What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Teo Facing 3-4 weeks

The Gambler

Juniors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrrKMjG1hiM

Frank Pritchard didn't serve any time for this hit last year and it's essentially the same arguably worse than the Te'o hit.

Any Dogs fan complaining should just stfu.

If there's any consistency, Te'o gets off as well.
That will no doubt come into Teo's defence - my view is that Pritchard got off lightly on the occassion. I think going forward a new precedent is going to be set when it comes to dangerous contact.

However for arguments sake - Graham is far shorter than Pritchard and he did literally just run into Pritchard's arm/bicep. Pritchard just gave a bit of a chicken wing flap to increase the force of the hit - it was just laziness really.

I maintain that Teo - whilst he would have had a legal tackle in mind - was quite reckless in launching himself with maximum force into the upper body of Groat. He wanted to smash the bloke, fair enough, however if you enter a tackle that recklessly and it doesn't come off - then you should be punished. If players are allowed to target areas towards the head on regular basis, someone is going to end up dead.

Tommy Smith

Referee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrrKMjG1hiM

Frank Pritchard didn't serve any time for this hit last year and it's essentially the same arguably worse than the Te'o hit.

Any Dogs fan complaining should just stfu.

If there's any consistency, Te'o gets off as well.
Pritchard should have got 2-3 weeks for that hit. And Teo should get 2-3 for his.

You don't adjust punishment in line with the wrong one. The decision to let Pritchard off, as with Dwyer, was clearly wrong. The NRL judiciary should admit this and finally start getting it right. Which they have been this year.

blacklock

Juniors
altho i would hate this...it could be a possible solution... should players start wearing headgear?

If we are all of a sudden so sensitive to concussions, wouldnt it be easier to protect the head with padding as opposed to just hoping no contact is made when two players are running at each other with pace.

i personally love seeing the shoulder charge... i dont want to see it stamped out. its a high risk high reward tackle..you either nail the player and stop their progress...or they bounce off you and continue on. i dont want our game to become over regulated. its fine as it is now...we dont need to continue tinkering with something that isnt exactly broken. the footy is awesome and the contest is close. lets keep it that way! :)

Big Pete

Referee
However for arguments sake - Graham is far shorter than Pritchard and he did literally just run into Pritchard's arm/bicep.

2cm is far shorter? Don't let the camera fool you, otherwise you'd believe Groat's shorter than Te'o.

Pritchard was looking to put a shot on, just like Te'o. Pleading laziness isn't an excuse and consistency should be maintained until a new precedent is set by the judiciary.

The Gambler

Juniors
2cm is far shorter? Don't let the camera fool you, otherwise you'd believe Groat's shorter than Te'o.

Pritchard was looking to put a shot on, just like Te'o. Pleading laziness isn't an excuse and consistency should be maintained until a new precedent is set by the judiciary.
Unfortunately for the Broncos, it seems the new precedent is currently being set. Pritchard was the first exhibit this season, Teo is about to be the second.

Danish

Referee
Illegal strikes are determined in each sport, in ring/cage officials carry out the remaining duty of care.

.... so if we continued to use the old interpretation of the rules that contact made to the head using the shoulder/chest/head would not be considered illegal, we'd be fine then

gronkathon

First Grade
I was not aware that a shoulder to the head had ever been legal.

Rules have modified over time with evidence and precedent. It has always been the case

TimmyB

Juniors
Is it really a duty of care issue? I would have thought the Civil Liability Act would curtail any claims arising out of high shots - in particular, the provisions relating to obvious risks.

TimmyB

Juniors
.... so if we continued to use the old interpretation of the rules that contact made to the head using the shoulder/chest/head would not be considered illegal, we'd be fine then

I recognise you are in all likelihood being a smartarse, but potentially you're spot on.

A quick google yields a couple of English cases in which the Courts found the duty of care of referees and match officials extended to a) enforce the rules of a sport and b) discipline those breaching the rules.

Karl

Juniors
He hit him in the head and he didn't need to. He drove up too far, or rose too early. He actually came up off his feet. It was worse than Pritchard's whether he meant to hurt the guy or not.

As long as there is no requirement to make some attempt to actually use the arms in a tackle, these sorts of accidents will continue to happen. The pace the game is played at and the tendency of the runner to flinch and drop slightly before an impact means that errors in judging force, trajectory and impact are inevitable when the intention is to ram someone instead of tackling them.

I love the shoulder charge, but the margin for error is so fine. If the NRL feel they need to keep it in the game, they do need to be tough on situations where a player gets it wrong and makes contact with the head.

A bit lower and this would have been a cracker, but it wasn't lower.

Apey

Staff member
You'd have to be blind as a bat to think he didn't connect with his head :lol:

Some blurry youtube video is hardly better than numerous people on the field not seeing it.

I was being sarcastic before. It wasn't a yellow wig in the crowd.

Anyway, I'm not convinced it should be worth 3 - 4 weeks either. I'm really just pointing out the blatantly obvious - it was a high shot.

Danish

Referee

Rules have modified over time with evidence and precedent. It has always been the case

We've only started penalising them in the last 2-3 seasons.

They made a specific announcement that shoulder contact with the head would start to be ruled as a high tackle in 2006 I believe after Morley smashed Ben Walker in round 1 that year. He got suspended for 3 weeks but after that no one got in any trouble for them for a few years.

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
We've only started penalising them in the last 2-3 seasons.

They made a specific announcement that shoulder contact with the head would start to be ruled as a high tackle in 2006 I believe after Morley smashed Ben Walker in round 1 that year. He got suspended for 3 weeks but after that no one got in any trouble for them for a few years.

who was Moooorley playing for - the Roosters- thats sums it up

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors

Yes the shoulder to the head is no different to an elbow to the head or a swinging arm to the head- difference was if it would have been an elbow or swinging arm he would have been sent off- problem though with this issue of Teo is suspended(he has no carry over points) the Bronco's future opponents benefit but not the Tigers who were left one replacement short.

Latest posts