What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bears launch bid to return

jdizzle

Juniors
fair enough, but i just don't understand that thinking at all, its foreign to me.

I prefer not to be bitter. I prefer to support a team in the competition.

Thankfully the Roosters will be in the competition forever. And will always be at Bondi.

Fein

First Grade
I prefer not to be bitter. I prefer to support a team in the competition.

Thankfully the Roosters will be in the competition forever. And will always be at Bondi.

:lol:

As loyal as a car dealer. :lol:

The Tank

Bench
2011 is a bit strange, but best of luck. Hope to see both the Bears and Reds in followed by Wellington.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
http://northsydneybears.com.au/Bears Den/News/Reports/20090109-florimo-aims-for-2011.htm

FLORIMO AIMS FOR 2011
9th January 2009, North Shore Times
By Joshua Levi

MEMORIES: Greg Florimo looks at his first Norths jersey from 1986 in 'The Mighty Bears 100 years of Rugby League' exhibition at North Sydney Heritage Centre, Stanton Library. Photo: Brad Hunter
(click to see bigger image)

Within five years, the Bears and the Sea Eagles could once again be doing battle at North Sydney Oval.

According to Bears, Football Club general manager and club great Greg Florimo, the club will submit a proposal this year to be reinstated as the central Coast Bears in 201l.

"It's the little carrot that we will be back in the NRL one day that keeps us all going. Now there is an opportunity to take advantage of an opening that is presenting itself, and we are ready to go with it," Florimo said.

The best-case scenario for the North Shore is for the under-16 and under-18 representatives sides to play out of North Sydney Oval, but all the senior teams would be based on the Central Coast.

"The structure remains to be seen, but we have great support from our junior clubs and we want to maintain that support. We will take the North Sydney tradition and the huge fan base to the central Coast with us."

Florimo said the Bears have spoken to the NRL and several key stakeholders, and the revival is no longer a pipe-dream.

"We'd like to think we'll be at the NRL by midseason with our business plan. We’re looking at 2011 for a return, but ... the timing is up to the NRL and has a lot to do with the renegotiation of television rights."

"The plan is to bring the Bears vs Manly to North Sydney Oval, and maybe one or two other games as well. I have no doubt we'll be able to pack the stands."

While the club's focus is on the future, it has joined forces with the Stanton Library to create an exhibition that commemorates 100 year ofthe North Sydney Bears, including old jerseys, trophies and photos since the club's inception in 1908.

North Sydney major Genia McCaffrey said the exhibition is an asset to the community.

"The exhibition is a great way to show how the history of the game is intertwined with the history of our local area."

"It celebrates the achievements of the club and shines the spotlight on great players like Herman Peters, Ken Irvine and Greg Florimo." she said.
Not with Gallop in charge it wont happen! Whats this: 201l. 2011?

Ausguy

Coach
anyone here from the central coast?

how would u feel if the central coast bears were put into the comp?

would u prefer your own team from scratch rather than a old defunct team being re-instated?

what about some other names, suggestions??

central coast.... ?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I have a life. :fist:

Ausguy I'm on the Coast... Ideally I'd like a fresh team, but any team playing TWELVE games here would be fantastic and I'd be a member without hesitation.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I fail to see what the cancellation of a trial in the interests of safety has to do with the Central Coast's aspirations.

Under normal circumstances there will be opportunity for the turf to regenerate between the conclusion of the A-League and the beginning of the NRL season.

Red Bear

Referee
Coming from a Bears and Liverpool fan?

Hold on. You go for the Bears AND Liverpool?
Sorry, but Chelsea fans tend to be bandwaggoners who only very recently started supporting the club and have similar attitudes to loyalty as yourself (if the roosters went bust you wouldnt care apparently, you'd just find another team). This isnt in the slightest a roosters bashing, its more of a jdizzle bashing, because you came on hear sprouting crap such as
The Bears should just get over it. No one cares about them anymore besides the fans who are too stubborn to move on.
Which is, as i just said, utter crap.