What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beau Henry to Canterbury

Actually your great merger of a club was only founded in 1999 , not only did you have access to a huge base of existing talent and juniors you made a financial gain and yet still cannot win a premiership.

I wonder if your first Eight post where as insightfull as that one . When i was young I had a Milkman who had a Horse and cart and the milkman sliped over in the sh*t face first . Something like what you are doing now.:oops:

ingles

Juniors
I wonder if your first Eight post where as insightfull as that one . When i was young I had a Milkman who had a Horse and cart and the milkman sliped over in the sh*t face first . Something like what you are doing now.:oops:

DSIS ...go easy on the young fella ..... you'll probably spoil the rest of his day at school .....

patzz_

Juniors
Actually your great merger of a club was only founded in 1999 , not only did you have access to a huge base of existing talent and juniors you made a financial gain and yet still cannot win a premiership.

Oi buddy where do you think half our players have come from for the past 100 years?

SET2JT

Juniors
We might not have won a premiership but we also havent spent over the cap and won the spoon in the same year. Oh wait you might not remember this as u were still breast feeding at the time.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Actually Willow, St George goes back to 1908. There was a meeting at Rockdale town hall in 1908 to try and get a side in the new competition, but the NSWRL (which was run as a club commission interestingly at the time) turned them down because the district didn't have enough players.

St George fielded sides in lower grade and district comps though as early as 1908. It took 12 years for St George to get strong enough to warrant a side.

We entered the comp just as the Bears won their first and only 2 premierships in a row...
The earliest recorded connections with the Illawarra are in the early 1920s. It's quite possible there was a connection prior to this.

We should have formed a first grade team in 1908, but rugby union scuttled that. We had a NSWRL third grade team by 1910.

As far as we know, the first St George RL juniors were formed in 1908 following meetings in 1907. Joe McGraw was a key figure in the formation of St George DRLFC. It was around the same time as the famous meetings at Victor Trumper's store.

Rockdale Town Hall, Friday, February 28, 1908: A meeting was held at Rockdale Town Hall, south of Sydney. Mainly instigated by St George Rugby League pioneers, Messers W. Munn and Joe McGraw, the meeting was attended by New South Wales Rugby League officials and Rugby Union players from the local district.

At this meeting, a St George Rugby League club was definitely formed with chairman of the meeting, Alderman and Mayor W. Taylor being elected as President.
NSWRL chairman, Henry Clement Hoyle delivered a convincing address and the Rugby Union players in attendance unanimously voted in favour of joining the new Rugby League.
However, pressure from Rugby Union saw a swift change of mind with only three players actually signing up, one of those being Ted Courtney who later became a member of the first Kangaroos.
According to The Bulletin, in campaigning against the new game, there was a hasty exit to the door. But other reports in The St George Call and The Rugby League News painted a different picture, stating the meeting was well attended and that the motion to form a League club in St George was carried. Nevertheless, the end result was disappointment for the organisers and a new approach was required.

[SIZE=-1]
http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/history/1907-1920.php[/SIZE]

In contrast, Canterbury are just kid brothers. 'Sprogs' is a fair description.

In 1935, Saints slaughtered the newbies 91-6 - a premiership record. It still upsets Berries supporters to this day.

SAINTS ANNIHILATE BERRIES 91 - 6
[SIZE=+1]'EARL PARK MASSACRE' [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]HISTORIC WIN[/SIZE]

Earl Park, 11 May 1935: Saints delivered a stunning footballing lesson to competition newcomers, Canterbury - Bankstown when they posted a record premiership win of 91-6 (NB: this equates to 110-6 on modern scoring). One can but imagine what was going through the minds of the slaughtered as they came to terms with a premiership loss that in all likelihood, will never be surpassed.
Canterbury opened the scoring with two goals from the boot of Carey and led 4-0. But St George cut loose, running up a half time lead of 21-6. Saints' line was never crossed and by full time, as they scored 19 tries and 17 goals as every player in the team made it onto the scorecard.
St George winger, Les Griffin posted a club record for most points and goals scored in a first grade match when he posted 36 points (2 tries, 15 goals). This 36 points record only being equaled in 1947 by Jack Lindwall.
[SIZE=-1](NB: Griffin's and Lindwall's record stood as an all-grade club record. But this was broken decades later when third grader Wes Naiqama score 38 points in a Jersey Flegg match in 2002).
Les's record of 15 goals in one match still stands not only as a club record but it is also a competition record held jointly with Easts' Dave Brown.[/SIZE]

Scorers for St George
Tries: Max Hollingsworth 4, Len Kelly 3, Les Griffin 2, Percy Fairall 2, Jim Rutherford 2, J. Flower, P. White, Bill 'Wombo' Killiby, Eddie Root, Charlie 'Chikker' Rice, Fred 'Yappy' Gardner. Goals: Les Griffin 15, Stan Robinson, Jack Lynch.
Referee: J. Murphy.

http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/history/1935-1939.php

Milkman

Juniors
DSIS ...go easy on the young fella ..... you'll probably spoil the rest of his day at school .....

No seeing you imbeciles get so fired up about the truth is hilarious, the fact that st george illawarra have never won a premiership, and the last time st george tasted success was in the seventies, so suck on my bottles of full cream.

Milkman

Juniors
We might not have won a premiership but we also havent spent over the cap and won the spoon in the same year. Oh wait you might not remember this as u were still breast feeding at the time.

What can i say, your mum has always produced the best milk.

Milkman

Juniors
The earliest recorded connections with the Illawarra are in the early 1920s. It's quite possible there was a connection prior to this.

We should have formed a first grade team in 1908, but rugby union scuttled that. We had a NSWRL third grade team by 1910.

As far as we know, the first St George RL juniors were formed in 1908 following meetings in 1907. Joe McGraw was a key figure in the formation of St George DRLFC. It was around the same time as the famous meetings at Victor Trumper's store.

In contrast, Canterbury are just kid brothers. 'Sprogs' is a fair description.

In 1935, Saints slaughtered the newbies 91-6 - a premiership record. It still upsets Berries supporters to this day.

Lol funny that st george were established in 1921, the berries in 1935, now tell me who won a premiership first? That would be the berries, so you keep on glorifying one win and know that the berries claimed a premiership first and you had a 14 year headstart.

patzz_

Juniors
Lol funny that st george were established in 1921, the berries in 1935, now tell me who won a premiership first? That would be the berries, so you keep on glorifying one win and know that the berries claimed a premiership first and you had a 14 year headstart.

Yep and the might red V is the most famous rugby league jersey in the world. Enough said.

patzz_

Juniors
Where did this come from, arrogant much ?

Source = 0

Enough said.

Well I duno if u heard but we won 11 premierships in a row once upon a time, and we were the most recognised team by all league followers, alot of those people are still around today. Believe it all not winning 11 premierships in a row, in any sport I may add, does create some recognition and from this st george was given worldwide recognition. Not only that but St George is after all a patron saint of many countries and the red v is also on the England jersey. But still theres alot of other jerseys that are probaly more well known, maybey the blue and white of cantebury?

Milkman

Juniors
Well I duno if u heard but we won 11 premierships in a row once upon a time, and we were the most recognised team by all league followers, alot of those people are still around today. Believe it all not winning 11 premierships in a row, in any sport I may add, does create some recognition and from this st george was given worldwide recognition. Not only that but St George is after all a patron saint of many countries and the red v is also on the England jersey. But still theres alot of other jerseys that are probaly more well known, maybey the blue and white of cantebury?

First of all the england team does not carry a red v on its chest its is a + , to replicate their flag, maybe you should look at the jersey before you talk sh*t. I find it hard to believe that the st george dragons are well known in china or india where near half of the worlds population is located, again source please or are you talking sh*t again?

nrlnrl

First Grade
sorry to be boring & actually write about the topic, but Canterbury & Newcastle are both interested in signing Beau Henry....

Latest posts