What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

"Whether it’s the Brisbane Tigers for the 18th franchise, or the Pasifika model with more home grounds than the Wests Tigers, a second Kiwi team, a third Brisbane team or a pointless new Melbourne team..."
fans-celebrate.gif

Vee

First Grade
Wrong thread i know but these Pasifika players won't be coming from the Pacific.

They'll be coming from Minto, Blacktown, Ipswich, etc. And they won't all be Pacific Islanders. Or Papuans.

So going on an island hop with players who aren't from those Islands and basing them in Cairns when they aren't from Cairns is lunacy.

Or if they are coming from the Pasifika they are going to be flogged every week because they are nowhere nearNRL standard.

And I won't get started on the madness of relocating a player from Fiji to Cairns and then putting them on a plane every week to a different island and culture which is not their own.

The concept is flawed with a capital F.
We're diametrically opposed on a lot of things but 100% agreement on this.

Vee

First Grade
Interested to see Shane Edwards, CEO of the Broncos after Ribot left for Super League, involved in this bid. You'd think he'd know a bit about running a successful RL club.

It says the Firehawks name is unlikely to be revisited.

That's a shit wording, but I assume it's no longer proposed.

Didn't the Queensland Firebirds kick up a stink about it?

The Cowboys survived because they represent the entire NQ region, and draw supporters, sponsors and players from this region, not just Townsville. (MT Isa in the West, Cairns in the north and Mackay to the south)

They are far from a "powerhouse" having needed to be bailed out once by News Ltd and another time by their local Council and with an all time winning percentage around 40% and 3 spoons since 95.

Cairns is not capable of supporting an NRL club on its own, and certainly isn't ahead of major metropolitian areas. The QLD govt isn't going to fork out $350M+ for a stadium when there is one in Townsville.

Once again, there is NO Pasifika bid, there is no Cairns bid so not sure where all this bullshit is coming from.

The Cowboys' first decade was a struggle, but they're now the second most profitable rugby league club in the world. Only the Brisbane Broncos generate more revenue from football operations than the Cowboys.

Last edited:
This might seem extreme to judge on one crowd but to me the fact Dolphins vs Titans so two Queensland teams only drew 22k is a definite sign we shouldn’t have another QLD team.

Before the Dolphins Queenslanders always said “we would have 30,000 plus if there was a game at Suncorp every week.” Dolphins have been successful, I’m not debating that but another QLD team over a new area seems very shortsighted. It’s the NRL we are talking about so they will probably be the next new team.

There's been games between two Sydney clubs that drew less than 9k...

Canard

Immortal
Didn't the Queensland Firebirds kick up a stink about it?

The Cowboys' first decade was a struggle, but they're now the second most profitable rugby league club in the world. Only the Brisbane Broncos generate more revenue from football operations than the Cowboys.
It's yet to be demonstrated that they can consistently be profitable, its not like they have been raking in cash, hand over fist for 10 years +.

It's yet to be demonstrated that they can consistently be profitable, its not like they have been raking in cash, hand over fist for 10 years +.

I've got annual reports from the Cowboys dating back to 2015. They announced a profit in every report. That's eight years of profit.

The club has been a basket case on the field for four of the last five seasons, yet their revenue from football operations continues has grown considerably. Not many sports clubs can manage this feat.

Cowboys are now the the second most profitable rugby league club in the world.

The Cowboys made more money from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than every club bar the Broncos and one other side in the late 1990s. It's what guaranteed the club a spot in the 14 team competiton for 2000.

Canard

Immortal
I've got annual reports from the Cowboys dating back to 2015. They announced a profit in every report. That's eight years of profit.

The club has been a basket case on the field for four of the last five seasons, yet their revenue from football operations continues has grown considerably. Not many sports clubs can manage this feat.

Cowboys are now the the second most profitable rugby league club in the world.

The Cowboys made more money from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than every club bar the Broncos and one other side in the late 1990s. It's what guaranteed the club a spot in the 14 team competiton for 2000.
The club was most certainly not "profitable" in the 90s.

What secured them a spot was good crowds (which have shrunk by about 20% since) and News Ltd backing.

The club was most certainly not "profitable" in the 90s.

I never said the Cowboys were "'profitable' in the 90s", did I?

What secured them a spot was good crowds (which have shrunk by about 20% since) and News Ltd backing.

Brad Walter from NRL.COM does not agree with you:

Admission criteria

All clubs had to meet a Basic Criteria based on playing facilities, administration, solvency and development.

To determine which teams survived, clubs were ranked for the 1995, 1996, 1998 and 1999 seasons on:

• Home crowds (1. Broncos, 2. Knights, 3. Eels);
  • Away crowds (1. Broncos, 2. Eels. 3. Roosters);
  • Competition points (1. Storm, 2. Broncos, 3. Bulldogs);
  • Gate receipts (1. Broncos, 2. Storm, 3. Knights);
  • Profitability (1. Bulldogs, 2. Panthers, 3. Sharks), and;
  • Sponsorship (1. Knights, 2. Broncos, 3. Cowboys).

Clubs were also required to have a minimum revenue of $8 million per season, including gate receipts of $1.25m and net sponsorship of $2.5m.

While the three Sydney clubs who had aligned with Super League – Canterbury, Penrith and Cronulla – were considered the most profitable, every non-Sydney club produced larger gate receipts than their Sydney rivals.

The final rankings were:

1 Brisbane, 2 Newcastle, 3 Melbourne, 4 Canterbury, 5 Cronulla, 6 Sydney Roosters, 7 Parramatta, 8 North Queensland, 9 Warriors, 10 Canberra, 11 Manly, 12 Penrith, 13 Balmain, 14 North Sydney 15 Western Suburbs, 16 South Sydney.

St George Illawarra were not included as they had merged at the end of the 1998 season – meaning Norths, Wests and Souths were excluded from the 2000 premiership.

Last edited:

Latest posts