What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane II v The CC

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know your being sarcastic but it hardly has any relevance to the argument. Sydney has 1o teams, Q'land has 3, if Brisbane2 offer more than the Bears (arguably and will be decided at time of bid application) it makes sense that in an argument between another NSW team and another Q'land team, all things being equal, Q'land wins every time.

Knightmare

Coach
If you scroll back through this site to 2005, you will find myself (including others) using pretty much the same argument against people claiming the Gold Coast should be admitted because "There aren't enough Qld teams!" I made the argument that the Gold Coast was the wrong area to establish a team (transient population who already have firm loyalties to other teams) and that the bid was smoke and mirrors.

7 years down the track and surprise surprise, the Titans are up shit creek financially. I don't see them on Channel 9 every weekend either- weren't they meant to boost Qld TV content? Yet it seems people haven't learned from the last time, and think having another team in Qld is the most important thing, irrespective of whereabouts in Qld or what the bid is like...

clarency

Juniors
I think we all know why Titans are messed up financially, and it is hardly something anyone would have predicted.

The tv exposure (or lack of) of the titans is something the NRL administration failed to capitalise on and is hardly the Titan's fault. Considering that the ARLC will have a bigger hand in who is going to be on prime tv slots in the future will see that changed. We might not be seeing the various QLD teams on tv now, but in the future we will, making the Titans venture worth it.

Not to mention getting there before the AFL and the A-League.

bobmar28

Bench
If you scroll back through this site to 2005, you will find myself (including others) using pretty much the same argument against people claiming the Gold Coast should be admitted because "There aren't enough Qld teams!" I made the argument that the Gold Coast was the wrong area to establish a team (transient population who already have firm loyalties to other teams) and that the bid was smoke and mirrors.

7 years down the track and surprise surprise, the Titans are up shit creek financially. I don't see them on Channel 9 every weekend either- weren't they meant to boost Qld TV content? Yet it seems people haven't learned from the last time, and think having another team in Qld is the most important thing, irrespective of whereabouts in Qld or what the bid is like...

The Sharks have financial problems too. And I'm sure the Suns aren't a financial windfall for the AFL but that is beside the point.

I have been told that QLD is the heartland of rugby league. If that is true, how will adding another team to the crowded NSW market be a good thing? The next 2 teams must be in WA and QLD.

age.s

First Grade
I think we all know why Titans are messed up financially, and it is hardly something anyone would have predicted.

The tv exposure (or lack of) of the titans is something the NRL administration failed to capitalise on and is hardly the Titan's fault. Considering that the ARLC will have a bigger hand in who is going to be on prime tv slots in the future will see that changed. We might not be seeing the various QLD teams on tv now, but in the future we will, making the Titans venture worth it.

Not to mention getting there before the AFL and the A-League.

It's not the Titans fault they're second to the Broncos in the region, but it does show the dangers of making long term decisions at the whims of the networks. When they say they want more Qld content they really mean that they want another Broncos. They won't get that, if they get a Titans they'll be very lucky, and they already ignore the Titans.

Besides, f**k them. Our game has been held back by TV interests for too long. If the ARLC decides that means another team in SEQ then fair enough, but the argument that (and I'm aware you specifically weren't making it) we should expand there because that's what the networks want is extraordinary considering our (not so ancient) history.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Totally agree age. The new TV deal should offer enough money to fund expansion comfortably, we are talking about the ARLC doubling its income. This is the ideal time for them to do what's best for the game bit just what's best for TV.

Knightmare

Coach
The Sharks have financial problems too. And I'm sure the Suns aren't a financial windfall for the AFL but that is beside the point.

I have been told that QLD is the heartland of rugby league. If that is true, how will adding another team to the crowded NSW market be a good thing? The next 2 teams must be in WA and QLD.

So you have been told Qld is the heartland of Rugby League? I mean, I have been told that a Nigerian prince wants to deposit $30 million into my account if I give him my bank details but I don't go ahead and believe it.

You seem way too concerned with the numbers/ dots on a map argument. There is no rule to how many teams are allowed to be in NSW. New teams should be decided on which area will support a new team the best, coupled with the legitimacy of the bid. On both those grounds, the Bears are leading the pack, followed by the Pirates. It's somewhat of a concern when people's best reasons for wanting to admit one of these hastily concocted Qld bids is bending over for 9 (as we have done for the last 20 years) or the dots on a map argument.

age.s

First Grade
Don't mind bob.

somethingwassaid.png

gyallop

Juniors
Knightmare I am a blue but I think 7 Origin series in a row is fairly emphatic statement!

I dont think anyone is suggesting that the CC ( and they need to jettison the bears) isnt worthy of thought but their bid unfortunately for them is hamstrung by there already being too many Sydney teams.

