What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Axed coach's $900K windfall

yy_cheng

Coach
Axed coach's $900K windfall
By Peter Badel
January 15, 2006

MICHAEL Hagan is a fortnight away from agreeing to a $900,000 deal to succeed Brian Smith as Parramatta coach in 2007.

Hagan all but confirmed he would take up the Parramatta job as Broncos legend Kevin Walters declared his interest in launching his NRL coaching career at the Knights - the club Hagan is leaving.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that after months of interest in Hagan, the Eels intensified their pursuit by tabling a three-year deal before Christmas.

The deal, which is understood to be worth $300,000 a season, came in the wake of talks between Hagan and Eels supremo Denis Fitzgerald.

And Hagan yesterday gave the strongest indication he would accept the Parramatta job after being informed by Newcastle management on Friday that this season would be his last in charge of the Knights.

"It (the Parramatta job) is an option I'd definitely consider taking up," Hagan said. "Parramatta are a strong club, they have a good playing roster and part of the attraction is the resources and new infrastructure that we haven't quite had at Newcastle.

"I have been offered a deal by Parramatta, but I don't want to elaborate. I'd rather concentrate on my job with the Knights."

Parramatta chairman Alan Overton last night refused to comment on the prospect of the club striking a deal with Hagan.

But Newcastle's decision to sever ties is sure to accelerate talks and Hagan's appointment at Parramatta is expected in the next fortnight. Hagan, who delivered the Knights a premiership in his maiden year as coach in 2001, said he had no plans to stop coaching.

Advertisement:

"My initial thought was to continue in my role here for a couple more years, but that is not happening now and there are only so many coaching jobs available," Hagan said. "There's no ill-feeling with the Knights. I'm excited about the season ahead and I will see out my term." With the Hagan issue resolved, the Knights will begin the search for his successor.

In dire financial straits just eight months ago, Newcastle is now cashed-up following a recent $4 million sponsorship deal involving advertising tycoon John Singleton and will not baulk at paying top-dollar for their new coach.

Walters, dumped as Wayne Bennett's assistant at the Broncos in September, last night said he would relish an opportunity at the Knights.

"If Newcastle are interested, I wouldn't knock them back," he said. "I've picked up a lot from Wayne Bennett in the 15 years I have known him and now is the time to put that to use, as well as my own ideas. The Knights have a very exciting young team and it's a league-mad town. Working with 'Joey' (Andrew Johns) is certainly an attraction."

The Sunday Telegraph

http://sport.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17821050-23214,00.html

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Hagan should be the one paying the Eels 300k a year to coach here. The bloke's an absolute HACK, he's slowly brought down every team he's coached.

The only positive I can come up with in regards to Hagan is that he may have a trick or two he learnt from Joey to pass on to Timmy, but even that's clutching at straws. I swear, if he brings a Gidley with him I'll start the anti-Hagan protests myself.

Where's the logic Fitzy? Not re-signing the coach who won the minor premiership in order to sign the one who won the wooden spoon? What an absolute goose. He's a curse on this club. Brian's not the one who needs to go, Fitzy is! I bet he didn't even once consider Tim Sheens for the job, no, that'd be too smart for Fitzy to do. I've lost all respect I had for this bloke after this Hagan bullsh*t! What does Hagan bring to this club? Nothing, absolutely nothing. There are dark times ahead for us.

ARGH! This is too frustrating, I need sleep.

Sterling

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
Hagan should be the one paying the Eels 300k a year to coach here. The bloke's an absolute HACK, he's slowly brought down every team he's coached.

The only positive I can come up with in regards to Hagan is that he may have a trick or two he learnt from Joey to pass on to Timmy, but even that's clutching at straws. I swear, if he brings a Gidley with him I'll start the anti-Hagan protests myself.

Where's the logic Fitzy? Not re-signing the coach who won the minor premiership in order to sign the one who won the wooden spoon? What an absolute goose. He's a curse on this club. Brian's not the one who needs to go, Fitzy is! I bet he didn't even once consider Tim Sheens for the job, no, that'd be too smart for Fitzy to do. I've lost all respect I had for this bloke after this Hagan bullsh*t! What does Hagan bring to this club? Nothing, absolutely nothing. There are dark times ahead for us.

my thoughts exactly .... how can we possibly chase a coach who just took out the spoon .....

shiftysmith

Juniors
this is going to be my first year(2006) as a minor sponsor of parramatta but let me say if hagan is appointed as coach it will also be my last...i can not see what is so special about him..he is a sh*t coach with no people skills and fitzy wants to bring him to one of the best run clubs to do what, just stuff it up...

dazeely

First Grade
Looks like we can say goodbye to JT as well as Brian. 3 years is a bit rich. Can't blame JT for flying the coop. That will be my biggest dissapointment.

paulb88

Juniors
What a load of crap! I'd much rather JT than Hagan...

How are they gonna explain 2005 minor premiers to 2006 spooners

dazeely

First Grade
paulb88 said:
What a load of crap! I'd much rather JT than Hagan...

How are they gonna explain 2005 minor premiers to 2006 spooners

I think you mean

2005 minor premiers, 2006 premiers to 2007 spooners.

the_eel

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:

AGREE 100%. Christ I honestly can't believe this looks like its really gonna happen. Hagan does absolutely nothing for me and I have a feeling that JT may well go on to be one of the best coaches going around....but unfortunately not at our club

Smartman

Juniors
You all seem to forget the year 2001 when he coached newcastle against a supposedely unbackable favourite to WIN it all?

Angry_eel

First Grade
Smartman said:
You all seem to forget the year 2001 when he coached newcastle against a supposedely unbackable favourite to WIN it all?
you seem to forget the johns effect.

strider

Post Whore
Smartman said:

a side he inherited from someone else - not a side he built .... yeah kennedy was the star - along with johns, simpson etc etc .... the players played out of their skins that 1st half.... the coach probably had an influence too no doubt - but if he's some super coach why haven't newcastle been in the GF every year since? - they've had alot of talent in their team at times since 2001

no one is saying hagan is completely crap .... just that ppl feel there are better options

Bicey_18

Bench
strider said:
a side he inherited from someone else - not a side he built .... yeah kennedy was the star - along with johns, simpson etc etc .... the players played out of their skins that 1st half.... the coach probably had an influence too no doubt - but if he's some super coach why haven't newcastle been in the GF every year since? - they've had alot of talent in their team at times since 2001

no one is saying hagan is completely crap .... just that ppl feel there are better options

Exactly, Warren Ryan built that side and Hagan was handed that side....
Now he has drove us right down to the bottom.. collecting our 1st spoon

Wonder if JT will take Hagan's place?

BD5733

Juniors
Some of you people are saying that if Newcastle are winning it's because of Andrew Johns but if they are losing it's because of Hagan........thats laughable.

You need to face the fact that even good, and great coaches have bad seasons. How did Sheens go at the Cowboys?

I think Hagan will bring alot to our team. He is highly regarded by people in the know and I know I'd rather take their opinions over some disgruntled Knights fans who may be bitter over his departure.