What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Willie is the best forward in the world

mattyg

Bench
Mason does everything and he never gets credit for it. He has a sick kid, who he made friends with, in sydney childrens hospital (i think) who he visits weekly. He sponsors something like 9 children from some of the poorest countries in the world, and his entire family. Yet again he donates $2000 to charity. He is a champion player and a champion bloke. The amount he has grown up since 2004 is enormous. Definately the #1 forward in the game at the moment.

Also in the Telegraph the other week, there was a story on how him and SBW approached a little sharks supporter, waited and talked with her about footy while her mother got a pen and paper so she could get there signatures. I have no doubt this was Mason's idea as well. He deserves every bit of credit he gets.

RABK

Referee
Brad Clyde won 2 Clive Churchill medals.

One of only two players to have won the award playing for the losing team, the other was the great Brad Mackay.

Mason is the best forward in the world, on level pegging with BK IMO. But he still has a long way to go to reach Brad Clyde's standing in the game, Clyde was dominate for near 12 years.

But he is definetly on his way.

RABK

Referee
aqua_duck said:
Mason just has this aura about him abit like Carl Webb, players can't handle him not only physically but psychologically.

One thing i'm very happy with our pack is that they always shut down Mason. We normally just have Simpson and Newton in his face all game and it really shuts down his metres.

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
Nathan B said:
I agree.

We are an in-form (or close to it) Sherwin away from winning this competition*.

*...and injuries asside.

Our forwards are so good its a joke. We've got Ryan and Mason who both play in the 2nd row for NSW (and Mason for Australia), O'Meley and Asotasi in the front-row who both represent at the highest level, Grimaldi who is a work-horse, Nate Myles (QLD) coming off the bench, along with Reni Maitua and SBW.

Can I say that I think the best thing about Mason is that he has managed to overcome adversity, overcome being boo'd by a home crowd at Origin, and has earned the respect of his team mates, his opposition and the fans? To rise above all the bull sh*t and be regarded as potentially on of the best forwards of all time, when he was so close to (and would have been excused at the time for) giving up the game.

I know I've got my blue and white blinkers on, but Mason would've been one of the few players in the Blues picked on both form *AND* reputation - there would've been others, but he would've been at the top of the list.

I seriously love the bloke. I will stay happy until 2009 with him as a member of the team.

RABK

Referee
:lol: @ bulldogs supporters.

Rarely does he have one of his big 200 metre games against us. Did you see how ineffectual he was in round 3? He was shut down. Two big forwards on him all night, he'll still makes metres but not his 20 metre per hit up game.

He certainly could tear us apart, in just over a week infact. But we have been very succesful in shutting him down in recent times. Laugh at facts all you want.

Rise Against

so in 2004 mason didnt own the knights?

which was the last time he played significantly as 2005 was a wasted yr off with injuries

[furrycat]

Coach
Mason was no where near top gear in Round 3... :lol: He wasn't even close in Rd 1 or 2. He had been off injured for almsot a year and was just getting back into fitness!

Those are not 'facts'.

Here's a fact:

Newcastle can't win with Joey.

Shutting him down? Ohh pfft.

Show me proof rather than "Oh we shut him down". Dickhead :crazy:

CharlieF

Juniors
bigdogsgottaeat said:
Our forwards are so good its a joke. We've got Ryan and Mason who both play in the 2nd row for NSW (and Mason for Australia), O'Meley and Asotasi in the front-row who both represent at the highest level, Grimaldi who is a work-horse, Nate Myles (QLD) coming off the bench, along with Reni Maitua and SBW.

Can I say that I think the best thing about Mason is that he has managed to overcome adversity, overcome being boo'd by a home crowd at Origin, and has earned the respect of his team mates, his opposition and the fans? To rise above all the bull sh*t and be regarded as potentially on of the best forwards of all time, when he was so close to (and would have been excused at the time for) giving up the game.

