What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

blah blah blah.... seriously? you are holding grudges for things in the past you probably weren't even alive for. If you don't like the NRL then don't follow it or comment on it. There are not hordes of disgruntled League fans across Brisbane, you are in the minority.

The majority of RL fans across Brisbane aren't calling out for teams in Adelaide, Perth, NZ or PNG. I'm yet to find anyone from SEQ who thinks the way you do.

You are the one in the minority here. You're not even a Queenslander and didn't move to Brisbane until you were 16, yet you think you know it all.

Tell me again how you think there's a massive conspiracy at Ch9 to keep teams out of Adelaide and Perth because you think they're worried about Origin ratings?

Tell me again how a BRL club would never get chosen to be the second Brisbane NRL team?

Tell me again how Brisbane 3 had no chance of being the next team?

All of your predictions have turned out to be wrong and crazy. Just give it a rest. You're boring.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Adelaide doesn't have much and unlikely to ever be invested in enough by NRL to be ready to bid alone, which is why a NS owned license in Adelaide might work, though I still reckon they will eventually do everything in their power to get the club back to NSW one day.
f**k off with this BS gatekeeping.

You are never going to see significant growth in the grassroots of South Australia without a pro-team with lots of exposure to push interest, so all you're doing is creating a catch 22 where they need an NRL team to be 'ready' for an NRL team. All an expansion club needs are reliable owners and a strong business plan, the rest is just horseshit used by arseholes to try and undermine real growth.

Imagine if the FA had said you have to have a strong soccer culture before we'll support you to grow the sport in your area. Soccer never would have expanded beyond it's little enclave in England, just like RL has almost completely failed to grow beyond it's little enclaves for the last 100 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The majority of RL fans across Brisbane aren't calling out for teams in Adelaide, Perth, NZ or PNG. I'm yet to find anyone from SEQ who thinks the way you do.

You are the one in the minority here. You're not even a Queenslander and didn't move to Brisbane until you were 16, yet you think you know it all.

Tell me again how you think there's a massive conspiracy at Ch9 to keep teams out of Adelaide and Perth because you think they're worried about Origin ratings?

Tell me again how a BRL club would never get chosen to be the second Brisbane NRL team?

All of your predictions have turned out to be wrong and crazy. Just give it a rest. You're boring.
Perth has come out on top of most fans polls on where expansion should be next. I'm guessing some of those live in Brisbane?

Perth Red

Post Whore
We got dolphins despite years of these articles from broncos in newsltd papers lol.

Broncos added 10k members already this yr despite dolphins adding 20k.
Did we? Care to link any of them? Cant remember Broncos saying no dolphins.

Perth Red

Post Whore
f**k off with this BS gatekeeping.

You are never going to see significant growth in the grassroots of South Australia without a pro-team with lots of exposure to push interest, so all you're doing is creating a catch 22 where they need an NRL team to be 'ready' for an NRL team. All an expansion club needs are reliable owners and a strong business plan, the rest is just horseshit used by arseholes to try and undermine real growth.

Imagine if the FA had said you have to have a strong soccer culture before we'll support you to grow the sport in your area. Soccer never would have expanded beyond it's little enclave in England, just like RL has almost completely failed to grow beyond it's little enclaves for the last 100 years.
I'm not saying its a good thing, just that its a real thing. I've seen no sign of the ARLC being interested in growing the game in any AFL state with any real serious investment or strategy.
Without Cumins, alrge ex pat RL community and a supportive Govt we would not be in with any chance of a club in Perth. The ARLC has lost 6k registered players in WA since the early 90's. They are happy to do nothing.
And if you think its bad in Perth then Adelaide is a number of rungs lower down the ladder.

mongoose

Coach

clutching at straws....

I didn't make any of those predictions lol - channel 9 conspiracy, huh?

Perth has come out on top of most fans polls on where expansion should be next. I'm guessing some of those live in Brisbane?

I can see Broncos fans voting for Perth.

I honestly think the 18th licence is between Brisbane and Perth. If the WA Gov put a good deal on the table then they'll possibly be favourites.

I'm happy no matter who gets it. The game's expanding.

clutching at straws....

I didn't make any of those predictions lol - channel 9 conspiracy, huh?

You've said a few times that you believe Ch9 don't want to expand into Adelaide and Perth because it will lower the value of Origin.

It's the craziest theory I've seen.

Here's your actual comment:

I have a conspiracy theory though that the NRL and its broadcast partners (which are one and the same thing really) don't want to invest in junior pathways outside of QLD/NSW as it will diminish State of Origin in the long run.

After a bit of digging, it turns out you think the ARU and ARLC are involved in a conspiracy to keep rugby league league out of Perth!

