What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Te'o cleared by police

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
This whole incident is a farce.

Not pressing charges and waiting a month until the WiL round just to air it ffs, how much more manufactured could it get...

SaraSassypants

Juniors
I'm not sure if it's the same in all states, but where I live, police don't need a statement from a victim in a domestic violence assault to proceed with charges. Other assaults are a different matter.

That is actually helpful to know and would explain a lot. Thanks.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Here's the front page of today's Melbourne Hun: http://www.thepaperboy.com/australia/herald-sun/front-pages-today.cfm

Incidentally - I travel a lot for work, and I have to say that the general level of fanaticism about Aussie Rules is highest in SA, followed equally by WA and Tas, then Victoria fourth - and we know how fanatical Victorians are about it. By contrast when I'm in NSW or Qld there isn't the same level of league talk in workplaces - that's my observation, anyway. Two points here: 1. It's one of the things our game still has to battle with - getting the casual masses interested, And 2. If there is an AFL scandal their media is all over it. The case everyone seems to want to bang on about, with Fevola and the woman at Crown - I happen to know that it emerged from a debate within the H/Sun about media ethics and the woman involved felt she didn't want to be the story - it was an open secret that something had happened anyway, until the always classy Andrew Landeryou splashed it on Vexnews.

David Penberthy says that's not true http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=405136

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=387894

Loudstrat

Coach
And considering that the medical release claimed that she had been struck by a male.
I dont get this bit. Medical reports state facts - there is no way a doc at A&E or a triage nurse could ascertain the sex of the cause of an injury like that.

Albert Proud ......Heath Franklin

Who the f**k are these guys, someone might know a little more about AFL then he is letting on.
This. Never heard of them. Meethinks its a spelling error. "Kelly" has no P, R, O etc. Likewise - how the f*ck do you spell "L'Estrange" with an F?

Maybe they are fumbleball players, but if so, why the f*ck does Flapper know their names? Ffs Flap, if you are going to read something non RL related, at least stick to the sport pages and stay clear of the ballet section!

Tooooks

Bench
I dont get this bit. Medical reports state facts - there is no way a doc at A&E or a triage nurse could ascertain the sex of the cause of an injury like that.

They don't ascertain anything. If someone presents at hospital and says "I was assaulted by a man. He punched me in the eye" then that's what they'll put on the report.

magpie4ever

First Grade

This. Never heard of them. Meethinks its a spelling error. "Kelly" has no P, R, O etc. Likewise - how the f*ck do you spell "L'Estrange" with an F?

Maybe they are fumbleball players, but if so, why the f*ck does Flapper know their names? Ffs Flap, if you are going to read something non RL related, at least stick to the sport pages and stay clear of the ballet section!

Hey Loudy,

Where have you been, bro?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Here's the front page of today's Melbourne Hun: http://www.thepaperboy.com/australia/herald-sun/front-pages-today.cfm

Incidentally - I travel a lot for work, and I have to say that the general level of fanaticism about Aussie Rules is highest in SA, followed equally by WA and Tas, then Victoria fourth - and we know how fanatical Victorians are about it. By contrast when I'm in NSW or Qld there isn't the same level of league talk in workplaces - that's my observation, anyway. Two points here: 1. It's one of the things our game still has to battle with - getting the casual masses interested, And 2. If there is an AFL scandal their media is all over it. The case everyone seems to want to bang on about, with Fevola and the woman at Crown - I happen to know that it emerged from a debate within the H/Sun about media ethics and the woman involved felt she didn't want to be the story - it was an open secret that something had happened anyway, until the always classy Andrew Landeryou splashed it on Vexnews.

I can't speak for others but in my workplace, sports discussion centres on rugby league. I work in a mixed white/blue collar engineering office, those who are interested in sport and that includes Victorians consume rugby league and participate in tipping. There is a few union folks about and only a few AFL fans from interstate on site.

Perce

Juniors
I can't speak for others but in my workplace, sports discussion centres on rugby league. I work in a mixed white/blue collar engineering office, those who are interested in sport and that includes Victorians consume rugby league and participate in tipping. There is a few union folks about and only a few AFL fans from interstate on site.

No, this isn't my point. There's plenty of workplaces where people discuss league. My point is that the general level of buy-in you get in the AFL states doesn't occur in NSW and Qld. When I go to SA it seems compulsory to sit through a 15 minute AFL chat before you get down to business - and that's true in a variety of workplaces. I can always find someone to talk league with in NSW and Qld, but it doesn't seem to have the complete crossover that AFL has - especially with women.

