What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Fittler not at Captians Photo ?

drake

First Grade
From www.foxsports.com.au
Get real Freddy
By Mike Gibson
September 8, 2004

LAST Sunday I went to a family christening. It was a very pleasant affair. One bloke I met over a sausage sandwich was a truckdriver called Gary.

Fittler ... What piffle.

We got to talking and Gary, who lives in the western suburbs of Sydney, told me how lucky he was.

"I'm only driving 12 hours a day," he said. "Most of the truckies I know work a lot harder than that."

On Monday at Aussie Stadium, Roosters captain Brad Fittler failed to turn up for the Captains Call to promote the NRL finals series.

"He was mentally tired," explained Roosters' coach Ricky Stuart.

I wonder how Gary and his trucking colleagues must have felt, when they heard about Freddy's "mental fatigue".

While the other seven captains fulfilled their obligations, Freddy was unwinding in the Aussie Stadium pool only 100m from where the media conference was held.

Cowboys captain Travis Norton managed to get there. Despite a crook knee and a dose of the flu, he made the five-hour return flight from Townsville.

Gorden Tallis missed a training session with the Broncos to fly down from Brisbane.

Stephen Kearney flew up from Melbourne, Simon Woolford ditto from Canberra, while Steve Price was up at 1.45am [Sydney time] in Auckland to catch the plane.

Yet, when informed that the NRL felt that Freddy owed them some sort of explanation for his no-show, Roosters' CEO Brian Canavan pompously declared: "It's disappointing that an icon of our game can be challenged."

What piffle.

What was disappointing, Mr Canavan, was that Freddy failed to front for the NRL's biggest promotion of finals week.

What was disappointing was that the captain of the minor premiers couldn't even drag himself 100m from the swimming pool to appear at a 40-minute function held at his club's home ground.

So Freddy has been a little stretched in recent weeks? So he attended his testimonial last week and has freely spoken to the media?

Hey, doesn't that come with the territory?

When you're one of the highest profile and highest paid players in rugby league, isn't it part of your obligation to promote the game as best as you can?

So Freddy has been busier than usual since he announced his retirement?

How about big Gordy? He announced his retirement too. You reckon he wouldn't be extra busy up there in Brisbane?

And Steve Price? Fronting up to the media all year defending the Bulldogs - then announcing he's joining the Warriors next season.

Now there's a guy who has what you might describe as a full book.

No one wants to rain on Freddy's parade. Magnificent player. Marvellous career. All of that.

Sure, he has promoted the game. And sure, he does his share of charity work, which is commendable.

But there are many fans who believe that rugby league players are grossly overpaid for the actual amount of work that they do each week, and if it gets a little busy sometimes, jeez Freddy, join the club.

Not a bad call by Gibson IMHO. I know this has been near done to death,but I think its a good rant.
link: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,10703438-23214,00.html

Shifty

Juniors
The NRL were afraid that if they took action against Fittler then the Roosters would charge them with bringing the game into disrepute. ;-)

Grantwhy

Juniors
Roosters called to account over Fittler
By Steve Mascord
September 7, 2004

"Stephen Kearney has had a hamstring injury and his knee blew up in the plane at the weekend," said Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy. "We asked if we could send someone else but they [the NRL] jacked up. Anyway, this is their problem, not mine."
source: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/06/1094322717975.html

So an interstate team has to send their (injured) captain, but the Roosters don't?

Grantwhy said:
So an interstate team has to send their (injured) captain, but the Roosters don't?
And I'm sure you would have no qualms about it if Norton's injury worsens due to the travel.

So the Roosters made a bad call. Get over it. Honestly, you people have nothing better to do than to sensationalise headlines. Especially if it has anything to do with the Roosters.

hotsnow

Juniors
Yet, when informed that the NRL felt that Freddy owed them some sort of explanation for his no-show, Roosters' CEO Brian Canavan pompously declared: "It's disappointing that an icon of our game can be challenged."

oh my god . . .

rossy

Juniors
The Roosters have had to do it every year for years.

NQ and the Raiders are excited because it's a new experience for them.

