What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Willie is the best forward in the world

Nathan B

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
Mason and Kennedy are head and shoulders above any other forward at the moment, but I can't split either of them.

Imagine if the Dogs had kept this pack with Thurston at halfback:

8. Price
10. O'Meley
11. Mason
12. Ryan
13. Grimaldi

14. Asotasi
15. Sonny-Bill

Wow.

...add Maitua, Myles and Armit (and we don't need Price). WOW AGAIN!

Vicious

Bench
I reckon Willie Mason and Sonny Bill Williams are clearly the 2 best forwards in the world, but with Sherwin-less halves the Bulldogs will need them both at their very best each and every week to be genuine title contenders.

DeeGan

Bench
Ben Kennedy IMO is the best forward in the game right now - as some alluded too, Mason lacks the consistency to overtake BK at the moment. That could all change at the end of the season though, he has not had any really ordinary game for the Doggies barring perhaps the loss to the Knights.

Tommy Smith

Referee
DeeGan said:
Ben Kennedy IMO is the best forward in the game right now - as some alluded too, Mason lacks the consistency to overtake BK at the moment. That could all change at the end of the season though, he has not had any really ordinary game for the Doggies barring perhaps the loss to the Knights.
I dont see a problem with Mason's consistency. He had a major injury last year which didnt help, but aside from that he's been a model of consistency.

And the other thing i like about Mason is that he really, really steps up for big games. Almost Wally Lewis like (Big wrap). He was AWESOME in last years Origin series. He was DEVASTATING in the one before that. He won the Clive Churchill Medal in the 04 GF when he more than matched it with our great forward pack. And his performances for Aus have consistently been great.

The likes of Kennedy are great but if i was given the choice of any one forward in my team id take Mason in a heart beat right now.

ngunity

Juniors
yep Tommy the Roosters bankrolled the wrong Bulldog last year, I don't miss Anasta one bit, I miss Sherwin in form.

I don't see why Folkes doesn't give Mason the captaincy Ryan has fallen from International quality to mediocracy with the burden of captaincy while Mason exudes leadership and he's in the richest form I've ever seen from him

sadly because the dogs don't have a hooker, our superior forwards were killed by the Buderus lead Knights which went to show that good direction can overcome superior quality players.

If the Dogs had had a half decent #9 and kept free of injuries I think you could have marked up more than one premiership in the 2003-2006 period ( no disrespect to Tigers and Panthers) but with:
Mason
Price
Asotasi
O'Meley
SBW
Ryan
AND a hooker it could have been even more than 1 premiership........

ngunity

Juniors
super_coach said:
From a non dog fan,Tony Gramaldi deserves a big wrap,every club needs one,but few have a quality one--The 80 minute man--Yesterday when the dogs were going up and down on the one blade of grass,Gramaldi turned it around.No fuss 100% footballer

agree, good on you for noticing, poor old Grimaldi is the Dogs new Steve Reardon, tireless old hand who tackles his guts out and leads by example

I haven't checked the stats but I'd also suggest he'd lead the NRL in one on one strips, that something he's really added to his game and it's been inspirational and possibly match-turning for the Dogs more than once

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
ngunity said:
yep Tommy the Roosters bankrolled the wrong Bulldog last year, I don't miss Anasta one bit, I miss Sherwin in form.

I don't see why Folkes doesn't give Mason the captaincy Ryan has fallen from International quality to mediocracy with the burden of captaincy while Mason exudes leadership and he's in the richest form I've ever seen from him

sadly because the dogs don't have a hooker, our superior forwards were killed by the Buderus lead Knights which went to show that good direction can overcome superior quality players.

If the Dogs had had a half decent #9 and kept free of injuries I think you could have marked up more than one premiership in the 2003-2006 period ( no disrespect to Tigers and Panthers) but with:
Mason
Price
Asotasi
O'Meley
SBW
Ryan

I believe if we'd have played Grimaldi at hooker in that game things would have been a lot closer. Keep in mind we won the second half 18-10 in that game and the Knights fell apart without Johns.

Also keep in mind when the rematch happens in Round 13, we are likely to have a full contingent back on deck... what a cracker it will be.

atomic_crimson

Juniors
Inferno said:
Spot on.

Been in outstanding form this year for the Dogs and Australia.

Can't wait to see him rip in for the Blues.

Anyone else think that perhaps he is more suited to prop than second row?

alot of dogs fans i know wouldnt mind seeing asotasi switch to second row or even off the bench so mason can start as prop.

aussies1st

Staff member
Mason can be just as devastating in the 2nd row. Hes really hit some good form lately, that will come in handy when NSW take on Qld.

Timmah

Staff member
Get as cocky as you like, your team has fallen from grace since that day ;-)

Balmain_Boy

ngunity said:

Mason
Price
Asotasi
O'Meley
SBW
Ryan

And with Johns at half I'm sure the Tigers could have won another premiership. What's your point?

Johns Magic

Referee
Timmah said:
Get as cocky as you like, your team has fallen from grace since that day ;-)

Fallen from grace to third on the ladder, only losing without Johns.

Dogs have been average this year. How they're fourth on the ladder is astounding.

Timmah

Staff member
Johns Magic said:
Fallen from grace to third on the ladder, only losing without Johns.

Dogs have been average this year. How they're fourth on the ladder is astounding.

The 'Dogs have been average?

Scoring an average of 27ppg is average? You guys are at 32ppg, yes, better than us, but 4th is hardly average. In fact, both our clubs points per game average is better than that of the Cowboys, who are first.

My point? Your club isn't doing that well. Losses to the Warriors, Storm and Cowboys so far have all been far from impressive. Not saying our boys are running rings around the comp, but to suggest we have been any less competitive than you, while maintaining the same ladder position is biased, cocky, a f**king dumb. Hope it comes back and bites you on the ass. Arrogant git.

Balmain_Boy

Dodge if you can't concede that the Knights have at stages this season hit a level of form higher than that of the Dogs you are deadset kidding.

Your mob was in top form against the Tigers. APart from that you've done enough to win and that's about it.

Not that it's a bad thing. I think the Knights and in particular the Cowboys may peak early if they're not careful.

Fibroman

First Grade
He certainly has tremendous impact in attack and seems to lift a notch or two in the big games................but I think BK just shades him overall.

Latest posts