What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane II v The CC

Knightmare

Coach
Regarded by whom as superior bids to the Bears, though?

9 execs? No surprise.

People who actually know a thing or two about operating an NRL team and keeping it financially afloat?.................C'mon, anybody?

Show me even 10 people who will (or claim they will) support either the Bombers or WC when they enter the competition and I might begin to see some credibility. Otherwise we should maybe be more concerned with the Titans before we bring in another SEQ team to make life even tougher for them.

There has been no expansion team in NSW since 1988. In that time period, Qld has had 3 expansion sides...

age.s

First Grade
All good news for League fans in that article. First and foremost I think we all just want the game to do well, and it looks like the new TV deal is going to be a game changer.

The paper did speculate that Bris/CQ/WA were front runners, but I found it interesting that the risk of having two struggling clubs was noted in the article. The riskiest option by far is a Bris2/CQ+WA combo. The demonstrated support for the Bears means they're a less risky option, even if the potential payoff isn't as high as a second QLD team.

I've always felt that the impact of the Bears on Sydney clubs was a concern they could offer incentives for a Sydney club to move to another location. (either Perth or SEQ) A regional club with outer city links has worked extremely well for the Dragons, with the Bears you could probably have very strong club which is great for the game. Put 20m away for any Sydney club to move to Perth (or Brisbane/CQ), and if a club chooses to take the money so be it. The game gets to keep its iconic brands, it gets its strong team on the CC, it gets its team in Perth and SEQ and no club gets moved against its will.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Well I am glad Perth Red has called me a soft c*&k, wonder if he has ever served his country on active service. No wonder several people on this forum are getting annoyed with his rantings.

CC Bears, and the QLD bids offer more to the game than WA. But WA will have its quality juniors to rely on won't they and the East Coast can watch them live at 9.30pm (great can't wait) !

The NSW and QLD juniors to support WA and Melbourne for at least one to two decades. Wonder if the current NRL clubs will be satisfied propping up two clubs instead of one.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
I understand that but for mine, it's a Rugby League stronghold that should have it's own team.

Being in the OZTAM Sydney area doesn't make it Sydney. People on the Central Coast certainly don't consider themselves Sydney people, just as they don't consider themselves Newcastle people.

This pretty much describes Wollongong and they had to settle for a JV. To their credit they have embraced the Dragons as their own and flourished.

Pity the people of the CC couldnt do the same with the Nth Eagles but given the historical anamosity between the Bears and the Sea Eagles Im really not surprised it failed.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
This pretty much describes Wollongong and they had to settle for a JV. To their credit they have embraced the Dragons as their own and flourished.

Pity the people of the CC couldnt do the same with the Nth Eagles but given the historical anamosity between the Bears and the Sea Eagles Im really not surprised it failed.

Wouldn't the CC Bears be a better comparison to the Illasox?

They're pretty much an exact mirror of each other; North vs South, black vs white, both are large satellite city with a connection to a proud club, famous jerseys, everyone's favourite loser vs the biggest merkins in the league, etc.

age.s

First Grade

The rivalry with Manly is a part of the bid that doesn't get talked up much for obvious reasons, but it's a strength all the same. I don't think there would be a matchup in the league that would come close to it in terms of sheer hatred. Lets face it, that's the kind of stuff that makes the game truly great.

docbrown

Coach
The rivalry with Manly is a part of the bid that doesn't get talked up much for obvious reasons, but it's a strength all the same. I don't think there would be a matchup in the league that would come close to it in terms of sheer hatred. Lets face it, that's the kind of stuff that makes the game truly great.

There will be a hate triangle between Manly-Newcastle-Central Coast. :cool:

WayneBennett

Juniors
Id admit 3 sides, CC, Bne 2 and Perth.

Reckon the talent pool might cover it, sure youd get your blowout scores initially but there are alot of good juniors coming through.

All each team needs is a decent spine and a one Top prop, build from there.

Also more opportunities for more Juniors, more players get to stay a bit longer and not go to union or gayyfl.

Also takes care of all markets and disaffected fans

Perth Red

Post Whore
''The AFL has nine games a week to league's eight,
That has created the possible scenario of one team being introduced in 2015, with a weekly bye that season, and another team the following year

Shakes his head in dismay a the NRL's lack of vision in 2011 when they should have announced the two expansion sides for 2013.

bobmar28

Bench
Regarded by whom as superior bids to the Bears, though?

