What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Te'o cleared by police

Flapper

First Grade
My main issue with media reporting is how it gets reported in non heartland areas.
For example, when those two Roosters Toyota Cup guys got sacked for shitting where they shouldn't be shitting it made the front page of the Melbourne MX with something referencing that RL is a disgrace. On the other hand, when Albert Proud was found guilty of glassing a woman it was buried in the Queensland paper (this was the same day Jake Friend made the back page for drink driving despite not even playing 10 games at that time). If you don't notice a discrepancy in that regard you're deliberately turning a blind eye to it.

Another case in point, I read nothing about Heath Franklin in today's paper. I can guarantee Teo was in theirs.

magpie4ever

First Grade
only after it had been reported by vexnews

they failed to report it before then even though it happened to a journalist and they knew about it

seems you're another nut who thinks October 9 is before October 8

So using ED's logic, the state and national newspapers were not going to report it until Vexnews reported it on October 8, then they all rushed into print on October 9. Good one, sir.

El Diablo

Post Whore
So using ED's logic, the state and national newspapers were not going to report it until Vexnews reported it on October 8, then they all rushed into print on October 9. Good one, sir.

correct

it happened to a female journalist and the paper chose not to report it until after the story got out on vexnews

perhaps you can explain why it wasn't reported until the day after they did?

http://www.vexnews.com/2009/10/firk...-journalist-in-female-toilets-rocks-football/

CONE OF SILENCE

While the Herald Sun has reported on his antics in general terms, it appears to have decided not to report on the sexual harassment incident at the request of the journalist, Herald Sun Confidential reporter [deleted].

Carlton sources say that she believes that complaining about the issue would not have a positive impact on her career or on the newspaper’s relationship with footballers and Carlton in particular. Carlton is believed to be very grateful about the way the Herald Sun – Melbourne’s leading newspaper – has sensitively handled what could have been an explosive situation between them.

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
The roosters sacking was more of a mutual agreement. My understanding is carney asked to be let go. You can hardly ban him for a year under those circumstances. Also his indiscretions at the roosters were of a much less serious nature than those at Canberra.

I said in regards to johns 'all future Rugby league employment' not just any employment. Still what johns did as a player was nowhere near bad enough to ban him being a commentator. Sure he f*cked up , but they were hardly serious offences.

Btw , who should be the judge of such a ban on someone like johns commentating ?

Lastly , sure Dugan has carried on like a tosser. But that's not a good enough reason to sit him out for a year. And clearly the NRL agree as they reviewed his contract with the dragons.

You say it's not up to you to forgive , but your more than happy to pass your moral judgement on to these players.

If that's how the Carney thing went down then that's fair enough.

I would call Johns's offences serious. If he'd been taking drugs his whole career like he said then if he was caught at any time it would be a two year ban. I don't think anyone can really ban anyone from being a commentator, what I was saying is nine shouldn't have him on and treat him as a role model to juniors.

Yeah, Dugan doing what he did is plenty reason to ban him for a year, especially when Carney was. And I don't think Robert Lui should be playing first grade either, but at least he was banned for the rest of last year.

Of course I'm going to say that I think what they did is wrong. There is nothing wrong with that. But there is nothing to forgive. They aren't seeking forgiveness from me. My 'forgiveness' means nothing.

magpie4ever

First Grade
My main issue with media reporting is how it gets reported in non heartland areas.
For example, when those two Roosters Toyota Cup guys got sacked for shitting where they shouldn't be shitting it made the front page of the Melbourne MX with something referencing that RL is a disgrace. On the other hand, when Albert Proud was found guilty of glassing a woman it was buried in the Queensland paper (this was the same day Jake Friend made the back page for drink driving despite not even playing 10 games at that time). If you don't notice a discrepancy in that regard you're deliberately turning a blind eye to it.

Another case in point, I read nothing about Heath Franklin in today's paper. I can guarantee Teo was in theirs.

Who the f**k are these guys, someone might know a little more about AFL then he is letting on.

And I can't remember the Rooster's shitting eposide - was it front page of the Tele or Herald?

magpie4ever

First Grade
correct

it happened to a female journalist and the paper chose not to report it until after the story got out on vexnews

Is it possible one goes to print and one is an internet site. Print stories are sent to the print the night before - if it appeared on October 9, it was with the printers on October 8. Possible; yes, no.

The 2 of you missed the point intentionally didn't you? El Diablo made the claim that the media wouldn't report on it if this was an afl player, and used the Fevola story as evidence. ek999 provided evidence of the media reporting it, so he replied that they kept it quiet until vexnews reported on it. Danish was clearly making the point that this was kept quiet for a month as well.

I didn't miss the point. I made the counter point that there was nothing to report.

An incident occured at a party. He said / she said and no charges were laid. What is there to report and what has been kept quiet?

It wasn't until Weidler got a hold of the story and sensationalised the shit out of it, that nothing suddenly became something.

The alleged victim who won't stand by her story with the police or in court will suddenly stand by her story in the media where the alleged offender has no viable way to defend himself.