I have a theory which might be a bit tin foil hat but I reckon the NRL (news) has or had a secret agreement with ARU to stay out of WA to give the Force and Australian Rugby "space".

Apparently Greenberg and Beattie were in on it, too!

it makes me wonder if there is some wider conspiracy to restrict RL to its heartland. Greenberg and Beattie just following orders from someone behind the scenes.

You did say Brisbane wouldn't get the 18th team.

Maybe Perth and Adelaide teams will fail but there is no way they will put another 2 or 3 teams in Brisbane in the foreseeable future. You're dreaming if you think the Broncos and News will allow a 3rd Brisbane team so an 18th team will most likely be Perth, Adelaide or NZ.

In another post you said it would be 30 years before the ARLC "entertain that idea" of adding a third team in Brisbane.

So when the 2nd Brisbane team finally gets introduced do you think that they, the Broncos and Titans are going to be welcoming to a 3rd Brisbane club anytime soon? It will be another 30 years before they even entertain that idea. Will the NRL even exist in 30 years?

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
yeah and.... what does my crazy conspiracy theories have to do with a 3rd Brisbane team?

how is my prediction that the 18th team won't be from Brisbane wrong? they haven't made a decision yet. The Broncos have just voiced their disapproval, so I was correct about that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see Broncos fans voting for Perth.

I honestly think the 18th licence is between Brisbane and Perth. If the WA Gov put a good deal on the table then they'll possibly be favourites.

I'm happy no matter who gets it. The game's expanding.
That's where we differ, I'm happy if anyone other than NSW or Qlnd gets it. I want to see the game actually grow, not continue to slice the same pie into smaller pieces.

yeah and.... what does my crazy conspiracy theories have to do with a 3rd Brisbane team?

how is my prediction that the 18th team won't be from Brisbane wrong? they haven't made a decision yet. The Broncos have just voiced their disapproval, so I was correct about that.

Andrew Abdo and Peter V'landys said Brisbane 3 is a contender for the 18th licence. That proves you were wrong about Brisbane being no chance of being anything but an idea until 30 years from now.

That's where we differ, I'm happy if anyone other than NSW or Qlnd gets it. I want to see the game actually grow, not continue to slice the same pie into smaller pieces.

The only realistic option other than Brisbane Tigers is a Perth consortium that's backed by the WA Gov.

The ARLC won't be propping up the 18th licence.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The only realistic option other than Brisbane Tigers is a Perth consortium that's backed by the WA Gov.

The ARLC won't be propping up the 18th licence.
Neither you nor I know that for a fact, we don’t know who might put forward a bid and what it would offer until the nrl decide if they will have open bids.

Neither you nor I know that for a fact, we don’t know who might put forward a bid and what it would offer until the nrl decide if they will have open bids.

I cannot see a business consortium from Adelaide stepping up and bidding for a licence. At least not until we have a team in Perth and a third team in Brisbane of second team in New Zealand.

It wouldn't surprise me if WENT ARLC goes with a Brisbane Tigers-Pasifika bid for the 18th licence. Partially funded by the Albanese Gov. That way they can milk it for publicity and revert back to being the Brisbane Tigers once the Gov funding dries up. It'll also provide Lang Park with another 6 or so games a year, which will be great for the Polynesian and Melanesian community in Logan.

Canard

Immortal
I cannot see a business consortium from Adelaide stepping up and bidding for a licence. At least not until we have a team in Perth and a third team in Brisbane of second team in New Zealand.

It wouldn't surprise me if WENT ARLC goes with a Brisbane Tigers-Pasifika bid for the 18th licence. Partially funded by the Albanese Gov. That way they can milk it for publicity and revert back to being the Brisbane Tigers once the Gov funding dries up. It'll also provide Lang Park with another 6 or so games a year, which will be great for the Polynesian and Melanesian community in Logan.
I can't see the Tigers wouldn't agree to being a junior partner in an NRL team.

And I can't see the Feds funding this either.

I can't see the Tigers wouldn't agree to being a junior partner in an NRL team.

And I can't see the Feds funding this either.

You're probably right. The other day the Brisbane Tigers said they're open to partnering with PNG, but they also said the same about the Jets. That fizzled over.

The sest case scenario is Perth for 18, Brisbane Tigers for 19 and NZ2 for 20. It provides expansion and consolidation in an aggressive market.

I honestly cannot see an Adelaide team being on the radar within the next 20 years. Nor can I see the game being able to handle the challenges of expanding into Adelaide and Perth at the same time. We need to invest in one expansion city and throw everything into it for 20 years to make it a success like Melbourne.

Latest posts