What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

Pippen94

First Grade
Ah Wb unable to understand the context of a conversation, bless

There is a pretty strong history of new clubs coming in, having a first couple of seasons honeymoon period then dropping away. Maybe we need to see how the Dolphins go for a few seasons before adding a direct competitor to them straight away? You know like most good businesses would do!

Dolphins have been an unmitigated success. This hurts u almost as bad as Perth missing out

Wb1234

Referee
Ah Wb unable to understand the context of a conversation, bless

There is a pretty strong history of new clubs coming in, having a first couple of seasons honeymoon period then dropping away. Maybe we need to see how the Dolphins go for a few seasons before adding a direct competitor to them straight away? You know like most good businesses would do!
Maybe you should look at the history of the broncos

and if you can let me know any other new team which has 100 million in assets and is in a rugby league metro which is underseviced then I’m all ears

Brisbane can support four nrl clubs if we want and they would be more successful than a rl club in any afl state

if tigers link with png then we have a true powerhouse

MugaB

Coach
Can you understand why it's unreasonable and borderline insane to ask passionate BRL fans to "suck it up" and accept second-class status to Sydney?

For over 100 years the NSWRL clubs were privileged with all sorts of advantages over their BRL rivals. It began in 1908 when the NSWRU's best players jumped ship to the NSWRL. The QRU retained its talent pool. The QRL had to start from scratch. Queensland didn't become competitive in the interstate matches until the QRU died after WWI.

The legalisation of pokies in licenced venues by the NSW Gov in 1956 gave the Sydney clubs a huge financial advantage over their BRL rivals. Pokies were prohibited in Queensland until 1991. Not only did the legalisation of pokies in NSW lead to the BRL going bust, but for over 20 years Queensland lost its best players to the NSWRL. This denied Queensland a fair chance of competing under the old interstate residency rules.

You cannot expect Queenslanders from Brisbane to forget about all of this and let their clubs sink into irrelevancy just because you want the game to expand into new markets. It's as silly as expecting Sydney clubs to give up their place in the NRL for the sake of expansion.

The last thing the game can afford is to take Brisbane Rugby League fans' love of the game for granted. Treat us like second-class citizens and we will revolt. It's like a major political party pissing on its core voting base to appease people who will be highly unlikely to vote for them, then wondering why they've lost long-term voters to minor parties.

AFL is waiting in the wings to pick up disgruntled rugby league fans in SEQ. They've now got a huge war chest to fund it from 2025. Denying entry to the Brisbane Tigers for the sake of expanding into markets -- who quite frankly don't give a f**k about the game -- is a great way of provoking BRL fans into giving up the game for good. Queenslanders are parochial and don't take kindly to being treated like second-class citizens. Especially when the decision would be coming from head office in Sydney. Look at how cranky the Western Australians got when the Gabba was chosen over Perth Stadium to host the 2020 AFL GF.

TL;DR: Trying to shame passionate BRL fans into accepting second-class status will cause more harm than good.
TL;DR f**k me dead.... please potato errrrrrr
You wrote a novel then said TL;DR, dopey
....maybe start with that next time.... neeeerrrrrrrr

All your fkn dumb posts are "too long ; didnt read"

Perth Red

Post Whore

MugaB

Coach
Quite the opposite, we need them to be successful to keep expansion moving forward. From a purely selfish reason its been great!
Correct, anything that helps the dolphins succeed is a boost for more expansion, PNG here we come

Then the Perth Bears....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Correct, anything that helps the dolphins succeed is a boost for more expansion, PNG here we come

Then the Perth Bears....
It'd be very exciting to think that the NRL has serious plans about getting to 22 clubs by 2032. I have my serious doubts that's the case, but nice to dream!

