What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

joshreading

Staff member
Garrick Morgan was a forward and Herbert played a handful of games for the wallabies largely against nothing teams. They are nothing like the players that are being approached.

These players that are being suggested are more like signing Ricky Stuart, Ray Price or signing Lote back. They were obviously all failures.

Just imagine being like the AFL (I get sick of the - 'this is just like the AFL' call) a game where perceptively it is on the front foot not the defensive, where it is being paid overs because of that perception even though it is a weaker product on TV, where crowds that are in the high teens early 20 thousands are considered low.

We can be far stronger than we are but we must stop trying to simply protect our couple little eggs and go and raid someone else's baskets.

Green Machine

First Grade
Garrick Morgan was a forward and Herbert played a handful of games for the wallabies largely against nothing teams. They are nothing like the players that are being approached.

Garrick Morgan was voted the world’s best Union player before he signed with the Crushers. Cooper has done nothing yet. I wouldn’t count on him coming to the NRL. I heard Paul Osborne say the other day that he just used them to get a better deal out of Union. He wants to come, he’ll come. I wouldn’t pay overs for him. Sonny Bill will be a lot of years out of the NRL. Anything could happen between now and 2013.
These players that are being suggested are more like signing Ricky Stuart, Ray Price or signing Lote back.
Ricky Stuart wasn’t that many years out of the Raiders development teams before his brief stay in Union. Ray Price was young and wanted to test himself in Rugby League. Lote has been good value, but I couldn’t imagine he’s on the $s he was on at the ARU. They used him up and pissed him off, just like Wendell.
They were obviously all failures.
I can give you a long list of failures,
Just imagine being like the AFL (I get sick of the - 'this is just like the AFL' call) a game where perceptively it is on the front foot not the defensive, where it is being paid overs because of that perception even though it is a weaker product on TV, where crowds that are in the high teens early 20 thousands are considered low.

We all know that once the Commission starts, things will change. I think the AFL is doing considerable damage with the propping up of fabricated franchises like GWS. We don’t have worry that our crowds are not in the 30k region. Some clubs play at 20k venues and their fans wouldn’t have it any other way.
We can be far stronger than we are but we must stop trying to simply protect our couple little eggs and go and raid someone else's baskets.
The money that comes from the increased TV money should go to the things I mentioned. If the salary cap goes to $6m, the average salary is going to be a lot more attractive for the talented juniors. If they go after union talent, at least make sure they are in the juniors. Don’t waste it on players who could be high risk failures. When clubs recruited high profile union players, there were a lot more failures than success stories. Quite a few of the success’s had a Rugby League background,

Brutus

Referee
Union and AFL players should be exempt from the rugby league salary cap.

If NRL clubs are willing to take a punt on players from other codes then by all means do it.

hellteam

First Grade
I'm actually getting sick of these articles saying who Brisbane2 is going to sign.Cooper one day, SBW, civoneceva. The fact is they might not even have a team yet theres an article in the paper nearly every day. Starting to piss me off.

Plus I don't even know if expansion is the way to go anymore anyway, the quality of the NRL has been absolutely shithouse this year

Mark Rudd

Juniors
I'm actually getting sick of these articles saying who Brisbane2 is going to sign.Cooper one day, SBW, civoneceva. The fact is they might not even have a team yet theres an article in the paper nearly every day. Starting to piss me off.

Plus I don't even know if expansion is the way to go anymore anyway, the quality of the NRL has been absolutely shithouse this year

Exactly what I'm starting to think. So what's the answer? No expansion? Relocation of poor performing Sydney clubs? Or leave it up the NRL to do what they - or television network? - want and expand and put up with crap games?

Lot's of questions. But no easy answers.

joshreading

Staff member
Garrick Morgan was voted the world’s best Union player before he signed with the Crushers.

I never said Morgan wasn't a good union player, I said he was a forward. Forwards obviously struggle with the transition. Herbert on the other hand was a fringe wallaby. The players being talked of from Union are nothing like herbert.

In actual fact Union itself is not like it was then when it was an amateur based sport, we are talking of recruiting professional players with professional training.

I think the AFL is doing considerable damage with the propping up of fabricated franchises like GWS.

Wow... the damage it is creating is amazing. AFL now has a presence in the heartland of Sydney RL. Its profile is growing and its juniors are growing in in western Sydney in part because of it. Oh... and they signed a billion dollar plus contract for TV. Yep, huge damage.

Those 'fabricated' franchises eventually become clubs of history and memory for their fans. Just ask a Broncos fan or even Storm fan like myself. My club means the same to me as yours means to you. It has less history but whether my club is propped up by a corporate, a private owner or a leagues club we all support the players, the colours and hold onto the hope that we can take the premiership.

Last edited:

gallagher

Juniors
Union and AFL players should be exempt from the rugby league salary cap.

If NRL clubs are willing to take a punt on players from other codes then by all means do it.
Only for their first contract and only if they havent played league before. If a club signed Falou or SBW it should count to the cap surely.

Doomednow

Bench
I'm not buying the argument that there isn't enough talent in the NRL for expansion. You see moments of brilliance and skill from plenty of players. The shithouse games being seen lately have more to do with coaches trying to resort to a more conservative coaching style and discouraging risky plays. The problem is most teams can't do it like the Dragons do.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I'm not buying the argument that there isn't enough talent in the NRL for expansion. You see moments of brilliance and skill from plenty of players. The shithouse games being seen lately have more to do with coaches trying to resort to a more conservative coaching style and discouraging risky plays. The problem is most teams can't do it like the Dragons do.

Not to mention that expansion will bring new talent into the game.

BDGS

Bench
I think the standard has dropped because of the Origin period, fix up the origin fixtures and it will be of high quality.

Goddo

Bench
Yeah, stand alone origin has been needed for a while now. I know that TV execs and Gallop don't like leaving a weekend free for Car racing, AFL and other sports, but it is needed.

bottle

Coach
I'm not buying the argument that there isn't enough talent in the NRL for expansion. You see moments of brilliance and skill from plenty of players.

I'm with you. Never bought into this 'lack of talent' argument. FFS you see kids, and men, with talent playing down the park. For mine it's a lack of talented coaches that is the issue. There seems to be a lack of focus on basic skills that feed into making a game worth watching. Whilst some level of error can be a leveler in a game, and add to the excitement, it goes beyond a joke sometimes.
I know jack about coaching, but from what I see it seems there isn't enough focus on basic skills. Probably an assumption that this should already be in place, but I've heard Bennett comment on the continued importance of getting the basics in place. His first focus with Saints was defence and discipline, including ball security.
I don't know how the coaching ranks can be improved, but just drafting in former blockhead players doesn't seem to be cutting it that well.

smithie

Juniors
Yeah, stand alone origin has been needed for a while now. I know that TV execs and Gallop don't like leaving a weekend free for Car racing, AFL and other sports, but it is needed.

We need to introduce a NZ vs. Pacific Nations origin series. Pacific Nations would be a mixture of Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, etc.

State of Origin - Saturday 7pm AEST kickoff
NZ vs. Pacific Nations - Sunday 4pm AEST kickoff (6pm NZ time)

CC_Roosters

First Grade
We need to introduce a NZ vs. Pacific Nations origin series. Pacific Nations would be a mixture of Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, etc.

I would extend that to the Pacific Nations team acting like their Union cousins and doing overseas tours to the UK, Aus etc... as well

Doomednow

Bench
I'd love to see a pacific nations/polynesian origin team. Would be excellent. NZ origin would just be the NZ national side, obviously. To include all these it would need to be a post regular season exhibition tournament.

nadera78

Juniors
I would extend that to the Pacific Nations team acting like their Union cousins and doing overseas tours to the UK, Aus etc... as well

Only if it's limited to players who will actually play for Fiji, Tonga, etc. There's no point doing it if the guys are going to then turn around and play for Australia or NZ. Perhaps the chance to earn a bit of dough from a PI team would help convince the likes of Akuila Uate to stay with Fiji instead of switching.

BDGS

Bench

No no, NZ should play themselves, north vs south or however they want on the same week as origin while the pacific countries play against each other in a 3 week competition. Tonga va Samoa vs PNG vs cook islands vs Fiji would do more for the game of international rugby league then some NZ vs combined pacific islands.