Anyway, it's just a News Ltd freeby.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Grantwhy said:
And I'm sure you would have no qualms about it if Norton's injury worsens due to the travel.

So the Roosters made a bad call. Get over it. Honestly, you people have nothing better to do than to sensationalise headlines. Especially if it has anything to do with the Roosters.

I think you missed the point of my post :p it wasn't aimed at just the Roosters and the injured player refered to in my post wasn't Norton. hint: read it again for his name :D.

The Melbourne Storm asked if they could send someone else to stand in for their Captain (who's getting over/has an injury).

The NRL said no.

The Roosters apparently didn't ask, they just did.

Not good 'teamwork' by the Roosters, but terrible 'officiating' by the NRL to not take them to task over it.

:(

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
"Yet, when informed that the NRL felt that Freddy owed them some sort of explanation for his no-show, Roosters' CEO Brian Canavan pompously declared: "It's disappointing that an icon of our game can be challenged."

WANKER!!! Canavan is just as bad as the rest of the ego headed freaks. :roll:

OVP

Coach
Kiwi said:
To anyone saying it was no big deal, what about "80's" week, the sh*t fans raved on about in here about teams not doing right by league ect. Yet it is now ok for a captain to not turn up to the photo shoot which has become a TRADITION, all be it a new one.

Only a Bonko would call that tradition. The only tradition your club knows is how to ruin a sport.

drake

First Grade
My issue is not with the Roosters thinking they can do what they want, it's with the NRL for proving them right every time.

sydraider

First Grade
and the other is the disgraceful "junior boundaries" that allow your sh*t club such a MASSIVE junior area that stretches from Canberra to the Vic border

:roll: A Roosters fan worried about the size of a clubs junior area!
With the size of the roosters chequebook when it comes to young talent, why would you give a rats about something like that???
It appears to me that the roosters have the largest junior base in the league- Everyone elses :lol:

PB

Bench
Poor old Freddy.........

Too mentally drained to appear at the captains photo shoot. But when there is adulation to be recieved on the Footy Show, suddenly he is ok, and the Roosters aren't trying to "look after him" anymore........... :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll:

hrundi99

First Grade
rossy said:
The Roosters have had to do it every year for years.

NQ and the Raiders are excited because it's a new experience for them.

The Raiders have been in the finals 16 of the last 19 years.

The Roosters have been in the finals 10 of the last 19 years.

Get your hand off it Rooster boy.

sretsoor

Juniors
PB said:
Poor old Freddy.........

Too mentally drained to appear at the captains photo shoot. But when there is adulation to be recieved on the Footy Show, suddenly he is ok, and the Roosters aren't trying to "look after him" anymore........... :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll:

Umm....................

Maybe it has something to do with the fact he's had 3 days break from a full on week of media commitments last week that he can get back into it. :roll:

Foz

Bench
Thunderstruck said:
did they ask about him not appearing at the photo shoot?

Yeh they did.
Fatty started with saying we have to ask you (about the non appearance at the Captains meeting).
Fittler mumbled something about him and Ricky assessing things after the game on Sunday (as Ricky does with all his players) and it was decided to give him a couple of days off.
After trying to appear to be tough at the outset there was no follow up from any of the panel with a question about him being in a pool up the road.
Fittler was using his left footed sidestep but he didnt come across as being too successful at giving an excuse.

Fittler should have been there...is all the other captains can fly from Brisbane and Melbourne etc to attend then he is just too bloody lazy !!..

:roll:

innsaneink

Referee
Foz said:
Thunderstruck said:
did they ask about him not appearing at the photo shoot?

Yeh they did.
Fatty started with saying we have to ask you (about the non appearance at the Captains meeting).
Fittler mumbled something about him and Ricky assessing things after the game on Sunday (as Ricky does with all his players) and it was decided to give him a couple of days off.
After trying to appear to be tough at the outset there was no follow up from any of the panel with a question about him being in a pool up the road.
Fittler was using his left footed sidestep but he didnt come across as being too successful at giving an excuse.

Didnt he also mention that he has missed this photo opportunity in the past and that other captains have missed it?

I knew fittler had missed it previously......Id be curious to know which other captains have.