What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Matty v Big Fat

bluey

Bench
Many years ago I was walking through Parramatta mall on my lunch break when I was approached by Matthew Johns holding a mic and a channel Nein cameraman.
Johns says G'day and asks me what I think of the Footy Show.

"Thursday or Sunday?" I ask.

"Let's go with Thursday mate," says Matty with a grin.

"Too much bullshit, not enough football," I reply to our mate. He looks at me, bemused.
"Really?" Matt asks.
"Yeah mate," I say, my own grin growing. "I don't wanna watch ex-comedians play football, and I don't wanna watch ex-footballers play comedian, but I know which would be funnier!"

I didn't make the TV edit.

Shit show. Choice between Matt Johns and Fatty Vautin is like a choice between getting punched in the face or punched in the nuts.

Very funny stuff

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Many years ago I was walking through Parramatta mall on my lunch break when I was approached by Matthew Johns holding a mic and a channel Nein cameraman.
Johns says G'day and asks me what I think of the Footy Show.

"Thursday or Sunday?" I ask.

"Let's go with Thursday mate," says Matty with a grin.

"Too much bullshit, not enough football," I reply to our mate. He looks at me, bemused.
"Really?" Matt asks.
"Yeah mate," I say, my own grin growing. "I don't wanna watch ex-comedians play football, and I don't wanna watch ex-footballers play comedian, but I know which would be funnier!"

I didn't make the TV edit.

Shit show. Choice between Matt Johns and Fatty Vautin is like a choice between getting punched in the face or punched in the nuts.

This sums it up perfectly for me :clap: Well said, love to see the footage!

docbrown

Coach

undertaker

Coach
When I first moved to Oz in '98 I watched The Footy Show and loved it because in England RL simply doesn't get the same sort of mainstream treatment on TV at all. After a couple of years though, it really dawned on me how awful it was. It begins with the presenters, who almost as a whole come across as wooden amateurs, and ends with the appalling writers and 'sketches' that would be embarrasing if a bunch of ten-year olds did them, let alone supposed professionals on mainstream TV.

I hate AFL, but when I have watched their show (I've seen maybe 2 episodes) it has a completely different vibe - just more professional full stop. It has rubbish bits as well, its not a great show at all, but it shows the difference having good communicators makes (and actual comedians rather than wannabees) rather than just picking people because they are ex-players.

I haven't watched the RL version for years except when channel-hopping, and it really is embarrasingly bad at times.

As for Matty Johns, I think he has the ability to be a comedy sidekick, but lead presenter? Not nearly enough improvement on Vautin (who like some others is better on radio - did an OK show with Ben Ikin last year).

I know TFS have had some pisspoor sketches over the years, but the WORST one they had was that "microphone play" sketch they had a couple of years ago or so. I don't know if you remember it, but they used to do it towards the end of the show and Sammi Lucas used to take part in it. Worst sketch ever. Absolutely cringeworthy and had no relevance to the show whatsoever.

gUt

Coach
It's clear to me that they're out of ideas when Get Fat's Cash kept popping up. Every week, including the first, it was painful for everyone involved. Contestants on the segment rarely have the wit needed to keep a section like this moving and even if they did, they'd be alone.

Matty Johns is overrated, there's a reason his show wasn't successful.

Can't we just get some real analysis and when selecting the panel look past their reputation and judge them on their merits.

Get fox sports if you want that, footy show is a variety/sports show and love it.

Gotta have the fat the mans a legend!

moggs

Juniors
Refuse to watch the footy show... Almost as bad as the QLD footy show back in the beginning for any of you that were unfortunate enough to watch it.... They axed it so us QLDers could get the NSW version which was great at first. I think we have all grown up but nine has stayed stagnant.

Brutus

Referee
I know TFS have had some pisspoor sketches over the years, but the WORST one they had was that "microphone play" sketch they had a couple of years ago or so. I don't know if you remember it, but they used to do it towards the end of the show and Sammi Lucas used to take part in it. Worst sketch ever. Absolutely cringeworthy and had no relevance to the show whatsoever.

Agree. That was total shit.

The 'ideas men' of TFS are dead-set hopeless.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I can confirm it because I live up here. I know some die hard Maroons supporters and I only need to say to them "how good was Joey Johns back in the day?". The transformation is incredible. It's almost like watching the human equivalent of a Chernobyl nuclear meltdown.

These are the symptoms of Joeyitis. The victim's face will start turning crimson, incessant frothing at the mouth will occur, their eyes will start to bulge, they'll clench their fists in rage and you'll generally have 10 seconds to vacate the room before an unintelligible pile of gibberish will spew out of the victim's mouth about Joey the overrated drug cheat.

Your best hope of survival is to run for your car, kick it over and don't stop until you reach the NSW border.

Great story wanker now take your own advice and f**k off.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
:lol: Very true. I remember well last year having an animated argument with two mates of mine when they asked me if I thought Darren Lockyer was the greatest of all time and I said I thought Joey was. They reacted the way Raiders fans would if you told them David Furner was the greatest coach of all time. Apparently playing more NRL matches, more Origins and more Test matches is the only reliable indicator of greatness. Things like having a better kicking game, better defense, more dominance during a game and being generally considered by those in the game as the best of all time, are all fluff details. I was accused of "Having the NSW blinkers on" because I couldn't accept the "facts" that show Lockyer is better.

Mind you, both my mates have lived in Qld all their lives, so the only media they've been exposed to is the one which told them day in, day out that King Darren was actually the second coming of Christ...

Youre very lucky to have some QLD mates. We rarely suffer f**kwits.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Ive thought it over and you can stay........but you have to stop carrying like a bitch.

Oh tank joo Great Lord of Kweenzland for granting me mercy. I was afraid you would issue a decree that I must sell my house, quit my job, dump my girlfriend, burn my blues jersey and leave the promised land of the Cane Toad forever. Tank joo, tank joo King Chump. Your beneficiance will always be remembered in the halls of my fathers. May heaven shine down on the bald head of Gravelmouth and illuminate him in the sports section of the Courier Mail.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Oh tank joo Great Lord of Kweenzland for granting me mercy. I was afraid you would issue a decree that I must sell my house, quit my job, dump my girlfriend, burn my blues jersey and leave the promised land of the Cane Toad forever. Tank joo, tank joo King Chump. Your beneficiance will always be remembered in the halls of my fathers. May heaven shine down on the bald head of Gravelmouth and illuminate him in the sports section of the Courier Mail.

Another good effort. Everything seems true.......... except the girlfriend bit.

Latest posts