What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

Wb1234

Referee
It'd be very exciting to think that the NRL has serious plans about getting to 22 clubs by 2032. I have my serious doubts that's the case, but nice to dream!
They said 20 teams where did you get 22 teams

unfortunately nz2 probably misses out

Perth Red

Post Whore
They said 20 teams where did you get 22 teams

unfortunately nz2 probably misses out
been over that, I meant 20.

IF, and its a very big IF, there is a serious plan to get to 20 clubs within the next decade then, depending on PNG, you'd think it will be Perth, Brisbane3 and NZ2. But there's a lot of very big IF's in all that.

Wb1234

Referee
been over that, I meant 20.

IF, and its a very big IF, there is a serious plan to get to 20 clubs within the next decade then, depending on PNG, you'd think it will be Perth, Brisbane3 and NZ2. But there's a lot of very big IF's in all that.
He said under a decade

hence his comment about turbo charged

which you made fun of

the very turbo charging which brings a Perth nrl team in faster

Perth Red

Post Whore
He said under a decade

hence his comment about turbo charged

which you made fun of

the very turbo charging which brings a Perth nrl team in faster
Did he? Can you provide me a link or the quote where Vlandys says the NRL is 'turbo charging' a 20 team comp in under 10 years please.

Wb1234

Referee
Did he? Can you provide me a link or the quote where Vlandys says the NRL is 'turbo charging' a 20 team comp in under 10 years please.
It’s the same article you didn’t read last time

20 teams by the Brisbane Olympics

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s the same article you didn’t read last time

20 teams by the Brisbane Olympics
Nope it doesnt. Nowhere in the article does Vlandys make any comment on 20 teams. The journo makes a comment about them being 'open to it'.
Im open to be a being a billionaire, maybe I could turbo charge that?

'The ARLC chairman stressed other regions such as Perth and Queensland have not been dismissed, with the NRL open to expanding to a 20-team competition by the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.'

Wb1234

Referee
Nope it doesnt. Nowhere in the article does Vlandys make any comment on 20 teams. The journo makes a comment about them being 'open to it'.
Im open to be a being a billionaire, maybe I could turbo charge that?

'The ARLC chairman stressed other regions such as Perth and Queensland have not been dismissed, with the NRL open to expanding to a 20-team competition by the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.'
So what does that quote mean to you
Hahhaha

Pneuma

First Grade
Can you understand why it's unreasonable and borderline insane to ask passionate BRL fans to "suck it up" and accept second-class status to Sydney?

For over 100 years the NSWRL clubs were privileged with all sorts of advantages over their BRL rivals. It began in 1908 when the NSWRU's best players jumped ship to the NSWRL. The QRU retained its talent pool. The QRL had to start from scratch. Queensland didn't become competitive in the interstate matches until the QRU died after WWI.

The legalisation of pokies in licenced venues by the NSW Gov in 1956 gave the Sydney clubs a huge financial advantage over their BRL rivals. Pokies were prohibited in Queensland until 1991. Not only did the legalisation of pokies in NSW lead to the BRL going bust, but for over 20 years Queensland lost its best players to the NSWRL. This denied Queensland a fair chance of competing under the old interstate residency rules.

You cannot expect Queenslanders from Brisbane to forget about all of this and let their clubs sink into irrelevancy just because you want the game to expand into new markets. It's as silly as expecting Sydney clubs to give up their place in the NRL for the sake of expansion.

The last thing the game can afford is to take Brisbane Rugby League fans' love of the game for granted. Treat us like second-class citizens and we will revolt. It's like a major political party pissing on its core voting base to appease people who will be highly unlikely to vote for them, then wondering why they've lost long-term voters to minor parties.

AFL is waiting in the wings to pick up disgruntled rugby league fans in SEQ. They've now got a huge war chest to fund it from 2025. Denying entry to the Brisbane Tigers for the sake of expanding into markets -- who quite frankly don't give a f**k about the game -- is a great way of provoking BRL fans into giving up the game for good. Queenslanders are parochial and don't take kindly to being treated like second-class citizens. Especially when the decision would be coming from head office in Sydney. Look at how cranky the Western Australians got when the Gabba was chosen over Perth Stadium to host the 2020 AFL GF.

