What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Green

cardinal

Juniors
jayjayselmes said:
then maybe it should be

6. MArsh
7. Green

or

6. Finch
7. Green

although i hate finch

Bet all you Tim Smith haters were glad when he got hurt after 40 min against the knights I'd imagine you could not of stood seeing him give johns another lesson in the second half.

caylo

Bench
timmy has proved over and over again he is the man in the #7... hags can only be thinking of finch as a 5-8. Green can still prove his worth... if we get finch, green could possibly figure in origin time (i.e finch at halfback withhead always injured, gower always injured... kimmorly being crap or even timmy halfback with thurston form dropping). it adds depth and cant be bad, finch is not a bad player when he is with a dominat half patner (i.e fittler), he has a good running, passing, kicking game... and good vision... he just cant organise a team. he is also quick and a good support player, if he played a morris like role, it could work... and if we dont get him we have mateo and green... i dont see any problems

Stagger eel

Staff member
spiderdan said:
it will very probably end up being:

6. green/finch
7. smith
13. mateo (if he stays)

i thought you were banned from here jayjay. what gives?

I'm pretty certain Mateo will be at the club..and let us worry about Jay jay ;-)

Kornstar

Coach
cardinal said:
I stand corrected I thought Blake had his first year in jf in 2005, Plenty of players are on 200,000 and play off the bench how do you know hagan will not play marsh as starting hooker, riddell as a backrower on the bench, start green at 5/8 and play finch (if he comes) off the bench. If green is as impressive as you say he will get his chance I'd rather see him played later than to soon, and unless you have been talking to hagan lately I dont think you would have a clue what his plans are for next year, just as I dont. You sound like Ray Hadley when you call Brian Smith a disease, have some respect for what he did for this club, listen to peter sterling if you want an opinion on where the club is at now from when smith took over.

Brian Smith may have done plenty for this club, imo he also did plenty wrong for this club too. I do not have to like him, there is no law that says i must, i am glad he is gone and i can say whatever i like about him!!

I do not want Finch at the club, however if he comes i i will have to support him and hopefully if his form warrants it, he will be dropped accordingly, same goes for all players who are not performing!!

cardinal

Juniors
Kornstar said:
Brian Smith may have done plenty for this club, imo he also did plenty wrong for this club too. I do not have to like him, there is no law that says i must, i am glad he is gone and i can say whatever i like about him!!

I do not want Finch at the club, however if he comes i i will have to support him and hopefully if his form warrants it, he will be dropped accordingly, same goes for all players who are not performing!!

You can express your opinion whenever you want, but I do not have to agree with it, and in my opinion someone who says Blake Green should go and tear up his contract and calls Brian Smith a disease has not got any credibility. I will take hindys view on these matters and he has always endorsed Brian and today said he thought Finch would be great at 5/8, no mention of Green. If Green is as good at this stage of his carreer as you say he is then what is the problem he will get a shot in the trials and if he performs as Tim did he will get first shot. I also notice Green was not selected in the premier league team to play the curtain raiser before SOO in Melbourne, would have thought if his form had been so dominant he would of made that side.

CrazyEel

Bench
Kornstar said:
All this talk about if Blake is good enough he will play is crap, Jarryd Hayne has proven that he was ready for NRL alot sooner than we bought him in, it was only that disease who prohibited him from playing!! Just cause someone is good enough, doesn't always mean they will play!
I do agree with a lot you say but sorry mate, that is just crap. If Green has the quality and skill you say he has, and I don't doubt you, and he plays better than the contenders for his position then he will get the job. That is absolutely no different to how any first grader originally forced their way in, including Hindmarsh, Tim Smith and even Kenny and Sterling ffs. It's never been any other way.

ParraManiac

Juniors
Gronk said:
They need Finch because you cant rely on two rookies to be the cornerstone of your team. If they are all you have and simply fail at the top grade then your season is over from the go. The club invest something in the order of $10M per year in having a successful team. They make decissions to ensure the best possible success. If that means that Blake gets upset because he doesn't have a dream run to firsts, then welcome to the real world Blake.