I know I've got my blue and white blinkers on, but Mason would've been one of the few players in the Blues picked on both form *AND* reputation - there would've been others, but he would've been at the top of the list.

I seriously love the bloke. I will stay happy until 2009 with him as a member of the team.

As good as those forwards are, they have been overpowered by other packs already this year.

RABK

Referee
O'Meley did actually. He smashed us from pillar to post, but to be fair we were a very weakened side that night. Mason had a good game but once again wasn't having on of his best games.

That's if you are talking about the second last game of the year. If you wanna talk about the previous game then Mason got smashed by our premier league pack 32-6.

No doubt Mason is an incredible player, but saying the Knights pack contians him well is not tkaing anyhting away from Mason. Our pack is capable of belting any other on their day. Including yours aka round 3.

bulldog

Bench
The Knights pretty much shut the whole Dogs pack down last time, and last year Mason was far below his best, as already mentioned.

Hopefully he'll be at his best when we next meet, then we'll see if they can shut him down every time.

Remember what happened last time you guys faced a rampaging fully fit Willie, we put 50 on you.

RABK

Referee
[furrycat] said:
Mason was no where near top gear in Round 3... :lol: He wasn't even close in Rd 1 or 2. He had been off injured for almsot a year and was just getting back into fitness!

Those are not 'facts'.

Here's a fact:

Newcastle can't win with Joey.

Shutting him down? Ohh pfft.

Show me proof rather than "Oh we shut him down". Dickhead :crazy:

Personal insults. :clap: Hero.

Newcastle can't win without Joey? Ummm is that supposed to hurt or something? :lol:

You can't win without Mason. ;-)

Yo uare getting all riled up about what is infact a very fair comment. Live with it.

Rise Against

Red and Blue Knight said:
O'Meley did actually. He smashed us from pillar to post, but to be fair we were a very weakened side that night. Mason had a good game but once again wasn't having on of his best games.

That's if you are talking about the second last game of the year. If you wanna talk about the previous game then Mason got smashed by our premier league pack 32-6.

No doubt Mason is an incredible player, but saying the Knights pack contians him well is not tkaing anyhting away from Mason. Our pack is capable of belting any other on their day. Including yours aka round 3.

Thats very true.. O'Meley scored a double..

2006 Mason owns 2004 Mason.. thats the big difference..

RABK

Referee
Well we'll see in a little over a week.

I never doubted Mason's ability, infact i gave the bloke a huge wrap in saying he's on his way to Clyde's standing in the game.

But it is a fair comment that we contain him pretty well, bring him on. ;-)

Rammo

Juniors
lol @ Knights fans saying Mason has a similar influence on the Dogs as Johns has on the Knights.

No team in the history of the game has relied so much on one player as with Newcastle and Johns.

Goodluck when he retires. Even Benji with the Tigers aren't that bad.

[furrycat]

Coach
2005 Dogs without Mason= We struggled- due to the fact we have used over 30 different FG players and were using a Flegg Team. Mason playing wouldn't have made much difference with the amount of players we had out...

f**k me we had to use Makasini Richter!!! COME ON!

2004/05 Knights without Johns=... :crazy:
2006 Dogs without Mason= Win Win Win
2006 Knights Without Johns= :lol: Lose Lose Lose!

RABK

Referee
That was tongue in cheek. Obviously went straight over your head, not suprised though.

Good luck when he retires?

Did anyone see the two young blues halves lead the under 19's to victory last night.

Walsh and Mullen, future stars. Both Knights boys signed for a long time. Cheers.

bulldog

Bench
Red and Blue Knight said:
Well we'll see in a little over a week.

I never doubted Mason's ability, infact i gave the bloke a huge wrap in saying he's on his way to Clyde's standing in the game.

But it is a fair comment that we contain him pretty well, bring him on. ;-)

I can see where you're coming from, and I'm looking forward to the clash, should be a big one, and Mason will be uncontainable.

Latest posts