MugaB

Coach
It'd be very exciting to think that the NRL has serious plans about getting to 22 clubs by 2032. I have my serious doubts that's the case, but nice to dream!
I don't see them getting to 22 by 2032, 20 yes, but not 22, after 2032 yes, but conferences will be brought in at 20, that will determine if we as a code can branch out and be Australias version of the NFL... if they see a need for places like Adelaide, Vic2 or NZ2 then thats on the cards

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't see them getting to 22 by 2032, 20 yes, but not 22, after 2032 yes, but conferences will be brought in at 20, that will determine if we as a code can branch out and be Australias version of the NFL... if they see a need for places like Adelaide, Vic2 or NZ2 then thats on the cards
sorry getting ahead of myself, I meant 20!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dont ever apologize for expansion, 22 is a great milestone, why settle for a mere 20
Being realistic I think if we can get to 20 by 2032 thats a massive step forward for the game given its history of expansion delay, and I will happily become a Vlandys devotee lol

22 wont probably happen for a long time after that, if at all. There arent many obvious locations that will make the NRL a lot of money.

Perth
Frankenstein PNG/Pasifika (Govt funding dependent)
Brisbane3
NZ2 (maybe depending on bidders)

probably the only realistic options. After that you're into areas that will probably need a fair bit of support and we know the NRL isnt AFL when it comes to investing in long term projects.

MugaB

Coach
Being realistic I think if we can get to 20 by 2032 thats a massive step forward for the game given its history of expansion delay, and I will happily become a Vlandys devotee lol

22 wont probably happen for a long time after that, if at all. There arent many obvious locations that will make the NRL a lot of money.

Perth
Frankenstein PNG/Pasifika (Govt funding dependent)
Brisbane3
NZ2 (maybe depending on bidders)

probably the only realistic options. After that you're into areas that will probably need a fair bit of support and we know the NRL isnt AFL when it comes to investing in long term projects.
Yes all of this, probably dependent on what the Bears do too.. we all know they cant be in NSW, but we also know the Arlc are keen on them, I've said it before, I'll say it again West Coast Bears ticks every box, its that good of a marriage it would beat the PNG/Pasifika right now... but WA and norths ain't smart enough to show a united front and compromise right now to get ahead

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think realistically we will see a bit of drop off for Dolphins and depending on what stadium strategy they go with theyll probably end up being around a 20k crowd avg club. No reason a South Brisbane club couldnt match that. The question will be should NRL wait until a stadium is built in Ipswich or encroach onto Broncos turf again by having the team more south city focused and playing out of suncorp FT?
Ideally we would have had Dolphins playing out of a rebuilt dolphins stadium as Brisbane3 in years to come and Firehawks as Brisbane2 FT out of Suncorp now. But that ship has sailed.

Pippen94

First Grade
I think realistically we will see a bit of drop off for Dolphins and depending on what stadium strategy they go with theyll probably end up being around a 20k crowd avg club. No reason a South Brisbane club couldnt match that. The question will be should NRL wait until a stadium is built in Ipswich or encroach onto Broncos turf again by having the team more south city focused and playing out of suncorp FT?
Ideally we would have had Dolphins playing out of a rebuilt dolphins stadium as Brisbane3 in years to come and Firehawks as Brisbane2 FT out of Suncorp now. But that ship has sailed.

Dying on firehawks hill. Even tigers stepped back from that bid

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes all of this, probably dependent on what the Bears do too.. we all know they cant be in NSW, but we also know the Arlc are keen on them, I've said it before, I'll say it again West Coast Bears ticks every box, its that good of a marriage it would beat the PNG/Pasifika right now... but WA and norths ain't smart enough to show a united front and compromise right now to get ahead
In the right circumstance's totally agree, but Bears incalcitrance on their non negotiables means we shouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Bears relocation does mitigate potential risk options for NRL I suppose in regards to potential for club 21 and 22 in somewhere like Adelaide, Melbourne2 or Gosford, if the Bears last that long.

Pippen94

First Grade

2028 is rumour for 18th. Even 20 by 2032 is fast pace for expansion

Pippen94

First Grade
Its just a brand. The bid per se hasnt changed.
I didnt mind it, wasnt great, wasnt terrible. No worse than some others out there in the sports world.

Most certainly has. Now channeling dolphins bid with connection to history & also focus on specific region.

Firehawks were crushers 2.0