Sydney clubs just arent developing enough talent, there are many reasons for this and syphon the bush the pacific islands and Qld. Qld produces over 50% of the NYC players and has 3 clubs , think about that ( ignoring the TV audience debate). For CC to get in a Sydney club has to relocate or fold.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Knightmare I am a blue but I think 7 Origin series in a row is fairly emphatic statement!

I dont think anyone is suggesting that the CC ( and they need to jettison the bears) isnt worthy of thought but their bid unfortunately for them is hamstrung by there already being too many Sydney teams.

Sydney clubs just arent developing enough talent, there are many reasons for this and syphon the bush the pacific islands and Qld. Qld produces over 50% of the NYC players and has 3 clubs , think about that ( ignoring the TV audience debate). For CC to get in a Sydney club has to relocate or fold.

Where do you get that figure from? Considering the amount of kids that are getting pulled out of NZ you're putting NYC players of NSW origin right down the pecking order.

For what it's worth I'd be arguing a NZ 2 side ahead of Central Coast, but that's for a different thread I'd say.

Quidgybo

Bench
For what it's worth I'd be arguing a NZ 2 side ahead of Central Coast, but that's for a different thread I'd say.
When we first started looking toward the next expansion four or five years ago I originally thought the best expansion for the game would be Perth and a second New Zealand side. I thought another New Zealand side would significantly increase television, sponsorship and merchandising revenue from that market, as well as having a big effect on the quality and competitiveness of the Kiwi side and thus international football in general. I still do think this. But the bid has simply not materialised on this occassion.

With the networks likely to throw big money at us to continue building out the Queensland market, it makes sense to me that we'll go with one of those bids to complement Perth. I fully expect that come the next expansion a second New Zealand side and a last or second last Queensland side will be right in the running. That's assuming an existing side doesn't make the jump in the meantime. I could see how the New Zealand market could look a lot more attractive and secure than risking it in a non Rugby League literate market like Adelaide.

Leigh.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think if the value of Brisbane2 is as much as some claim then the ARLC will choose it just for the fact they will want to include perth to grow the game and add national credibility (NRL is the only profesional sport in the country without a Perth based team) but there is some financial investment needed to grow the game in WA and they are forking out $4.5mill a year to the melb Storm. if Brisbane2 does bring in $20mill ayear more than any other bid then they are basically paying for the three teams at no cost to other clubs which is what the other 16 clubs will be looking for.

Knightmare

Coach

What does Origin have to do with deciding where to admit NRL teams though?

The Central Coast would be a Sydney team the same way Gold Coast would be a Brisbane team....

Quidgybo

Bench
What does Origin have to do with deciding where to admit NRL teams though?
Ensuring Origin remained competitive long term, by increasing the pool of players eligible for Queensland selection to closer to the size of the NSW pool, was explicitly cited as one of the reasons the Titans were chosen over the Bears at the last expansion. The same argument is also used as justification for a second New Zealand side - to increase the pool of Kiwi eligible players and thereby improve the value and interest in international football by providing the Kangaroos with a more consistently competitive opponent.

Leigh.

Last edited:

papabear

Juniors
For the record the NRL is the NSWRL expanded.

QLD is not the home of rugby league never has been never will be.

Goddo

Bench
For the record the NRL is the NSWRL expanded.

QLD is not the home of rugby league never has been never will be.
Maybe in 1988. But ever since then the NSWRL/ARL/NRL has been trying to become a national league.

Why do you think the NSWRL wrote up a paper aiming at a 14 team national "Super League" in 1992?
Why did they set up the NSWRL as a second division state league?

The reality for the game is:

1. NSW has 7.5M people and 10 NRL teams.
2. Qld has 4.5M people and has 3 NRL teams. It will be bigger than Victoria within 20 years.
3. Both are equally important NRL markets.

4. NZ is 4.4M people and 1 NRL team. Its the 3rd biggest RL market in the Southern Hemisphere.
5. Melbourne has the 2nd biggest TV market and 2nd biggest sponsor market.
6. Perth has a unique TV timeslot, and the 4th biggest TV market - any WA growth is a bonus.

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
Ensuring Origin remained competitive long term, by increasing the pool of players eligible for Queensland selection to closer to the size of the NSW pool, was explicitly cited as one of the reasons the Titans were chosen over the Bears at the last expansion. The same argument is also used as justification for a second New Zealand side - to increase the pool of Kiwi eligible players and thereby improve the value and interest in international football by providing the Kangaroos with a more consistently competitive opponent.

Leigh.

That's interesting. Turning Origin into a tri-series featuring NZ as well would be a better idea...