What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best ever 2nd rowers (who are they?)

NAS

Juniors
Backrowers are a little like dummy halves in that in every era they have fulfilled a different role....and even sometimes in the same era they do......

You have your attacking second rowers, those that score tries....the likes of Bob Macarthy, Steve Menzies, Gene Miles (when he went there), Bryan Fletcher, Paul Sironen etc etc....

You've got your defensive second rowers, those that make a zillion tackles a game, and don't stop....Nathan Hindmarsh, Craig Fitzgibbon, Gavin Miller.....

Then you've got your hardmen second rowers....Adrian Morley, Les Davidson, Gorden Tallis etc etc etc.......

I have to be honest, the closest I ever saw to a perfect second rower was undoubtedly Sonny Bill Williams. He had it all.....Could play wide, or in tight, could defend, attack and intimidate, sometimes all at once........

Even though he abandoned the game, he's no.1 for mine......

gUt

Coach
Players I've seen:

Paul Sironen - fearless, dominating
Gorden Tallis - pre-injury he was the most damaging forward runner in the game

Thanks to NAS...

Menzies for his skill and longevity and Hindmarsh because every team in the modern era would want him working away for them.

I reckon Sam Burgess is the best of the current crop.

Canard

Immortal
Tallis was up there.

Lindner and Clyde although known as locks played a lot of second row also. For mine they are some of the best players of all time.

Sleep

Juniors
Menzies could do it all. He was as consistent as anyone I've ever seen and was great in defence and with the ball in hand.

Add to that how long he did it for. He'd be my pick.

Ones immediately coming to my mind are Menzies & Hindmarsh But I'd say Sirro & Tallis were the two best i've seen, and/or most devastating. I always liked Scott Gourley as well but don't think he'd be considered one of the best.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some fo the best Second Rowers ever

Sid Pearce, Gordon Treweeke, Duncan Hall, Brian Davies, Norm Provan, Les Boyd, Dane Sorensen, Paul Sironen, Brad Clyde, Steve Menzies, Gordon Tallis, Gareth Ellis, Nathan Hindmarsh even Bronson Harrison would be high on the list

Eels Dude

Coach
The Burgess love is bit much but he could be anything really. He's only 21 and he's already one of the best backrowers in the NRL. From this era Tallis, Hindmarsh, Kennedy and Gallen would be my picks. Menzies was very versatile and played more like an extra centre a lot of the time, but boy he could hit a hole perfectly and was so consistent for so long he deserves to be up there also.

Latest posts