What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

greenBV4

Bench
I recommend the NRL do what makes game stronger financially & in terms of juniors. You want dots on map
I don't think you ever answered me when I asked how exactly a 3rd team in Brisbane increases the number of juniors from Brisbane?

Please explain.

Pippen94

First Grade
I don't think you ever answered me when I asked how exactly a 3rd team in Brisbane increases the number of juniors from Brisbane?

Please explain.

Increases interest & participation where infrastructure is in place to have ppl play game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're talking nonsense. Funding wa govt provides is drop in ocean of what's needed.
You gronk, wb was saying wa govt need to support a cofe for rl, I was pointing out they have in nearly every sport in perth so shouldnt be a problem.
Crawl back Into your cave troll.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As we are continuously told, apparently people in Sydney and now Brisbane only play RL if there's an nrl club based on their street
It’s a bizarre mindset for sure! When you think travelling 10km to support a club is too far then you know theres no hope!

That’s a lot of words and emotional ones at that just to say I want another Brisbane team.

If you want evidence or a reason why you don’t do it, look around at every other sporting competition. There’s also a little thing called laws of diminishing returns which runs into this.

For example, let’s take Major League Baseball. By rights, you could have 5 or 6 teams from New York or Los Angeles and they would probably be worth a lot more money than any one of the Oakland Athletics or the Tampa Bay Rays or the Colorado Rockies and a probably a fair few others. Have a look at the money spent on rosters over there to get an insight into what I’m taking about.

If I looked at the NBA or the NFL you would probably find the same thing happening.

Even closer to home you could look at the fumblers 30 odd years ago. They could have decided instead of going to Brisbane and Sydney, we’ll just put extra teams in Adelaide and Perth. They would have been a lot easier to run and would have been a lot safer. Now, 30 years later, we have a RL team in Brisbane using that same code as a reason for them to get in because we are supposed to be scared of them . It’s embarrassing that we as a code don’t get it.

All of these examples are why it is not sensible as an overall strategy. Because any and every business has to go to new markets in order to get new customers. Any time you do the opposite, all you are doing is splitting the existing customer base. So, unless all of Australia is just going to live in NSW and Qld in the future, then you go and take your product to customers who can’t participate in it or have access to it.

Now you can disagree with me all you want but putting another team in Brisbane is not growing your customer base, however you want to spin it. If there were no other options and you have exhausted all your potential markets, then go for your life. But until then I don’t see the point and I don’t give a f*** about your or their concerns about it either if I were to quote you.

On the one hand you say it's irrational to talk about rationalising Sydney because it's unlikely to happen, yet you talk about expanding into Adelaide and Perth.

Would you not comcede that the likelihood of the ARLC expanding into Adelaide and Perth is probably as slim as a Sydney club being kicked?

V'landys had the chance to talk to an eager WA Gov about expansion at Magic Round in 2022. He brushed them off. He should have used it as an opportunity to get the WA Gov to put money aside for a high performance training centre, an upgrade of Perth Oval, cheap stadium rental, promotion of the game in state schools. The fact he didn't shows this administration doesn't give a duck about growing the game in new markets.

I will note that Greenberg and the ARLC had serious discussions about relocating Cronulla a few seasons ago. Things have changed since then, but it shows that the ARLC have at least contemplated it in the not too distant past.

I'm not against expansion into Adelaide and Perth, per se. I'd love to have three of four teams in New Zealand so our game can make a serious dent in the market. A Perth team is doable. Adelaide would probably need the Bears to relocate to it. However, I cannot see this administration undertaking a project of this magnitude because our game caters to the broadcasters and clubs.

Yes I want a third Brisbane team. I wouldn't be upset if Perth and NZ 2 got in before Brisbane 3. I just don't share your opinion that Brisbane 3 is "irrational" or not in contention for the 18th licence. Andrew Abdo told the Brisbane Tigers they're in contention and Ch9 are keen to have a third team in Brisbane.

