What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith Quits

Scoddy

Juniors
Now that Brians gone from the Eels are we expecting an improvement overnight?

Will be interesting to see if it was the coach or the '' cattle '' he had to work with causing the problems.

Misty Bee

First Grade
This is the best news Parramatta has had since Price smashed Bugden on fulltime in the '86 decider! There is massive jubilation across the globe tonight!

Typical of Smith to bag Fitzgerald in the end. Fitzy couldn't have been more loyal. Even when a normal club CEO (ie one with a brain) would have punted him, Fitzy stood firm.

Parramatta are now back on track. I predict them to give it to Penrith, go on a winning streak, and threaten big time by September.

I predict also we will all suddenly see an end to the following Parramatta characteristics:

1) Tim Smith to delete the surprise 6th tackle option: Give it to Paul Stringer.

2) The ban on smiling that has been imposed upon Nathan Cayless and Timana Tahu will be lifted.

3) Someone will play pivot, and give Tahu and Grothe the ball in space.

4) Nathan Cayless will be free to snot someone and actually play like a front rower.

and finally....

A realisation that a game goes for 80 minutes, and the season ends in October.

I expect John Howard to phone in from Washinton and declare a public holiday. While I await the declaration, I will lop the top off the champers, boil up the lobster, and look for a stadium to burn down in celebration!!!!!

HEEYAH EELS!!!!!!!!

macavity

Referee
haha the jubilation will last until you realise your next full-time coach is a bigger dud than your last one.

Hages doesn't have the 'give it to joey' gameplan to fall back on in slime-ville.

enjoy the memories of '05 Parra, you aren't going to see finals footy for a LONG time..

Mr Saab

Referee
Yaaaaah for Misty...he can finally post in the Eels forum after a self imposed ban.

Eels are absolute phricken morals this friday night. Go thru the history of the past 10 yrs of mid season coaching changes and you will see they win 1st up with the new coach. Heck, Wigan who suck brought in Noble and they won their 1st game.

Misty Bee

First Grade
except that Parra have a decent squad, not Joey and some spare change.

Wait until Joey starts giving it to Craig Smith on tackle 6.

Hagan's some dud. He won a premiership, didn't he? Oh yeah, Joey. I forgot.

****sits here scratching my head wondering how Wests, Canterbury, Easts and Penrith ever won comps without Joey****

Didnt Smith lose a Country Origin game with Joey in the side?

BWNB

First Grade
i tipped Raper to be the first coach fired , but i was wrong it was smith
Smith has got his team in this situation before and has got them out i think he wasnt far away from a win , but in all honousty i dont blame him for walking out

Misty Bee

First Grade
Scoddy said:
Now that Brians gone from the Eels are we expecting an improvement overnight?

Will be interesting to see if it was the coach or the '' cattle '' he had to work with causing the problems.

Yes it will, but considering it was the coach who bought the cattle in the first place.....

I think Parra have a pretty decent squad. Not perfect, but plenty of speed, brawn and ball playing ability. I also think Smith is a very intelligent coach - at his best in developing young players.

He'd be perfect for Souths. He's the last premiership winning coach the Bunnies have had. And he has Parra playing so much like Souths do.

Is that why he signed up for Newcastle when they had the spoon?

RABK

Referee
Southern Rooster said:
He did but he won a premiership at SOUTHS with Mario Fenech as skipper if memory serves me correctly.

I thought Smith is a premiership virgin.

Mr Saab

Referee
Scoddy said:
Now that Brians gone from the Eels are we expecting an improvement overnight

they are morals this friday night vs the panthers. Get on at the TAB

choc_soldier

Coach
I actually found out about all of this about half an hour before it was officially announced, as I work with someone who is one of the trainers, and I guess they were all "briefed" beforehand.

But anyway, it was no shock to me. If anything, it should have happened sooner.

I would not like to be the team who plays them this weekend. Oh, wait... :lol:

Rod

Bench
Misty Bee said:
except that Parra have a decent squad, not Joey and some spare change.

The same spare change that is sitting third on the ladder and had the equal biggest Australian representation?

Misty Bee said:
Wait until Joey starts giving it to Craig Smith on tackle 6

I doubt Joey will start making the same mistakes as the "next Peter Sterling" 14 years into his first grade career.

Misty Bee said:
Hagan's some dud. He won a premiership, didn't he? Oh yeah, Joey. I forgot.

I actually don't think Hagan is a really bad coach, but he did walk into a very good squad from Warren Ryan.

Misty Bee said:
Didnt Smith lose a Country Origin game with Joey in the side?

What the hell does that prove? Yes even Andrew Johns loses sometimes.

It always makes me laugh when coaches are the first ones blamed for a team performing poorly, perhaps the Eels players should look at themselves as they are the real problem. Players like Tim Smith and Hindmarsh are playing nothing like their potential for starters, Tahu is pretty much the only person who has looked dangerous week in, week out this season.

Mr Saab

Referee
Wasting your time Rod, Misty is a Smith hater and sense will never enter his head regarding Smiths 9 1/3 yrs at the club

Nuffy

Bench
I think a few of the Parra players need a good look in the mirror.

The same coach and players were minor premiers last year, whats different?

Bag Smith all you like Parra fans but wait for the Supercoach next year, you'll be begging for Smith back.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Rod said:
I doubt Joey will start making the same mistakes as the "next Peter Sterling" 14 years into his first grade career.

no it only took him what 5 years to start throwing tantrums at his own players...

Y2Eel

First Grade
Nuffy said:
I think a few of the Parra players need a good look in the mirror.

The same coach and players were minor premiers last year, whats different?

Bag Smith all you like Parra fans but wait for the Supercoach next year, you'll be begging for Smith back.

same applies for you guys...

Y2Eel

First Grade
macavity said:
haha the jubilation will last until you realise your next full-time coach is a bigger dud than your last one.

Hages doesn't have the 'give it to joey' gameplan to fall back on in slime-ville.

enjoy the memories of '05 Parra, you aren't going to see finals footy for a LONG time..
smith doesnt have a game plan
enjoy those memories of 01' ;-)

Rod

Bench
Y2Eel said:
no it only took him what 5 years to start throwing tantrums at his own players...

:roll:

What can I say, Joey expects the best from his players, he's got high standards. If the occassional tantrum means the players are always trying to do their best to meet those expectations, fine by me. Parra players need a tantrum or two thrown at them regardless.

Latest posts