What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Te'o cleared by police

Danish

Referee
Its a fact that not a single player who was there denied Teo struck her. Teo himself didn't deny it, simply stated he believed he "acted appropriately". Norman simply stated he was backing Teo and would not comment any further.

Why would neither of them - especially Teo himself - not come out and say that he denies hitting her? Seems that would be the very first thing anyone accused of doing something they didn't do would want to get out there

Danish

Referee
Also, didn't Teo punch out some bloke earlier this season and was stood down for a couple weeks because of it?

Clearly he is a hot head

SaraSassypants

Juniors
I think it depends on how serious the assault was.

If there was 'blood everywhere' like she claims id be staggered if they didnt pursue it. Particularly given the profile of those involved.

Hopefully the police who attended the scene are involved if the case is reopened. Would love to hear what they have to say about the whole thing.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Its a fact that not a single player who was there denied Teo struck her. Teo himself didn't deny it, simply stated he believed he "acted appropriately". Norman simply stated he was backing Teo and would not comment any further.

Why would neither of them - especially Teo himself - not come out and say that he denies hitting her? Seems that would be the very first thing anyone accused of doing something they didn't do would want to get out there

he didn't admit he hit her either

Danish

Referee
I wouldn't expect him to admit to it, even if he did. I would expect him to say straight out that he didn't do it if he didn't though.

We'll know more soon enough now that he will have charges brought against him. It'll get dismissed pretty quickly if there is no substance to it

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Also, didn't Teo punch out some bloke earlier this season and was stood down for a couple weeks because of it?

Clearly he is a hot head
No. A wannabe rapstar ALLEGED that Ben and his brother jumped him from behind. So he didn't actually see which one it was and for all we know they pushed him on the ground. The same dude mind you, who was charged with breaking into Bens house. Would you trust what a convicted crim posts on twitter? Nothing came of that either. No charges laid.

Big Sam

First Grade
Danish's perception is being blinded by his anti-Souths bias. He's hanging onto this alleged incident to bizarrely justify why his club still has Jake Friend on its books.

Danish

Referee
No. A wannabe rapstar ALLEGED that Ben and his brother jumped him from behind. So he didn't actually see which one it was and for all we know they pushed him on the ground. The same dude mind you, who was charged with breaking into Bens house. Would you trust what a convicted crim posts on twitter? Nothing came of that either. No charges laid.

Souths obviously gave the bloke's story some weight.... they stood him down after all

Danish

Referee
Danish's perception is being blinded by his anti-Souths bias. He's hanging onto this alleged incident to bizarrely justify why his club still has Jake Friend on its books.

Jake Friend? The guy who got caught drink driving once, and drunk in a taxi another time? The guy we sacked because of such behaviour and forced him to work in a minimum wage job for 6 months before offering him a base level contract to prove himself?

Yup, real tough to justify that "baffling" decision. We can't all have valiant woman self harm diverters on the books I guess

El Diablo

Post Whore
I wouldn't expect him to admit to it, even if he did. I would expect him to say straight out that he didn't do it if he didn't though.

We'll know more soon enough now that he will have charges brought against him. It'll get dismissed pretty quickly if there is no substance to it

well reading his statement you could interpret it to be denying her story she punched him because it says this http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/ben-teo-statement-236202

"I have not been informed of the exact nature of the news story, however I am able to refute entirely any suggestion that I acted improperly."

so he didn't know what was going to be said

Big Sam

First Grade
Jake Friend? The guy who got caught drink driving once, and drunk in a taxi another time? The guy we sacked because of such behaviour and forced him to work in a minimum wage job for 6 months before offering him a base level contract to prove himself?

You missed an incident for which Friend was actually charged. If you're struggling to remember, maybe ask David Morrow.

Stagger Lee

Bench

What the hell are you thinking? bringing facts into this thread is going against the grain .... behave yourself

Danish

Referee
You missed an incident for which Friend was actually charged. If you're struggling to remember, maybe ask David Morrow.

The charges that he went to court and was exonorated of after CCTV footage showed he was not even in the vicinity of the altercation?

Again, we can't all have upstanding admited woman bashers on the books

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
The charges that he went to court and was exonorated of after CCTV footage showed he was not even in the vicinity of the altercation?

Again, we can't all have upstanding admited woman bashers on the books

Which as a result he was awarded costs. The facts get a bit tough for lol@souffs fans..

Perce

Juniors
Here's the front page of today's Melbourne Hun: http://www.thepaperboy.com/australia/herald-sun/front-pages-today.cfm

Incidentally - I travel a lot for work, and I have to say that the general level of fanaticism about Aussie Rules is highest in SA, followed equally by WA and Tas, then Victoria fourth - and we know how fanatical Victorians are about it. By contrast when I'm in NSW or Qld there isn't the same level of league talk in workplaces - that's my observation, anyway. Two points here: 1. It's one of the things our game still has to battle with - getting the casual masses interested, And 2. If there is an AFL scandal their media is all over it. The case everyone seems to want to bang on about, with Fevola and the woman at Crown - I happen to know that it emerged from a debate within the H/Sun about media ethics and the woman involved felt she didn't want to be the story - it was an open secret that something had happened anyway, until the always classy Andrew Landeryou splashed it on Vexnews.

Tooooks

Bench
It makes no sense at all. Police were at the scene just after it happened. Why didn't Police press charges at the time? In the Greg Bird case his girlfriend refused to testify against him at the time but the Police pursued and charged him anyway. Wouldn't this case have been the same if it looked obvious that there was an assault?

I'm not sure if it's the same in all states, but where I live, police don't need a statement from a victim in a domestic violence assault to proceed with charges. Other assaults are a different matter.