What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian McClennan Sacked

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'm sure he is loving it considering most NZ fans were saying Cleary was shite and team won in spite of him...yet same roster...and no finals or even competitive after making the Grand Final.

We must talk to different fans. Most I've spoken to appreicate the job Cleary did in rebuilding the club that was worse off when he first got here than it is now, but questioned his ability to take the team to the next level where it was a genuine premiership threat on a consistent basis.

Also the same roster comment doesn't really work when half the roster is sidelined for the majority of the season, and until the players gave up we managed to be competitive in the majority of games.

Bluey made some big mistakes that meant he couldn't continue beyond this year, but he's not as horrible a coach as people want to make out imo.

Patorick

Staff member
I feel a bit sorry for him.

Good likable bloke, just wasn't up to it at NRL level.

Back to ESL, maybe?

First Grade
Owen Glenn is a hard-nosed businessman who will be hating this embarrassment of a season. He won't want to appoint anyone who will make him look stupid if they fail.

IE, we will not hire Kearney as the head coach, because he recently failed in the NRL and the media would have a field day if he replicated those results for us.

We will not hire Daniel Anderson as he has had personality clashes with players here in the past, and a repeat would make our management look stupid.

We will not hire someone inexperienced or unproven in the NRL.

We'll get the best available proven NRL coach with the highest winning ratio and number of grand final appearances and wins.

I say again they should throw a lot of money at Rick Stone

Rebel

First Grade
The club is in talks with two candidates (both of whom have been mentioned in this thread). One is a novice, one is an experienced NRL coach.

And Kearney has all but signed on as an assistant.

Thats what I'm hearing.

Rebel

First Grade
I'm sure he is loving it considering most NZ fans were saying Cleary was shite and team won in spite of him...yet same roster...and no finals or even competitive after making the Grand Final.

Very few Warriors fans disliked Cleary.

Juju

Juniors
Cleary sat in my bay at the game on Sunday while the Juniors were playing. He genuinely enjoyed the attention by the looks and the crowd were great to him.
I am sure he is enjoying Bluey getting the boot but I don't think he has a issue with the fans here.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The club is in talks with two candidates (both of whom have been mentioned in this thread). One is a novice, one is an experienced NRL coach.

And Kearney has all but signed on as an assistant.

Thats what I'm hearing.

Coaches mentioned

- Folkes
- Potter
- Stone
- Arthur
- Anderson
- Kidwell (I'm picking him as the novice?)
- Brown
- Murray
- Iro
- Ackland
- McKenna :sarcasm:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I don't think he'd enjoy seeing Bluey get the boot, but it's human for there to be a certain level of self satisfaction that things haven't gone as well without him.

I doubt he wants to see the Warriors in this state though, or the players, most of whom he brought up into first grade.

Loudstrat

Coach
We will not hire someone inexperienced or unproven in the NRL.

We'll get the best available proven NRL coach with the highest winning ratio and number of grand final appearances and wins.
So its a toss up between Chris Anderson and Michael Hagan then

Hasler - Dogs
Bennet - Knights
Bellamy - Murdoch's pin number
Folkes - Dragons FG coach-in-waiting
Lang - retired
Sticky - Parra
Hagan - Available
Anderson - Available
Reilly -Retired
Fulton - ...........How far do you want to go back?

Seriously, your options are slim. Either an ex FG coach NOT linked to a FG job (Stone, Henjack, Millward, Elliot, Kearney, Brown), or current assistant coach with aspirations (Dymock, Arthur, Matterson), or an old head with bad bits to his resume.

You wont get a GF winning coach. Both Anderson and Hagan have retired.

I reckon Iro assisted by Kearney is on the cards. Its what NZ always do - pick their mates. Daniel Anderson was probably the difference.

Seriously though, Jim Dymock stands out like Wittyfan in a wet T shirt comp.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It won't be Iro assisted by Kearney. If Iro was that well thought of, he'd have got the job ahead of McClennan.

I would entertain the likes of Stone, Dymock, Folkes, Potter etc.

And why can't we get a GF-winning coach? Newcastle got one because of a billionaire owner. We have one of those too. Who is to say that a Bellamy won't come...money talks.

shiznit

Coach
ive been hearing bellamy's name the last couple of weeks...

with kearney and arthur as his assistants...

does anyone know what bellache's situation at the storm is like at the moment??

i couldn't see them giving him up...

Loudstrat

Coach
It won't be Iro assisted by Kearney. If Iro was that well thought of, he'd have got the job ahead of McClennan.

I would entertain the likes of Stone, Dymock, Folkes, Potter etc.

And why can't we get a GF-winning coach? Newcastle got one because of a billionaire owner. We have one of those too. Who is to say that a Bellamy won't come...money talks.

The only GF winning coaches that I can recall from the last decade are either within 12 months of signing their first contract, retired, or Steve Folkes.

If Bellamy is a GF winning coach, Ben Johnson is a gold medallist.

Bench
The only GF winning coaches that I can recall from the last decade are either within 12 months of signing their first contract, retired, or Steve Folkes.

If Bellamy is a GF winning coach, Ben Johnson is a gold medallist.
Take Tim Sheens please,we will throw in a international winger in Lote,hell you can have Heighington too.