It's a trial by media if ever I've seen one and just a massive media beat up.

It's getting that way that rather than the clubs trying to guess what the media will or won't pick up on, perhaps the NRL should just phone Weidler once a week and ask what they need to be investigating.

Maximus

Coach
Not having a dig at you but do you think a professional player weighting 100kg repeatly hit a girl 70kgs at most. All she would have is a blackeye??

Do you think any Police officer in this country wouldn't press charges if they turned up and there was a woman covered in blood KOed on the ground?

She admitted to hitting him. He denied her version. The truth is probably in the middle somewhere. Even a slap could push her over hits a door/cupboard on the way down there's your black eye.

If he has photos/Medical records to back up his version. She has only a blackeye every hard to prove he did as she said

You said it yourself. It is hard for her to prove what happened, as it is her words against his. It would depend on what Norman and Boyd said. If they decide to side with Teo, it makes it even harder. Considering Boyd is alleged to have been with a woman that wasn't his wife, I'm not sure he is likely to want to tell the truth in case it got out. If the cops are faced with that, they are unlikely to press charges as it is just her word against theirs. That doesn't make her a liar.

how would he look at the front page of a Victorian paper?

He made the claim you dumb merkin. If he can't see them, he shouldn't make the claim.

prove it

bullshit artist

go back to Bigpoofy or whatever fumbleball site you came from

Here you go dumbarse

what are the odds that AOD9604 suddenly gets cleared by WADA?

As stated, the only way that could happen was to repeal s0 since it wouldn't matter what they said, it was still not approved for human use.

It is funny how everyone who disagrees with you is an afl fan considering you watch more afl, and spend more time looking for information on afl than any other person on this site. I on the other hand haven't watched a second of afl for 7 years.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Is it possible one goes to print and one is an internet site. Print stories are sent to the print the night before - if it appeared on October 9, it was with the printers on October 8. Possible; yes, no.

lol

the incident happened at the Browneye in September

the Herald Sun had reported on his behaviour minus the alleged assault

ek999

First Grade
correct

http://www.vexnews.com/2009/10/firk...-journalist-in-female-toilets-rocks-football/

And the article also states that they weren't covering it up to protect the Carlton, AFL or Fevola but were concerned for the welfare of their employee. The journo (an entertainment/gossip writer and not a sports writer) did not want it to be printed out of fears for her career.

Vexnews actually commended the Herald for how they were handling it.

Grumble-bum grump-a-thon Neil Mitchell, who works for Fairfax radio station 3AW, while still collecting a pretty penny from the Herald Sun as a grouchy columnist, today picked up our story, referring to one of Fev?s targets as a Herald Sun journalist. That?s true, but he implied that VEXNEWS had accused the Herald Sun of covering up the story to suit Carlton. That?s not what we published, of course. It?s been clear from the get-go that their primary concern is the welfare of their employee. As we have made clear, there did appear to be a difference of perspective about that between people at the Club and the newspaper. We reported that. We have no issue with how the Herald Sun has dealt with the issue, in fact they?ve been utterly honourable and decent about it.

ek999

First Grade
I didn't miss the point. I made the counter point that there was nothing to report.

An incident occured at a party. He said / she said and no charges were laid. What is there to report and what has been kept quiet?

It wasn't until Weidler got a hold of the story and sensationalised the shit out of it, that nothing suddenly became something.

The alleged victim who won't stand by her story with the police or in court will suddenly stand by her story in the media where the alleged offender has no viable way to defend himself.

It's a trial by media if ever I've seen one and just a massive media beat up.

It's getting that way that rather than the clubs trying to guess what the media will or won't pick up on, perhaps the NRL should just phone Weidler once a week and ask what they need to be investigating.

I'm not saying that there is anything to the story but I do think any incident involving players and the police should be reported to the NRL so they know what has happened. They will eventually come out in the media and it is best the NRL is fully informed before that happens so they can respond quickly.

El Diablo

Post Whore
so what?

it doesn't disprove what i said

it went unreported when media knew about it

that would not happen in the NRL

ek999

First Grade
f**k me. My post got deleted because I didn't post a link to her Twitter account

Jess Halloran on Twitter yesterday said the Ben Teo incident is not what her article last week was about. Which means the media knows of another alleged assault (including photographic evidence) and have not yet reported on it also other players know of it. It also took over 5 weeks for this incident to be reported on

https://twitter.com/JessiHalloran/status/336813257773965312

El Diablo

Post Whore
if they know of one they should report it instead of using the bs legal reasons excuse

if the story is legit then they should have no legal worries

it's not like Te'o couldn't sue them seeing Brett Stewart and countless others have

Do you think this will be the ONLY time this type of thing will happen this year? Sports all over the world have crazy's cause trouble. There is no way Souths could of known this was going to the media. Especially if they have photos of the marks on Teo's head and no charges.

I doubt this. It doesn't take much imagination to anticipate that it might. This is rugby league after all. If Te'o had even farted in the taxi on the way to Norman's house there was a fair chance the media would be all over it, let alone something happening where a woman ended up with a black eye and police were called.