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON!

ParraManiac

Juniors
How can we say that Finch is not in the same class as Blake Green, lets get a reality check people. Finch has played State of Origin and been in the top grade for many years at different clubs.

Blake last year couldnt cement a spot in PL and the games I saw him play in Flegg, didnt exactly set the world on fire!

Having said that I havent seen him play this year so I am sure he has improved. But he has not shown anywhere near enough to say he is in the same class as Finch.

If he is good enough he will make it, just as Tim has.

number8

Juniors
CrazyEel said:
I do agree with a lot you say but sorry mate, that is just crap. If Green has the quality and skill you say he has, and I don't doubt you, and he plays better than the contenders for his position then he will get the job. That is absolutely no different to how any first grader originally forced their way in, including Hindmarsh, Tim Smith and even Kenny and Sterling ffs. It's never been any other way.

That's not neccesrily true. The theory is sound but the reality of of it doesn't always play out that way. More often than not an injury, off season retirement, or contracted player leaving opens up the opportunity for a kid to break 1st grade. It's what they do after that, puts them ahead of the former!

It's catch 22 for Blake. He needs to play 1st grade to prove he's ready (or not) & he's not getting 1st crack due to inexperience. Sounds like getting a good job in real life I suppose!

ParraManiac

Juniors
As far as Rudder goes, he was quite a good player in his time at the Knights. Did you ever think he could be a very good Lock for us? Considering we have lost Morro and Widders, we need his type of player.

ParraManiac

Juniors
Kornstar it all depends on what kind of person Blake is. Is he the type who can overcome adversity and relishes a challenge? Or is he another Jamie Lyon spitting the dummy and taking his bat and ball home, leaving the club up sh*t creek?

Let us hope it is the former and then yes if he is good enough he will be there. I f he is the latter then we may as well stop wasteing our time right now!

number8

Juniors
ParraManiac said:
Kornstar it all depends on what kind of person Blake is. Is he the type who can overcome adversity and relishes a challenge? Or is he another Jamie Lyon spitting the dummy and taking his bat and ball home, leaving the club up sh*t creek?

Let us hope it is the former and then yes if he is good enough he will be there. I f he is the latter then we may as well stop wasteing our time right now!

I don't think that if he started thinking his future may be elsewhere & started looking that way would make him the latter at all. I'd hope he would stay & wait. But remember we here, all love the Eels so much that a lot of bias makes it hard to see from the proffesional footballers, carrer perspective.

If an opportunity arose elsewhere I think it would be harsh to critisise or question his charecter for taking it. I wouldn't call it a dummy spit or lack of resolve at all if he where thinking along these lines. It would be a business decision. Just like the one that saw Finch signed!

Gronk

Staff member
There seems to be a lot of people here that are scared that if you dont promote a rookie with potential than he will up and leave. A football team cannot be paranoid about this. Rookies will get their turn. Injuries and suspensions will happen and Blake will get a run. He is still just a kid and I am sure acknowledges that very few 19 year olds get to play with the big boys.

CrazyEel

Bench
number8 said:
That's not neccesrily true. The theory is sound but the reality of of it doesn't always play out that way. More often than not an injury, off season retirement, or contracted player leaving opens up the opportunity for a kid to break 1st grade. It's what they do after that, puts them ahead of the former!
Then I'm sure Blake will use an injury opportunity or whatever when it comes along. We'll agree to disagree mate, from what I've seen over the years the cream always rises to the top and if they're good enough they always force the guy in front of them out.

ParraManiac

Juniors
Number 8 it would be if he stormed into the office and told them to f@*% off and tear up his contract.