9 execs? No surprise.

People who actually know a thing or two about operating an NRL team and keeping it financially afloat?.................C'mon, anybody?

Show me even 10 people who will (or claim they will) support either the Bombers or WC when they enter the competition and I might begin to see some credibility. Otherwise we should maybe be more concerned with the Titans before we bring in another SEQ team to make life even tougher for them.

There has been no expansion team in NSW since 1988. In that time period, Qld has had 3 expansion sides...

Sydney already has 9 teams to QLD's 3.

Goddo

Bench
Shakes his head in dismay a the NRL's lack of vision in 2011 when they should have announced the two expansion sides for 2013.
You have a short memory.

There was no way the game was in the position to make a call on expansion while getting the commission sorted in 2011.

Expansion was always going to be tied to TV rights negotiations, and they were never going to happen until the commission was in place.

Expansion in 2013 was promoted by the Central Coast Bears and Perth Reds more than anyone because it was the start of a new media deal and they stood to benefit most if expansion was decided quickly, but not by the NRL - Gallop never committed to expansion then, he always said vaguely "at some point after that".

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Id admit 3 sides, CC, Bne 2 and Perth.

Reckon the talent pool might cover it, sure youd get your blowout scores initially but there are alot of good juniors coming through.

All each team needs is a decent spine and a one Top prop, build from there.

Also more opportunities for more Juniors, more players get to stay a bit longer and not go to union or gayyfl.

Also takes care of all markets and disaffected fans

That my line of thinking. Even if they're staged over a number of years.

If a team is well advanced, they may be able to pull together a team & management structure between the 18 months from September 2012 and February 2014.

If that's the case then perhaps -

2014 - Team#1
2015 - Team#2 (9th game)
2016 - Team#3
2017 or 2018 - potentially Team#4 (10th game - in time for the next broadcast deal)

In my opinion those clubs would include a South West Brisbane (South Queensland) side, Perth & Central Coast.

By the time time the 20th team comes in, I suspect the bids would include New Zealand II, Central Queensland, PNG, Adelaide & Sunshine Coast.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You have a short memory.

There was no way the game was in the position to make a call on expansion while getting the commission sorted in 2011.

Expansion was always going to be tied to TV rights negotiations, and they were never going to happen until the commission was in place.

Expansion in 2013 was promoted by the Central Coast Bears and Perth Reds more than anyone because it was the start of a new media deal and they stood to benefit most if expansion was decided quickly, but not by the NRL - Gallop never committed to expansion then, he always said vaguely "at some point after that".

My memories fine, they had an opportunity in 2011 to announce expansion and get max revenue from the next TV deal, they took the safe option and it could end up costing the game $100mill.

Goddo

Bench
My memories fine, they had an opportunity in 2011 to announce expansion and get max revenue from the next TV deal, they took the safe option and it could end up costing the game $100mill.
You sure do like to whinge like a POM, and take the most pesemistic angle on everything.

Perth Red

Post Whore
reality is not pessimism. Do you not think a 9th game is of any value? Heck Ch9 have already said it is worth at least $100mill and that was just for a 2nd Brisbane team never mind the 9th game TV slot. The game loses money every year there isn't that 9th game. That isn't pessimism it is reality and now there's a suggestion they might stagger it so we don't even get that 9th game until 2016!

I guess I should be happy about that?

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
reality is not pessimism. Do you not think a 9th game is of any value? Heck Ch9 have already said it is worth at least $100mill and that was just for a 2nd Brisbane team never mind the 9th game TV slot. The game loses money every year there isn't that 9th game. That isn't pessimism it is reality and now there's a suggestion they might stagger it so we don't even get that 9th game until 2016!

I guess I should be happy about that?

What Nine says publically and what Nine puts up in the negotiations may be two very different things though.

Nine will want a second Brisbane team for free, of course... it's up to the ARLC negotiators to get them to open their wallets.

Knightmare

Coach
Well surely the fact that Qld has THREE teams and those states/ planets combined have NONE is a big enough reason. I mean f**k local area demographic or fan support, all that matters is that we can boast amount how many teams we have in each state. Victoria still has 10 AFL teams' to the one NRL side we have down there- wake up NRL!