What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Snappy

Coach
Another day, another f**king back page headline about what player the bid team wants. f**k off until you get an NRL licence. and f**k off to the lazy jounos who carry on with their propaganda bullshit! find a real nrl story to write about. sick of hearing about this shit, its all just hot air, but they carry on like they are guranteed a licence to enter the comp.

Rant over.

clarency

Juniors
No no, NZ should play themselves, north vs south or however they want on the same week as origin while the pacific countries play against each other in a 3 week competition. Tonga va Samoa vs PNG vs cook islands vs Fiji would do more for the game of international rugby league then some NZ vs combined pacific islands.

I doubt that would work with South Island having no NRL team... I think public interest would be greater for a NZ v PI origin and its public interest that determines its success.

Still!!!! (I've said this before) I'd go further and say that a Pacific Islands team should be locked in as a permanent change, considering places like Tonga only have the same population as Townsville. Combining gives them greater competitiveness and would really give the international scene some more attention.

Worked for West Indies.

bobmar28

Bench
Exactly what I'm starting to think. So what's the answer? No expansion? Relocation of poor performing Sydney clubs? Or leave it up the NRL to do what they - or television network? - want and expand and put up with crap games?

Lot's of questions. But no easy answers.

I know what we shouldn't do. Let the AFL power ahead with 18 teams and 1.2 billion TV dollars. Imo expansion is a must.

Perth Tiger

Bench
If we have stand alone rep weekends I have alway thought having SOO on Sunday, NZ North v South or whatever concept they go for for Monday or Friday night and then to keep Fox happy you could have a 4 nations series between PNG, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa each team plays the other once (ie 3 games) so fox can have two games for their super saturday

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I'm all for Origin on weekends with no NRL games to be played. I'd love to see these weekends as genuine international weekends, with all southern hemisphere nations taking the opportunity to play tests. I believe, in an ideal scenario, something like a North vs South Island Origin series would take off, but from most opinions of our Kiwi brothers it wouldn't. So a NZ vs Pacific Island combined side could be an alternative, but then again would that capture the imagination of the New Zealand public? I certainly don't know. But it might be something worth investigating.

These games could be played on the Friday with Origin on the Sunday. I just think that having Origin on stand-alone weekends would be a waste if other internationals or competitive fixtures weren't also being played.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Silly question, but do we even need another Brisbane team? What's the need? Maybe if the broncos actually had some kind of support, but with poor crowds and barely half filling their stadium...

BDGS

Bench
Still!!!! (I've said this before) I'd go further and say that a Pacific Islands team should be locked in as a permanent change, considering places like Tonga only have the same population as Townsville. Combining gives them greater competitiveness and would really give the international scene some more attention.

Worked for West Indies.

I'd hate to see this,

In the UK they all play as separate countries instead of being Great Britian and Jamaica plays outside of the West Indies.

Green Machine

First Grade
I never said Morgan wasn't a good union player, I said he was a forward. Forwards obviously struggle with the transition. Herbert on the other hand was a fringe wallaby. The players being talked of from Union are nothing like herbert.

Morgan was backrower, the same as Ray Price. Don’t forget Sonny Bill was injury prone the last time he played week to week NRL.
In actual fact Union itself is not like it was then when it was an amateur based sport, we are talking of recruiting professional players with professional training.

Union wasn’t totally amateur in the early 90’s. They set up trust funds for players. Players could earn some good money playing in France of Italy in the off season where Union was never amateur. Some were probably earning more than Winfield Cup Players. Will Carling declared himself the first million pound player in the early 90’s. Union players got a lot of money under the table,

Wow... the damage it is creating is amazing. AFL now has a presence in the heartland of Sydney RL. Its profile is growing and its juniors are growing in in western Sydney in part because of it.
That is load of shit. The Swans ratings continue to dive. Their crowds are dropping. The AFL’s crowds at ANZ stadium are dropped where the GSW Scammers will play. I hope you are not using AusKick to say their junior numbers are growing.
Oh... and they signed a billion dollar plus contract for TV. Yep, huge damage.

I’m not sure what there next TV deal has to do with your false claim about the growth of AFL in Western Sydney
Those 'fabricated' franchises eventually become clubs of history and memory for their fans.
Who are their fans? Most AFL fans in Sydney follow the Swans,
Just ask a Broncos fan or even Storm fan like myself.
Broncos had an established market of Rugby League fans before they came into the comp. The Storm has an ex-pat supporter base. So what? GWS has nothing,
My club means the same to me as yours means to you.
What is your point?
It has less history but whether my club is propped up by a corporate, a private owner or a leagues club we all support the players, the colours and hold onto the hope that we can take the premiership.
I have no idea what you are getting. If you think I’m against a second Brisbane team, you are wrong. I think for the heath of the competition, we need a second strong Brisbane team. I just hope they don’t go down the same recruiting and administration path as the Crushers. I think an Ipswich or Sunshine Coast team would be the best thing for the Broncos but not for the NRL,

clarency

Juniors
I'd hate to see this,

In the UK they all play as separate countries instead of being Great Britian and Jamaica plays outside of the West Indies.

Why would you hate it? If anything it would increase their competitiveness, which is exactly what everyone says is the problem.

I'm well aware of GB's situation and Jamaica's... it has no real bearing on the situation in the Pacific Islands.

BDGS

Bench
Why would you hate it? If anything it would increase their competitiveness, which is exactly what everyone says is the problem.

I'm well aware of GB's situation and Jamaica's... it has no real bearing on the situation in the Pacific Islands.

We need more international competition not less, the imporvements that are being made all over the world to these sort of countries comes unsuck if you make them GB again. Ireland, Scotland and Wales are better then ever have been on their own before and are getting better all the time.

People want England to get better, not GB. GB played just as bad as England did years ago anyway.

clarency

Juniors
We need more international competition not less, the imporvements that are being made all over the world to these sort of countries comes unsuck if you make them GB again. Ireland, Scotland and Wales are better then ever have been on their own before and are getting better all the time.

People want England to get better, not GB. GB played just as bad as England did years ago anyway.

I'm not suggesting the reformation of GB. As I said the situation in GB is much different to that in PI.

With a stronger PI team I think it would warrant an increase in the amount of internationals.

BDGS

Bench
I'm not suggesting the reformation of GB. As I said the situation in GB is much different to that in PI.

With a stronger PI team I think it would warrant an increase in the amount of internationals.

The same applies, it is better to grow each country then to say its too hard and if you are from these countries you have no opportunity to play for your country.

clarency

Juniors
That's where we disagree, as I don't think it does.

Population:
Scotland: 5.2m
Ireland: 6.1m
Wales: 3m

And these are well developed countries in comparison to the potential Pacific Islands:

Samoa: 0.1m
Tonga: 0.1m
Fiji: 0.8m
Cook Islands: 20k

There's other factors involved, but by the major difference in population alone you can't argue these 2 scenarios as the same.

BDGS

Bench
That's where we disagree, as I don't think it does.

Population:
Scotland: 5.2m
Ireland: 6.1m
Wales: 3m

And these are well developed countries in comparison to the potential Pacific Islands:

Samoa: 0.1m
Tonga: 0.1m
Fiji: 0.8m
Cook Islands: 20k

There's other factors involved, but by the major difference in population alone you can't argue these 2 scenarios as the same.

Union has pacific island countries competing in big events and doing well. So League with the right plan should be able to do it as well. No reason why we can't.

Quidgybo

Bench
Why? Only one seems to get good crowds, and even that is questionable when you look at crowd/population ratios.
As has been pointed out numerous times, it's not first and foremost the crowds, it's the ratings.

Leigh