TL;DR: Trying to shame passionate BRL fans into accepting second-class status will cause more harm than good.
Potato

Perth Red

Post Whore
So what does that quote mean to you
Hahhaha
It means that they are open to the idea.
Not that they have plan a strategy or a dedicated goal to make it more than just an idea at this time.
It’s more a single su carburettor than a turbo at this time lol

Llangennech

Juniors
End the Wests Tigers, have the Brisbane Tigers in the NRL instead. Also have the Sea Eagles and Sharks just in the NSW Cup and NRLW. Bring in the Jets, we're back to a 16 team NRL then, which is the right size for now. Also call the Panthers the Western Sydney Panthers, to play 2 matches at Campbelltown and to have the nickname Wests too, so one of their training tops and hoodies can have WESTS on the front.

Brian potter

Bench
End the Wests Tigers, have the Brisbane Tigers in the NRL instead. Also have the Sea Eagles and Sharks just in the NSW Cup and NRLW. Bring in the Jets, we're back to a 16 team NRL then, which is the right size for now. Also call the Panthers the Western Sydney Panthers, to play 2 matches at Campbelltown and to have the nickname Wests too, so one of their training tops and hoodies can have WESTS on the front.
Tigers to Brisbane.

magpies to Campbelltown as western Sydney until a modern 21st century stadium is built in Liverpool.

dragons permanently based in Wollongong.

sea eagles relocated to the central coast.

sharks either relocated to Perth or booted out of comp making way for Perth .

NZ2 and north Sydney bears as 19th&20th teams.

mongoose

Coach
you think Wests Tigers fans will just start going for the Panthers because they renamed to "Wests"? sure bud

MugaB

Coach
How bout stick to counting with your potato friend...
Eiyy me potatos are sproutin'
No one is going anywhere, and the title of this thread is related to making an 18th team, not rationalization, Penrith won't be merging or calling themselves after the highest wooden spooners in the league

Llangennech

Juniors
you think Wests Tigers fans will just start going for the Panthers because they renamed to "Wests"? sure bud
They'd still be the Panthers mainly playing in Penrith. There's no Penrith on the jersey anymore. Saw a t-shirt in the GF with Western Sydney Panthers written on it.

siv

First Grade

MugaB

Coach
They'd still be the Panthers mainly playing in Penrith. There's no Penrith on the jersey anymore. Saw a t-shirt in the GF with Western Sydney Panthers written on it.
Most jerseys wont have the name of the area they are from, dolphins and souths are a perfect example,
The logos are prominent, if the club doesn't have there area written into the logo, then it wont show on the jersey... oh and potato

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What are your thoughts on the Brisbane Tigers' bid?

I think the 18th licence will be a battle between Perth and the Brisbane Tigers. Whichever bid gets the licence will help grow the game. NZ2 will get a team at some stage. PNG/Cairns has no chance.
If we are talking financial power, then the Tigers are the bid to go with. The only thing that concerns me, is that it's the Western Corridor that needs covering, not inner Brisbane. Can the Tigers rebrand in a way that can connect with the South-West, with Ipswich and with Toowoomba? I don't know, but I think they'll have to angle their bid in that direction.

What do you reckon?

The Great Dane

First Grade
If we are talking financial power, then the Tigers are the bid to go with. The only thing that concerns me, is that it's the Western Corridor that needs covering, not inner Brisbane. Can the Tigers rebrand in a way that can connect with the South-West, with Ipswich and with Toowoomba? I don't know, but I think they'll have to angle their bid in that direction.

What do you reckon?
I reckon you're both a pair of hypocrites who'd be screaming bloody murder if this discussion was about teams in Sydney instead of Brisbane.

It's ok when we do it basically sums up Qld RL at the moment.