What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos under investigation for possible salary cap irregularities

Haven't read the thread so don't know if it's been mentioned. But the fact that Lockyer was on the books for $250k at the back end of his career....seriously how hasn't this happened sooner?

100% Agree. I heard Bruno Cullen when he was the Bronco's boss in a radio interview basically admit that at the time 15 of the 25 players had TPA's and one player alone had 10 (assume it was Lockyer). He basically said there with the correct use of TPA's there was no salary cap.

The current Bronco side is not anywhere near the same level as their previous sides talent wise but the use/abuse of TPA's by the Broncos has been rampant for many years and the NRL has turned a blind eye.

The NRL need to decide if they really want a fair salary cap system and if they do they need to heavily tighten the use of TPA's by many clubs.

Mattc

Juniors
I agree that TPAs have become a big problem.
Currently, the NRL pays the clubs their grant, and then the players are paid.
I would cut out out the middle man.
I think:
The NRL should pay the players the contracted amount.
Any TPA is paid to the NRL, who then forward it to the player.
This way, what a player is paid , and who is paying it , is completely transparent.
The NRL can keep track of the salaries.
The players know that they should only accept payment from one source. Simple!
If they accept anything else, they are complicit in the breach and face bans themselves.
It takes away the " I didn't know" excuse we have had in the past and makes all parties accountable for their actions.

POPEYE

Coach
We'll have Tedesco back then thanks

I once had a Triumph Stag, great car to look at, a little gutless but sounded fabulous. Engine was a piece of shit, every time I fixed one thing something else would f**k up. Be thankful someone has taken Tedesco of your hands, you'll be able to afford someone or two reliable replacements

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given we've been using Datsun 120Y's running on 2 cylinders, we'll take the Triumph Stag thank you

Ghoulies

Bench
Eep. Doesn't sound good at all.

If we're legitimately 500k over the cap with this squad then this is some Warriors circa 2004-05 level incompetence from all involved at the club.

POPEYE

Coach
It's amazing that the lesson taught by Melbourne has not been heeded, the many bank robbers who have never been caught and never will must be pissing themselves laughing

POPEYE

Coach
Given we've been using Datsun 120Y's running on 2 cylinders, we'll take the Triumph Stag thank you

Must admit the Stag looked great in the garage, everyone was jealous when I pushed it out for a polish. There are far better prospects for the Tigers to poach with the money saved on Teddy, although somehow I think Potter would rather nurture a cheapie

How appropriate is the nickname 'Teddy'

El Diablo

Post Whore
not that i'm aware of although they were tipped off about Storm who didn't fess up

it was journos at the SMH that caught the Dogs

legend

Coach
it doesn't have anything to do with milford, its for players not paid 3rd party deals over the past 3 years, which if guaranteed could allow those players to leave. The only way i see it effecting milford is if the broncos are forced to pay the 500k and that puts them over the cap for next year and as a result are forced to shop players around, possibly including milford, but they can't just renege on him, he would have to consent to it. But that's a lot of assumptions.

Depending on the seriousness of the breach, the NRL could refuse to register his contract with the Broncos, which is possible and it should have happened when Andrew Ryan signed with the Bulldogs.

McNulty

Juniors
not that i'm aware of although they were tipped off about Storm who didn't fess up

it was journos at the SMH that caught the Dogs

Journos had nothing to do with catching the Dogs. It was a builder who did not get the Oasis contract that blew the whistle.

Hutty1986

Immortal
If Brisbane players are paid 500k more than everyone else to play good, they should play good every week

Latest posts