What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Te'o cleared by police

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm really surprised how many women are into AFL at my workplace. Not something I generally come across with RL.I'm also amused by how our asian staff are not into sport at all and just glaze over whenever AFL or NRL starts getting discussed!

nrlnrl

First Grade
This from the Sydney Morning Herald :

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...iewed-as-souths-cooperate-20130523-2k44b.html

Te'o interviewed as Souths co-operate

DateMay 24, 2013
Rugby League Writer

The NRL's integrity unit has moved quickly to investigate the assault allegations against Ben Te'o, interviewing the South Sydney forward at length on Thursday morning.

Investigators, including former policeman Brenton ''Alby'' Taylor, interviewed Te'o in the Rabbitohs offices for several hours. A day earlier, they had interviewed Souths boss Shane Richardson, who handed over all the information he had gathered to the investigation team.
Te'o has told investigators and Souths officials he was attempting to restrain the Brisbane woman, Katie Lewis, who accused the Queensland forward of striking her repeatedly last month in the home of Brisbane player Corey Norman. While it is unclear how long the investigation by the recently established integrity unit will take, they have wasted no time interviewing one of the key parties.

Taylor, a former chief inspector who had a 15-year career in the NSW Police Force, spent time with the 26-year-old on Wednesday, along with another investigator. Taylor is working with an independent investigator through the process, after the integrity unit was assigned the job of getting to the bottom of the incident.

Taylor has been assisting the NRL in the set-up of the integrity unit since March, and with his background as an officer is involved in the current investigation. He is also a director on the Stadium Australia members board, is a qualified legal practitioner, and was executive director of the Local Government and Shires Association of NSW. He has also been linked to the Canterbury chief executive position, soon to be vacated by Todd Greenberg. He was a past president of Bulldogs feeder club Moorebank.

Richardson said he had handed ''every bit of information'' over to investigators. That includes photographs of Te'o taken after the incident, which are alleged to show a mark on his temple, said to have been made when Lewis was attacking him with a stiletto-heeled shoe, as well as photographs of a damaged door and a medical assessment of the player by the club. ''I don't know how long [the investigation] is going to take, I don't know who they're going to interview. We're just waiting for the outcome,'' Richardson said.
Richardson also defended himself against the suggestion that he should have reported the incident to the NRL sooner. NRL chief executive Dave Smith said on Wednesday he was first notified of the allegations at 7pm on Tuesday.

Yet Richardson said he had informed NRL officials on Monday, having been briefed by Channel Nine over the network's interview with Lewis. ''The bottom line is, 10 minutes after we were informed by Channel Nine [of the allegations], we told the NRL,'' he said.
Richardson maintained that, having no official complaint, he did not believe it was necessary to inform the NRL after Te'o first raised the incident with him on the Monday after it occurred. NRL officials also sent a briefing note to clubs on Thursday that stressed Smith had not expressed any frustration or anger at Souths either privately or publicly.
In defending the decision not to inform the NRL, Richardson said: ''The player came to us over the incident. No one else made contact with us. We've never been contacted by the police, there was nothing on Facebook or Twitter. There was nothing apart from what Ben Te'o told us. There was no reason for us to go to the NRL.''

Card Shark

Immortal
Even if he was charged, why would the police contact the club?

It wouldn't happen for any other workplace, it would be invading privacy laws surely.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I can't work out what you're trying to say but I'll have a go on your behalf. League is discussed in Brisbane, AFL is a cult in Melbourne, is that it? If so, yeah I got the point as evidenced by my reiteration of it. Maybe stick to travelling around selling toiletries or whatever you claim to do.

:lol:

nrlnrl

First Grade
at least The Australian is mentioning this now - good to see the Integrity Unit acting quickly

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...o-for-four-hours/story-fnca0von-1226649509806

Ex-cop grills accused Ben Te'o for four hours

SOUTH Sydney forward Ben Te'o spent nearly four hours with former NSW police officer Alby Taylor and an independent investigator yesterday as the game's integrity unit stepped up its inquiry into allegations of assault of a Brisbane woman last month.