However if he saw out his contract, gave it his all and couldnt crack it for a spot, because he wasnt given a fair go. Then so be it none of us here could blame him for looking elsewhere.

number8

Juniors
ParraManiac said:
Number 8 it would be if he stormed into the office and told them to f@*% off and tear up his contract.

However if he saw out his contract, gave it his all and couldnt crack it for a spot, because he wasnt given a fair go. Then so be it none of us here could blame him for looking elsewhere.

I suppose it depends on what he was told when he signed. I do agree with you in many ways, I'm just offering a 2nd perspective. The employee perspective.

I had an experience a few years back where I got a job that I was good at & loved to do. It was a new Branch in a new town for the company & was just getting off the ground. I got on with Management great & was going above & Beyond my role because I wanted to. I was very good at it after only a short time. I was told by the Branch Manager, State Manager, & State Sales Manager that I was next in line for the sales rep job, the pay rise & car that came with it.

Then (about two weeks later) My manager took another job elsewhere & the Company went on the hunt for a new Branch Manager. For the Eight weeks while they where doing that, I ran the shop alone. Covering Sales, Deliveries, purchases & banking alone! At the end of which I was given a new Branch Manager only to have the State sales manager take a job with a rival & the State Manager go into a semi retired reduced role.

Having proved myself again with the new seniority the same situation repeated. The State Manager had made the Same Prommises adding that if the Branch Management position opened up that would also be mine if I wanted. He too left the company shortly after. After that my Branch Mgr Transferred to a Sydney Branch & I again was left to run the shop for another 8 weeks alone. The shop had increased it's business 3 fold on the last time.

I then was told by the new management (who had no f**king idea the short time they had control) that the company was going in a different direction & I'd have to bide my time. They Pretty much said I was good enough to run the shop, but I wasn't good enough to run the shop? They had no idea!

As you can imagine, like the job or not. I was mighty pissed! I ended up leaving to be a house Dad to our little kids because frankly, my wife had more opportunity & a better pay packet! I really liked all the blokes that the company bought in & had no hesitation in showing them the ropes. I was pissed but still did a great job for a while. But, I did leave in the end & before I had time to fully train up my replacement. Does that make me a Jamie Lyon type sook, I left them in the lurch?

I'm not even sure it'll make sense as to it's relevance to my point but I'm just wondering what (if any) promises were made in regard Blakes future as he's progressed.

Bigfella

Coach
He is not entitled to any promises.

He is contracted to the club to be used as they see fit. He has the opportunity to train as hard as he can, and to play as well as he can to impress.

The club would be thoroughly irresponsible to avoid signing a first grade standard half because it might put Blake's nose out of joint.

The guy has not yet forced a single game in first grade, yet people are assuming he should be promised the permanent position for the whole year next year?

No doubt Smith and Finch will get first crack at the halves. Injuries, rep games and all the other permutations will see opportunities for whoever is playing well below. That's how it works. No one gets given guarantees.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Bigfella said:
He is not entitled to any promises.

He is contracted to the club to be used as they see fit. He has the opportunity to train as hard as he can, and to play as well as he can to impress.

The club would be thoroughly irresponsible to avoid signing a first grade standard half because it might put Blake's nose out of joint.

The guy has not yet forced a single game in first grade, yet people are assuming he should be promised the permanent position for the whole year next year?

No doubt Smith and Finch will get first crack at the halves. Injuries, rep games and all the other permutations will see opportunities for whoever is playing well below. That's how it works. No one gets given guarantees.

True. Blake has to realise that he would be in the same position in any other club. He must play the best he can and give himself every chance to break into first grade. We do need depth in the halves.

spiderdan

Bench
The Ref in Seat 196 said:
True. Blake has to realise that he would be in the same position in any other club. He must play the best he can and give himself every chance to break into first grade. We do need depth in the halves.
i guess it's similar to pj.

i recall when he was coming back, df saying that pj was coming to the club to play halfback. who was to know that tim would have developed his game so quickly and been ready for first grade at the start of last year?

Latest posts