As for Penbo - he has a partial point, in that I think there's a lot of union lovers in Sydney media who are happy to run down league - but if he thinks Vic media etc are hiding negative AFL stories then he doesn't know much about the industry he's spent 20 years in, and he wans't living in Melbourne during the saga over Gary Ablett and the drug death of the young woman, or Wayne Carey and Anthony Stevens' missus, and so on and so on. Let alone the blanket coverage this book is currently getting: http://www.blackincbooks.com/books/night-games

Tooooks

Bench
Not unless she makes an admission under caution. Then it's possible. A waste of the courts time but possible.

Not saying you're wrong, but if the victim doesn't want to proceed, it wouldn't (unless family violence, which is different).

Laws can differ from state to state though.

El Diablo

Post Whore
No, this isn't my point. There's plenty of workplaces where people discuss league. My point is that the general level of buy-in you get in the AFL states doesn't occur in NSW and Qld. When I go to SA it seems compulsory to sit through a 15 minute AFL chat before you get down to business - and that's true in a variety of workplaces. I can always find someone to talk league with in NSW and Qld, but it doesn't seem to have the complete crossover that AFL has - especially with women.

As for Penbo - he has a partial point, in that I think there's a lot of union lovers in Sydney media who are happy to run down league - but if he thinks Vic media etc are hiding negative AFL stories then he doesn't know much about the industry he's spent 20 years in, and he wans't living in Melbourne during the saga over Gary Ablett and the drug death of the young woman, or Wayne Carey and Anthony Stevens' missus, and so on and so on. Let alone the blanket coverage this book is currently getting: http://www.blackincbooks.com/books/night-games

Essendon players have been interviewed by ASADA yet not one journo has filmed or named a player unlike Wade Graham

are AFL journos trying to obtain the confidential report done by the former Telstra boss?

why did a former AFL coach and journo say this on twitter? https://twitter.com/Thomo_Grant/status/170611809030647808

gUt

Coach

I work in a law firm and have worked in the financial services industry in Brisbane for over a decade. The sport of choice for discussion in RL in winter, cricket in summer, with the odd private school Rugger bugger now and then.

League is king.

Perce

Juniors
I work in a law firm and have worked in the financial services industry in Brisbane for over a decade. The sport of choice for discussion in RL in winter, cricket in summer, with the odd private school Rugger bugger now and then.

League is king.

Hope you don't have to do too much comprehension work for your law firm. Of course league gets discussed - in some workplaces it's discussed heaps - but it's not seen as a near-mandatory part of work life as it is in a lot of AFL-state workplaces, where it's almost like some local politeness ritual to talk footy for a while in the same way some people discuss the weather. It's not a huge point, btw - just frustrating when people can't grasp a simple concept.:eek:

gUt

Coach
I can't work out what you're trying to say but I'll have a go on your behalf. League is discussed in Brisbane, AFL is a cult in Melbourne, is that it? If so, yeah I got the point as evidenced by my reiteration of it. Maybe stick to travelling around selling toiletries or whatever you claim to do.

thorson1987

Coach
Hope you don't have to do too much comprehension work for your law firm. Of course league gets discussed - in some workplaces it's discussed heaps - but it's not seen as a near-mandatory part of work life as it is in a lot of AFL-state workplaces, where it's almost like some local politeness ritual to talk footy for a while in the same way some people discuss the weather. It's not a huge point, btw - just frustrating when people can't grasp a simple concept.:eek:

Not all workplaces.

I used to travel to Melbourne twice a week for work (truck driver) and not often did I hear the afl get spoken about in the lunch room.

But there was always one guy I would talk about League with for a few hours.

Actually, the only time I saw anything about afl at a workplace down there was when I did a pick up in dandenong and the lady who had the paperwork had collingwood paraphernalia in her office.

On that same day I had another pick up down the road from that place and all we talked about was the Storm (this was in 2010 after the salary cap scandal broke)

But I do agree with you about Adelaide. My dad lives there and everywhere you turn people are talking about the SANFL, and to a lesser extent the crows and power.

the dude

Juniors
2 observations;

Danish is a twat

Trust the most popular thread on this forum to be some media inspired crap. The more you post in it, the dumber you prove to be

Perce

Juniors
Not all workplaces.

I used to travel to Melbourne twice a week for work (truck driver) and not often did I hear the afl get spoken about in the lunch room.

But there was always one guy I would talk about League with for a few hours.

Actually, the only time I saw anything about afl at a workplace down there was when I did a pick up in dandenong and the lady who had the paperwork had collingwood paraphernalia in her office.

On that same day I had another pick up down the road from that place and all we talked about was the Storm (this was in 2010 after the salary cap scandal broke)

But I do agree with you about Adelaide. My dad lives there and everywhere you turn people are talking about the SANFL, and to a lesser extent the crows and power.

We've kinda made a mountain out of a never-very-interesting molehill - the whole point I was trying to make is that the AFL obsession is so widespread there is no way the southern media is going to gloss over AFL player misbehaviour cos what they care about most is selling papers and getting viewers. Not a point that is earth-shattering, I'm the first to admit.

Latest posts