I don't give a f**k about what goes on America in a totally different market. It's irrelevant and completely hypocritical on your behalf because no city over there has nine teams in New York, yet you've ridiculed me for advocating rationalisation in the past. So if you're saying we should go down the American route then start advocating for rationalisation of Sydney down to two teams, or you will just come across as a biased hypocrite with an agenda.

Deep down you know the ARLC couldn't be f**ked about expanding into Adelaide and Perth, yet you talk about it as if it's a realistic prospect.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That’s a lot of words and emotional ones at that just to say I want another Brisbane team.

If you want evidence or a reason why you don’t do it, look around at every other sporting competition. There’s also a little thing called laws of diminishing returns which runs into this.

For example, let’s take Major League Baseball. By rights, you could have 5 or 6 teams from New York or Los Angeles and they would probably be worth a lot more money than any one of the Oakland Athletics or the Tampa Bay Rays or the Colorado Rockies and a probably a fair few others. Have a look at the money spent on rosters over there to get an insight into what I’m taking about.

If I looked at the NBA or the NFL you would probably find the same thing happening.

Even closer to home you could look at the fumblers 30 odd years ago. They could have decided instead of going to Brisbane and Sydney, we’ll just put extra teams in Adelaide and Perth. They would have been a lot easier to run and would have been a lot safer. Now, 30 years later, we have a RL team in Brisbane using that same code as a reason for them to get in because we are supposed to be scared of them . It’s embarrassing that we as a code don’t get it.

All of these examples are why it is not sensible as an overall strategy. Because any and every business has to go to new markets in order to get new customers. Any time you do the opposite, all you are doing is splitting the existing customer base. So, unless all of Australia is just going to live in NSW and Qld in the future, then you go and take your product to customers who can’t participate in it or have access to it.

Now you can disagree with me all you want but putting another team in Brisbane is not growing your customer base, however you want to spin it. If there were no other options and you have exhausted all your potential markets, then go for your life. But until then I don’t see the point and I don’t give a f*** about your or their concerns about it either if I were to quote you.
There's no probably about it.

LA and NYC could easily be home to at least a few more NBA teams between them. NYC could support at least one more NFL team, maybe even two. Chicago and Dallas could host another NFL team each without a doubt as well, and Toronto could easily support another NHL side alongside new teams in Hamilton (literally next door to Toronto) and Quebec city (a couple hours from Montreal).

But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, and placing teams in those places would come at the expense of others that offer different opportunities and benefits to the league. With the debatable exception of a second NFL side in Chicago, but that's a tangent, none of those leagues need those teams either.

And advertising/signageich is also corporate revenue stream. Like I said last year Dockers generated $17.5mill in corporate revenue all up. More than 15 of 16 nrl clubs. Not sure what point you’re trying to make lol
An nrl club only needs -$10mill in corporate revenue and $4-5mill in fanbase revenue, no problem in a city as rich as perth.

I cited what was listed as "Corporate Hospitality Revenue" under table "2. Revenue" on p30. Its sum was $5,831,880.

How did you get $17.5m?

The sum for "Signage and Advertising Revenue" is $3,762,320. "Sponsorship Revenue" is $8,192,514. If you combine all three categories the total is $17,786,714.

For the Cowboys, "Sponsorship income" is $9,809,901 and "Game day and event income" is $7,495,133. Cowboys don't mention "Signage and Advertising" or "Corporate Hospitality" in their 2022 annual report.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I cited what was listed as "Corporate Hospitality Revenue" under table "2. Revenue" on p30. Its sum was $5,831,880.

How did you get $17.5m?

The sum for "Signage and Advertising Revenue" is $3,762,320. "Sponsorship Revenue" is $8,192,514. If you combine all three categories the total is $17,786,714.