Te'o has strenuously denied allegations he punched the woman at the centre of the game's latest scandal, Katie Lewis, and The Australian understands he reiterated those claims during talks with Taylor, a former chief inspector with 15 years experience in the police force who has been working with the game's integrity unit since March.
Having met Te'o, the integrity unit is expected to conduct further interviews with Brisbane fullback Corey Norman and Newcastle's Darius Boyd soon. Both were present on the night in question, at Norman's home in Brisbane.
The latest developments come as the players' union defended Te'o's right to keep playing. Queensland Cricket was dragged into the saga when one of its players, Chris Lynn, used social media to launch a scathing criticism of Lewis on Wednesday.
Lewis, who made the claims on the Nine Network, said last night she was ready to make a formal complaint to police.
NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle, who has jurisdiction over the newly-formed integrity unit, stressed the game would do everything possible to uncover the truth.
"If you want to change the culture and you sweep things like this under the carpet you will never change anything," Doyle said.
"We have to do any investigations and we have to do it properly. We have to get the facts and, based on the facts, take if from there. He (Te'o) has provided the facts from his point of view. The other people as it happens will provide the facts from their point of view and we will work from there. Obviously this is why we put together the integrity unit. At the moment we are talking about something we don't know the facts about. And we are going through the procedures and doing what we need to do to get to the bottom of it."
Doyle also said the investigators would take a closer look at Lynn's comments, which were made on Twitter.
The tweets, which were removed soon after they were posted on Wednesday night, referred to the woman as "bad news" and claimed she had contributed to one of his friends spending two months in jail.
"It was inappropriate to express my personal view on a forum like Twitter and I apologise whole-heartedly for that to the individual involved," Lynn said in a statement released through Queensland cricket.
"Violence against women is not acceptable and I'm sorry that my words could been seen to condone that."
Doyle indicated Lynn could still play a part in the investigation.

"That's part of their responsibility, to look into any issues that arise," Doyle said. "They will look into what they believe has some substance."
What appears to have no substance is claims the NRL is ropable with South Sydney over its failure to report the incident when it occurred, when the three players went out in Brisbane during the representative weekend.
It is understood the NRL emailed the 16 clubs yesterday to point out it was neither angered or frustrated with Souths because there was no reason to dispute the Rabbitohs' version of events.
Rugby League Players Association chief executive David Garnsey pointed out no charges or formal complaints had been made against Te'o.
"The allegations that have been made are on their face very serious but he's obviously entitled to the presumption of innocence and notwithstanding the seriousness of the allegations, that cannot be ignored," Garnsey said.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
What appears to have no substance is claims the NRL is ropable with South Sydney over its failure to report the incident when it occurred, when the three players went out in Brisbane during the representative weekend.
It is understood the NRL emailed the 16 clubs yesterday to point out it was neither angered or frustrated with Souths because there was no reason to dispute the Rabbitohs' version of events.
Love this. Fk you News Limited!!!!!

eozsmiles

Bench
Essendon players have been interviewed by ASADA yet not one journo has filmed or named a player unlike Wade Graham

are AFL journos trying to obtain the confidential report done by the former Telstra boss?

why did a former AFL coach and journo say this on twitter? https://twitter.com/Thomo_Grant/status/170611809030647808

Isn't that because all Essendon players have been interviewed, so there is no mystery? If they want to know who has been interviewed they can just read the team sheet.

An Essendon player was interviewed on "the footy show" in Victoria last night. Admitted to being injected, discussed the interview process. He certainly was much more open than anyone at Cronulla.

The Essendon bloke was definitely filmed and named, he agreed to do it too.

Evenflow

Bench
the media would not bother with this story if it was an AFL player

That's why Buddy Franklin abusing a chick on Saturday night was on the front page of the Herald Sun yesterday, all over talk back radio and was on every news bulletin down here. Pretty sure if it made front page for simple abuse it would do the same for an alleged assault. Keep on derpin' Dribblo :crazy:

Flapper

First Grade
I dont get this bit. Medical reports state facts - there is no way a doc at A&E or a triage nurse could ascertain the sex of the cause of an injury like that.

This. Never heard of them. Meethinks its a spelling error. "Kelly" has no P, R, O etc. Likewise - how the f*ck do you spell "L'Estrange" with an F?

Maybe they are fumbleball players, but if so, why the f*ck does Flapper know their names? Ffs Flap, if you are going to read something non RL related, at least stick to the sport pages and stay clear of the ballet section!

Heath Franklin isn't actually his name bro. And I only knew the other incident through people comparing RL and AFL coverage here. I'd rather cop a length from a horse than read about AFL news.

Patorick

Staff member
198860-rabbitohs-rebecca-wilson-te-039-o.jpg

Big Sam

First Grade
f**king bitch. Knew it wouldn't be long before she showed her anti-Souths colours. I can only assume she's having a crack at us for not reporting a non-issue to the NRL.

The NRL has no issue with our handling of the event:

It is understood the NRL emailed the 16 clubs on Thursday to point out it was neither angered or frustrated with Souths because there was no reason to dispute the Rabbitohs' version of events.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ult/story-fn2mcuj6-1226649655360#.UZ-CcbXI0_Y

Nemesis

Bench
pmsl if Wilson finds herself on the receiving end of a defamation lawsuit as a result of those comments.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
That "article" from Rebecca Wilson is one of the worst pieces of dribble I have ever read.

She has basically assumed that Teo bashed the girl but that the Rabbitohs and now the NRL have covered it up. She says that the Police need to be called to investigate, conveniently forgetting to point out that Police attended the initial scene and talked to all parties, yet didn't press charges.

Idiot. Drink driving, alcoholic, idiot.

Big Sam

First Grade
The whole attack on Richo was because he led the "agenda" to oust Gallop.

If Richo's agenda was to get rid of grubs like Wilson from the game, more power to him and his colleagues.

Latest posts