What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Fittler not at Captians Photo ?

innsaneink

Referee
RB30DETT said:
Price had to come from NZ.

Thats right....something like a 1.30 am wake up call I heard.....yeah thatd be right while Price & Norton, Tallis Woolford etc all travelling to Sydney freddies tucked up in his nice warm bed......

:lol:
sticky zinged doust and overshadowed the whole furore nicely
----------
From Fox Sports

Fittler furore erupts
September 7, 2004

ANGRY NRL officials last night contacted the Sydney Roosters demanding to know why Brad Fittler did not attend a promotional event featuring the captains of the finals teams.

The NRL organised a Captains Call yesterday at Aussie Stadium with each team in the finals series sending their skipper for a photo shoot.

North Queensland captain Travis Norton made the five-hour return flight despite a dose of the flu, arriving on Sunday and leaving yesterday.

Gorden Tallis came down from Brisbane and missed a training session yesterday, as did Melbourne's Stephen Kearney and Canberra skipper Simon Woolford.

But Fittler was absent, with teammate Luke Ricketson filling in.

Soon after the press conference it emerged that the Roosters skipper was just 100 metres away at the Sydney Football Stadium pool with his teammates having a recovery session.

Roosters coach Ricky Stuart said Fittler asked the club - and was granted - permission not to attend.

Stuart said Fittler "mentally needed a break" after last week's testimonial dinner and then Sunday's final regular season game for the Roosters.

But NRL boss David Gallop last night wanted an explanation from the Roosters.

"Getting eight captains together is an important chance to showcase our finals series," Gallop said.

"It was disappointing Brad wasn't there and we will be seeking an explanation.

"In the meantime we would like to extend our thanks to Luke Ricketson for being there on such short notice."

Privately, some of the rival captains present were upset Fittler did not attend.

Stuart defended his player who makes regular and at times unsolicited appearances for charities.

"Brad asked me and Brian [Canavan, chief executive] if we would allow him not to attend," Stuart said.

"I'm trying to get a bloke prepared for a game of football. He has done backflips for the media last week and for the game itself. He has been doing those since State of Origin. The guy mentally needs a break.

"Brad usually doesn't ask to be relieved of these media duties. I'm putting football first this time.

"I don't normally do that because I'm all for promoting the game.

"But I'm sure our fans will feel more comfortable with Brad preparing for the match - that comes first."

St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust - who attended the Captains Call - was also frustrated at Fittler's absence.

"I was unbelievably surprised that all the captains weren't there," Doust said.

"We know it is Monday morning of a semi-final week but we have to recognise how important it is to the promotion of the game. Stephen Kearney, Gorden Tallis, Travis Norton and Simon Woolford were all there.

"The Roosters tend to brag about their arrogance but I don't think this does them any good."

Stuart fired back: "There was never, ever any doubt Peter Doust would be there - there were TV cameras."

The Daily Telegraph

I've always wondered what that inept f**kwit Doust is doing on the sideline during the games
Oh that's right he'd be babysitting Nathan Nappies Brown

azza

Juniors
Come on OVP. Seriously I didn't want to waddle into this debate, everyone loves their club and I don't like to bag them for it, but making such comments about the Raiders is just lame.

Especially when you make such good posts about the cricket ;-)

Kris_man

Bench
it's a stupid comment by Stuart.
what some of your aren't realising is that by Fittler not being there, the whole even is ruined. i'm sure the NRL planned to put this "8 captains" photo everywhere, but now its just cheapened immensely, its totally phony, simply because of one mentally weak captain (and thats the nicestway of describing him).

Kiwi

First Grade
To anyone saying it was no big deal, what about "80's" week, the shit fans raved on about in here about teams not doing right by league ect. Yet it is now ok for a captain to not turn up to the photo shoot which has become a TRADITION, all be it a new one.

Pantherjim.

Referee
kris_man said:
ok prick, you're now in my bad books. it's people like you giving the rest of the Roosters fans a bad name.

And this is such a rare occurance among Roosters fans on this forum isn't it? :roll:

Actually, with the exception of KFC, Southern Rooster, Corbin, Penelope Pittstop and perhaps Dice when he's not talking complete and utter unadulterated sh*t, can you find me another Roosters supporter on this forum that doesn't make their fanbase look like a wanker convention??

Pantherjim.

Campbell,P-4040201L.jpg

Chook

First Grade
Boo hoo! So he didn't attend a photo shoot. I think I remember he didn't attend one last year as well with Ricko in his place at Telstra Stadium?

Look up the word obsession! It's what you all have with the Roosters.

Chook.

Chook said:
Boo hoo! So he didn't attend a photo shoot. I think I remember he didn't attend one last year as well with Ricko in his place at Telstra Stadium?

Chook.

Exactly, Chook. If it had been some other captain, nothing would have been said. It's the old, familiar story.

Kiwi

First Grade
Renowned League Expert said:
Chook said:

Chook.

Exactly, Chook. If it had been some other captain, nothing would have been said. It's the old, familiar story.

Bollucks, there would be an even bigger uproar if Tallis had not attended. Just because it's your team you don't care. Rooster fans harp on about what a great tradition the club has, when it suits them of course.

And really how much of a "mental strain" would it have been for Fittler to put on his playing gear, pose for a photo, say a few words then leave? Is he that mentally weak?

