What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

Reports in the media today suggest that Brett Stewart "crash tackled" the girl who was standing outside his apartment.

Now is it just me or is the Brett Stewart thing looking more and more like a mountain out of molehill scenario?

My position on the Brett Stewart thing is that I want to know more information before I stand him down. I know that sounds wierd - but the whole thing has sounded suspicious from the outset.

I think drawing parallels between the gang rape of a disabled person and what very well may be a drunken practical joke with no malice that has gone wrong does nobody any favours at all.

No. No. No. No.

If he has crash tackled or been lude towards a 17 year girl that he didn't know at all then he will get what he deserves.

Being drunk is no excuse.

WhiteWesWelker

Juniors
Sooooooo they family had just moved into an apartment in Manly in which Brett Stewart lived.. they state they never knew he lived there and didn' even know who Brett Stewart was... okay, could be possible.. so where did they moved from???

FRENCHS FOREST... which is still in the Manly-Warringah district and where the criminal father owes $10,000 rent...

The three daughters goto high school in the Manly area and don't know who Brett Stewart is... riiiiight..

Dad woulda been thinkin cash cow here :sarcasm:

Believe it or not. A majority of Australians don't care for Rugby League.

I find it completely legitimate that they wouldn't know who he is.

And also, for the record, he doesn't live in the same building, someone posted an article in here which stated it was 2 doors down.

What stupid logic you have there.

MANLYMAGIC08

Juniors
So now according to Josh Masoud's article...

Onlookers saw him exit the cab and crash tackle the girl and they then had to pull him off the girl... There was no long chat now and then walking to the stairwell/entrance area like previously reported where she screamed and her dad ran out and pulled Stewart off... conflicting....

WhiteWesWelker

Juniors
So now according to Josh Masoud's article...

Onlookers saw him exit the cab and crash tackle the girl and they then had to pull him off the girl... There was no long chat now and then walking to the stairwell/entrance area like previously reported where she screamed and her dad ran out and pulled Stewart off... conflicting....

Show me the article where it says they had a long chat, please...

WhiteWesWelker

Juniors
Two questions for you ManlyMagic08...

1) With excess alcohol consumption having a proven negative physiological effect on the body, do you think it is okay for Manly players to get extremely drunk a week before the season?

2) Do you think it is okay for a man to tackle a woman on the street?

Thanks.

So he was blind drunk and between the taxi and his front door he tackled the girl, then was so drunk he didn't/couldn't get off her without help from onlookers. A bloody stupid thing to do yes, but nowhere near as bad as the sexual assault or rape allegations that have been implied recently. It seems the family and the media are trying to milk it for all it's worth.

MANLYMAGIC08

Juniors
That article by the Telecrap also states "I was too drunk to remember anything" says Brett Stewart. If he refused to answer any questions in the police interview and has not release any statement since, how do they get this statement?!?!?! :crazy:

bennoonthehill

Juniors
If he was that drunk maybe he just tripped and fell on her?

Regardless of the result of this, as a Manly fan it tarnishes our recent achievements, and if there actually is a sexual abuse case to answer he should go. The team is bigger than one player, and will overcome this blight on our club and our code. Until he is charged though, the speculation and innuendo should stop. It won't of course, but that's life.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Wasn't this similar to what Dane Tilse was sacked and deregistered for?

Anyway, it is a bad look for Rugby League that fully grown men are going around tackling 17 year old girls. Allegedly

CharlieF

Juniors
No. No. No. No.

If he has crash tackled or been lude towards a 17 year girl that he didn't know at all then he will get what he deserves.

Being drunk is no excuse.

I believe that no laws were changed that would not allow you to use intoxication as an excuse. Not that I would condone any sort of bad behaviour, but they are the laws.

We are slowly starting to see a different story emerge. Yes he may have crash tackled her as he came out of a cab, and from all reports caused no injuries and in front of multiple witnesses. But that is a big change from sexually assaulting her in a dark stair well. I would like to know where that story originally came from?

Agendas anyone?

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said the club was continuing its own investigations but expressed surprise that police were continuing theirs.
"I'm a bit perplexed to hear the police are continuing to investigate, when as far as the hotel, the sponsor and the player are concerned, the issue's been resolved," Mayer said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/2247772/Police-press-on-with-Watmough-inquiries

Ofcourse ur perplexed scumbag you tried to sweep it under the rug while the cops have pulled it from under the feet of ya.

Hope the sponsor has the guts as the fact that Watmough wasn't punished at all is quite simply disgusting.

Noa

First Grade
This keeps getting worse :?

No worries, Ill rephrase it.

What incident are you talking about cause if your referring to Stewart in what world is a crash tackle, which was probably done in fun, worse then being accused of sexual assault.

CharlieF

Juniors
Ofcourse ur perplexed scumbag you tried to sweep it under the rug while the cops have pulled it from under the feet of ya.

Hope the sponsor has the guts as the fact that Watmough wasn't punished at all is quite simply disgusting.

Its all sour grapes and Kharma is a bitch.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I believe that no laws were changed that would not allow you to use intoxication as an excuse. Not that I would condone any sort of bad behaviour, but they are the laws.

We are slowly starting to see a different story emerge. Yes he may have crash tackled her as he came out of a cab, and from all reports caused no injuries and in front of multiple witnesses. But that is a big change from sexually assaulting her in a dark stair well. I would like to know where that story originally came from?

Agendas anyone?

Yeah, the media has handled this disgracefully but I don't think it is so much an anti-rugby league agenda as a sensationalism agenda.

Sex sells and sexual assaults sells better especially when it is a famous person. I mean it is easier for the media to just slap a rapist tag on a rugby league player because of a perceived image the public has with the average league player (a sleazy thug) and this image is in PART a creation of the media, but rugby league does need to take some responsibility for this image.

In these threads we hear a lot about responsibility. The responsibility of an unbiased press, of women to not put themselves into certain positions. Yet the one thing we don't hear from is that Rugby League players need to pull their f**king heads in with the attitudes that some seemingly have towards women and the public in general. They are not Gods they are very good athletes.

I love Rugby League and I wish it was a giant sport, but the players do bring this upon themselves. If they were all cleanskins then the media wouldn't be able to push any agenda besides "rugby league players, too boring ???"

EDIT

While I edit in the post I was responding to (this thread moves pretty fast) I will say this. Rugby League players are human beings and shouldn't be looked up to as angelic role models. That is certainly not the point I am making. They should be able to go out and have a laugh with their mates without some idiot filming every action they do on a camera phone trying to catch them doing something a bit stupid.

They do need to take responsibility for these sorts of incidents, but also the clubs and the sponsors if they don't want the players who advertise their products out acting like imbeciles. Sponsors need to stop giving players free alcohol. When Todd Carney famously pissed all over Dane Tilse's mate he had been fed free alcohol from start to finish by various sponsors.

Who would seriously turn down a free beer ? Certainly not me. The game just needs to be sensible about this, you don't need to ban alcohol but there has to be some kind of change in attitudes towards both alcohol and women and that will be difficult because these attitudes can start very young.

Last edited:

Syko

Juniors
so now the victims dad is being targetted as a fraudster. If this case turns out to be true, manly should be heavily fined.

adamkungl

Immortal
so now the victims dad is being targetted as a fraudster. If this case turns out to be true, manly should be heavily fined.

Manly should be fined because the Telegraph has dug up dirt on the alleged victim's (its starting to look like the only thing she was a victim of is a drunk falling on her) father? :crazy: