan hasn't proven he's a good coach that will be good for us yet, and people have a right to be against his appointment.

well apparently if you want to knock Hagan's coaching there's a few things you're not supposed to mention

*Origin losses
*Wooden spoon

Stagger eel

Staff member
El Diablo said:
well apparently if you want to knock Hagan's coaching there's a few things you're not supposed to mention

*Origin losses
*Wooden spoon

out of curiosity, who would you put there?

btw, I'd prefer premiership winner!!...and he did that didn't he?

Hurriflatch

Referee
eelavation said:

I'd prefer Smith to have been kept on and if not then JT but of all 3 Hagan is the only one to have won a 1st grade title

Macca_

Coach
ParraDude_Jay said:
Yeah, that last pass that should have been throw. That knock on when he should have scored. Missed field goal. Missed tackle. He just can't get a team over the line.

The guy hasn't proven he is a bad coach either.

Who said you didn't have a right?

El Diablo

Post Whore
eelavation said:

I'd give Taylor a go as I feel it has far less repercussions or even keep Smith for a year.

eelavation said:

Chris Anderson has won two. Would you like him as coach?

Macca_

Coach
El Diablo wake up to yourself mate!

Nobody said you can't say those things. I myself have talked about why perhaps those things shouldn't be held against him entirely. There is really no point argueing with someone who thinks they are the be all and end all and I have stated my reasons why. Your yet to come up with any others.

On the 0 and start. Fair point. All teams have form runs though I guess and as they showed intheir run in, they can put them together too.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Macca_ said:
El Diablo wake up to yourself mate!

Nobody said you can't say those things.

Macca_ said:
The opposite question is - what has the guy done to not be wanted as our coach? Reasons like inheriting a squad, origin losses etc which I just posted about are not good enough answers for me.

seems like that's what you're saying to me. Now the wooden spoon has been added to the list.

Macca_

Coach
Guess you shouldn't read so much into things then.

I just stated that those reasons solely, with out taking a closer look at them are not good enough answers for me.

If you thought I said 'You can't say that' well you thought wrong in this instance.