Skum

Juniors
Its simple. With the treatment they get, they think they are above the game. I think its pretty piss poor to not be able to goto a ground and get ur photo taken, especially as others had to go so far to do so.

Kiwi

First Grade
Renowned League Expert said:
We'll do what we want, whenever we want.

What Stuart is telling us is that Fittler is too mentally weak to get his photo taken some 100 metres from where he was in a pool.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Someone else said it. What if Tallis never turned up. What if Wayne Bennett said he had better things to do. The scribes would have gone ballistic.

Is Fittler hiding an injury he picked up in Sundays game? He definitely did something to himself in one tackle, was limping and went off soon after. I think this is the real reason.

drake

First Grade
From smh.com.au
Roosters called to account over Fittler
By Steve Mascord
September 7, 2004

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen last night warned that clubs might be tempted to snub NRL promotions in the future if the league is unable to take action against Sydney Roosters for Brad Fittler's no-show at a captain's call yesterday.

Officials have demanded to know why the minor premiers granted their celebrated five-eighth a pardon from attending the traditional photo and interview session for eight finals captains at Aussie Stadium yesterday - only for Fittler to show up at the same venue for a team recovery session while the promotion was still in progress.

Fittler said last night: "I don't watch the news and I've got no comment on it," but the Roosters said he was mentally drained after a week of hype in the lead-up to his final regular-season game and had friends from out of town to entertain.

"Gorden [Tallis] is playing his last game in Brisbane this week and the training session he missed is our big one of the week," Cullen said. "We didn't necessarily want him to go to [the event] and he didn't necessarily want to go, but we had enough respect for the occasion and for the finals to make sure he went.

Advertisement
Advertisement
"You've got players coming from the Cowboys and Melbourne and Canberra for it and yet it's his [Fittler's] home ground and he's not there. They tell me he was even at the stadium. It's hard to fathom."

Cullen said the Broncos would continue to co-operate with NRL promotions but added: "It does open a Pandora's box. If they can't discipline [the Roosters] then . . . they have won the minor premiership, he is the captain, it's their ground and he is high-profile. It's just hard to understand."

It's not the first time the captain's call has been below strength - injured Monty Betham filled in for the Warriors last year - but the fact Fittler was too busy to take part has irked other clubs.

North Queensland's Travis Norton braved the flu and a knee injury to travel from Townsville, Canberra's Simon Woolford patiently fielded questions on a high-tackle charge and Bulldog Steve Price had to get up in Auckland at 1.45am (Sydney time).

"Stephen Kearney has had a hamstring injury and his knee blew up in the plane at the weekend," said Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy. "We asked if we could send someone else but they [the NRL] jacked up. Anyway, this is their problem, not mine."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said: "The eight captains press conference is an important part of showcasing our finals series. We're disappointed that Brad was not there and we'll be seeking an explanation from the Roosters.

"It's not something we would consider a penalty for and I appreciate Luke Ricketson coming along at late notice."

The NRL was told of the switch early yesterday morning.

Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan said Fittler had asked late on Sunday night to be excused from the event because of "personal reasons".

"He's been exceptionally busy for the last week and going back to Origin," said Canavan. "He wanted to spend some time with his family and he had friends down from the bush.

"He had an enormous day yesterday and had to rush back to the club for a live [television] cross that night. We literally had to drag him away from his family.

"I would ask people to accept he was feeling the effects of a very stressful week and also realise that Luke Ricketson has played 278 first-grade games, and has captained the club before and attended the captain's call before."

Roosters coach Ricky Stuart said: "Freddie [Fittler] rang me late last night and asked if it was all right if he didn't go. He's been doing backflips for the league and lots of media all last week. I don't see it being a drama."

Canberra chief executive Simon Hawkins said: "I'm not going to comment on Brad Fittler but I know Simon [Woolford] is proud to pose for the photograph and wanted to be there."

Woolford is certain to challenge his grade-two careless high-tackle charge arising from Saturday's win over South Sydney. It carries a three-week ban.

"I didn't think there was much in it, personally," he told reporters at the captain's call. "I'm sure the club will do everything they can to fight it."

The other players charged yesterday - South Sydney's Scott Logan and Manly's Albert Torrens - are not involved in the finals.

Brisbane yesterday re-signed captain Darren Lockyer for five years and fullback Karmichael Hunt for two.

The first members of Australia's Tri-Nations train-on squad are Newcastle's Danny Buderus, Matt Gidley and Ben Kennedy, Parramatta's Nathan Hindmarsh and Cronulla's Brett Kimmorley.
Kearney has to fly to Sydney to attend with a hammy injury and adolf gets an exemption for being tired?
WTF?

We'll do what we want, whenever we want.

He's not half wrong, and until the NRL (and I mean all the interested parties in the NRL) stand up, the Roosters will continue to do as they please.

source: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/06/1094322717975.html

DJ1

Juniors
He was most likely stressed out about the cost of living in the Eastern Suburbs.

Considering the "no show" fine for Tim Sheens this year and Melbourne asked the NRL if they could send a replacement for Kearney due to his injury but were denied,

would it be a fine?

dice

Juniors
Timbo said:
Well why is Ricketson exempt from the ban? If anyone is exempt from the ban, it should be Fittler!

Fittler is key to our chances and Sticky wants him to stay focused. Ricko on the other hand is the most senior player and gets on well with the media.

Latest posts