For the Cowboys, "Sponsorship income" is $9,809,901 and "Game day and event income" is $7,495,133. Cowboys don't mention "Signage and Advertising" or "Corporate Hospitality" in their 2022 annual report.
Haha what’s $200k between friends, but you make my point even stronger, Dockers corporate revenue is $17.7mill, more than nearly every nrl team, and they are directly competit with a very big brother In town (Eagles achieved $29mill in corp revenue in ‘22).

if nrl as a comp is as strong as we like to think it is then an nrl team in perth should be able to hit $10mill corporate revenue. I do agree though that hbf west stand needs replacing to help achieve that goal.

ps cowboys game day income includes gate takings as well as corporate sales. Signage would be in sponsorship I suspect in cowboys line items, unless they don’t get any of it as part of the stadium rental deal. Each clubs stadium deal is different in that regards.

re brisbane3 it will come but probably as team 19 or 20, if the nrl has a vision of a 20 team comp, which I have my doubts about, they dont come across as a organisation that has a long term plan.

but if they do the perth then nz2 and brisbane3 would be the obvious choices, though I’d still rather see Adelaide in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would you not comcede that the likelihood of the ARLC expanding into Adelaide and Perth is probably as slim as a Sydney club being kicked?

V'landys had the chance to talk to an eager WA Gov about expansion at Magic Round in 2022. He brushed them off. He should have used it as an opportunity to get the WA Gov to put money aside for a high performance training centre, an upgrade of Perth Oval, cheap stadium rental, promotion of the game in state schools. The fact he didn't shows this administration doesn't give a duck about growing the game in new markets.
I wouldnt be so sure, I doubt the WA govt has set Aside $1/2mill for a bid application if the nrl has told them no chance. They could be speculating of course, just in case, but you’d hope the money has been made available as the nrl has said perth will be invited to bid.

dolphins ceo has confirmed the perth bid team has had numerous meetings with them to help prepare them for bidding.

theres signs that perth is getting itself ready. Be interesting to see when we go public and make a big song and dance like tigers have just done. Nrl seems to be hinting that bids will be called for towards mid/end of next year, we are probably keeping our powder dry until nearer then.

mongoose

Coach
That's the other issue with Brisbane 3. Broncos (News), Dolphins and Titans will take a very strong position against another SEQLD club, the Titans didn't even want the Dolphins to come in.

MugaB

Coach
I wouldnt be so sure, I doubt the WA govt has set Aside $1/2mill for a bid application if the nrl has told them no chance. They could be speculating of course, just in case, but you’d hope the money has been made available as the nrl has said perth will be invited to bid.

dolphins ceo has confirmed the perth bid team has had numerous meetings with them to help prepare them for bidding.

theres signs that perth is getting itself ready. Be interesting to see when we go public and make a big song and dance like tigers have just done. Nrl seems to be hinting that bids will be called for towards mid/end of next year, we are probably keeping our powder dry until nearer then.
The sooner the better, I'd be calling for both bids 18 and 19, at the same time, giving lots of time to see what bidders can come up with, in the case of perth a longer lead time would be good, ensuring they get the 19th bid outright, whilst the nrl lets either the pasifika or east tigers bids to battle it out for the 18th, for a 2025 start, knowing that Perth will get that 2027-8 slot will solidify their own set ups like the coe, stadium upgrades, coach, staff and players, no point in asking for just one bid to come along for 2025... its way too soon

Perth Red

Post Whore
The sooner the better, I'd be calling for both bids 18 and 19, at the same time, giving lots of time to see what bidders can come up with, in the case of perth a longer lead time would be good, ensuring they get the 19th bid outright, whilst the nrl lets either the pasifika or east tigers bids to battle it out for the 18th, for a 2025 start, knowing that Perth will get that 2027-8 slot will solidify their own set ups like the coe, stadium upgrades, coach, staff and players, no point in asking for just one bid to come along for 2025... its way too soon
There won’t be another team added until 2028. They’ve said they won’t look at it until later next year.

Pippen94

First Grade
I seriously doubt anyone choosing not to play League in Brisbane would suddenly overnight want to because there's a 3rd team, there are ZERO obstacles for anyone wanting to play league in Brisbane.

Dolphins have increased profile & interest in league. I've no doubt this will be shown in participation numbers. Looking at Penrith with it's strong growth due to grand final appearances.
Easier for ppl to play game where there's infrastructure.