What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Green or the Keating boys?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
IMO I see the Keating boys as a more of a priority to sign then Blake Green TBH.

Now this thread isn't directed at Greens game today, I was actually going to ask this question a couple of days ago but didn't get around to it, so don't use that Rolling eyes icon on me, otherwise I'll put the arrow icon on you in retaliation:lol:

Resigning Green would pretty much mean goodbye to the Keating boys as we'll have to many halves? I think our future lies with the likes of Hodgo, keatings etc, IMO I think we have more talented players then Green in the club around the halves position, and to resign him would mean we would pretty much loose those players to other clubs.

Yes they haven't step up to the plate yet, but imo I think with any half decent coaching, discipline & maturity they will make the tranisition quite easily. I don't buy into the argument that some players cannot step up, well maybe some, but imo the majority of the time it comes to coaching and giving youngsters a decent crack at first grade, not just one or 2 games but many, and showing confidence in the player just like Folkes does at Cantebury. Cantebury don't win many Premier League GF's but their players always step up when they need too, where as we'll win a couple of GF's and nothing looks likely.

Do not underestimate a good coach and what they can do to bring out the best in young players.

Anyway what do people think we should do?

Stagger eel

Staff member
if I had to choose now it'll definitely be Kris and Matt...but I'm glad I'm not the one making the choice.

Utey

Coach
Blake had one good game against an ordinary Canberra side and people here wanted him to be signed for 5 years. Finch would have shined there as well but nobody seemed to realise that.

I'm sure the club won't be throwing big bucks Blake's way yet, although hooker isn't where we will see the best of him IMO.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
Im telling to you guys now, i have seen kris keating play for a while now, he is the same age as me and i have played against him, the guy is a dead set freak, he has so much talent. He has a fittler like step and has a heap of skills, i would rather him then green any day.

Stagger eel

Staff member
hindmarsh4pm said:
Im telling to you guys now, i have seen kris keating play for a while now, he is the same age as me and i have played against him, the guy is a dead set freak, he has so much talent. He has a fittler like step and has a heap of skills, i would rather him then green any day.

mate I've been watching him since Mathews, I know ;-)

if there's a problem it's his lack of height but he's talented, fearless and very dedicated.

I still wouldn't throw him in first this year, not if we didn't have to anyway.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Matt is a no 9 so its a no brainer,

Green could really only be compared to Kris, but they are years apart

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Blake Green has made one bad play, whilst playing at hooker. He has played very well in premier league and deserves a chance to prove himself. I do agree that Kris Keating is going very well since moving up and I think that the chance has given him the confidence to kick on. But he still needs some time to refine his game. I just wish Hagan had shown some confidence in our younger halves and not signed Finch. Tim Smith and Blake Green are a very good combination.

I think that Matt Keating has been a great hooker in the premier league as well as Jimmy Storer. If it worked out I would have Matt Keating on the bench for first grade instead of Blake Green but where does that put Blake?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Twizzle said:
Matt is a no 9 so its a no brainer,

Green could really only be compared to Kris, but they are years apart

experiance, yes...but not in ability KK will be better player than Blake by next year imo. if not beforehand.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
kris keating (krippy) has all the talent, like some have said maybe his lack of size and hight is his only problem, but what he lacks there he makes up for it with a great brain. He can read plays well, what he did against the panthers was awesome, a young halfback, parra looked down and out, he stepped up to the challenge and got parra over the line.

Utey

Coach
Whats height got to do with it? He plays in the halves not on the wing. Unless you're worried about him getting monstered in defence?

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Was I correct in hearing that Kris Keating is only 17. If this is the case it is quite amazing that he is starting to already dominate reserve grade

Keating is a champion, I keep saying this all the time. He's a winner. The way he plays you can see that he is passionate and determined and mentally tough. Last year his 1st year in Flegg he looked unhappy and that was probably due to the coaching, he was played out of position at lock. But before then he was oustanding and now he is back to the way he was playing before.

If I had a choice from what i have seen so far Green v Keating. It would be Keating. he has an excellent running game witha wicked step and Backs up support wise very well like terry lamb used to do. he's got a great kicking game. If Keating continues to play at PL this year at the form he is at now. Then 1st grade for sure for him next year IMO.

Green is a very good player too. We are lucky to have these Juniors at our club. I can't see why we can't keep both Green and Keating and let Finch go. As both these young guys are potential Super Stars Especially Keating.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jake the snake said:
Green is a very good player too. We are lucky to have these Juniors at our club. I can't see why we can't keep both Green and Keating and let Finch go. As both these young guys are potential Super Stars Especially Keating.

that would work out well if both can be convinced that Finch will only be at the club until the end of the next year only.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
<UPtheEELS> said:
Whats height got to do with it? He plays in the halves not on the wing. Unless you're worried about him getting monstered in defence?
why else would i be worried about his height lol, imagine mason running at him lol
Yeah krippy is only 17

Avenger

Immortal
hindmarsh4pm said:
why else would i be worried about his height lol, imagine mason running at him lol
Yeah krippy is only 17

lack of height does not seem to worry Lockyer

cardinal

Juniors
hindmarsh4pm said:
Yeah krippy is only 17

Keating was a Australian schoolboy with Mullane from the knights 2 years ago so I thought he would be 19.

lucablight

First Grade
Jake weren't you saying you thought Blake Green was better than Tim Smith at one stage? I think time has shown Tim probably has more flair out of the two. How do you know Keating won't be the same?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Whoa...

A year or so ago, people were saying that Blake Green is the most talented natural half at the club. And now he's not so good...:?