What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos V St Helens match thread

joshreading

Staff member
I think that this game needs to be moved to a week or two after the grandfinals - I know that means moving a bit but I think it would be worth it.

Also in that time Aus (and Eng) can play a friendly against lower teams such as france or Pac side with players not involved.

Glenn

First Grade
Timing does need to be looked at..Australian sides are still in pre season training, England about 3 weeks into the season, hmmmm who has the bigger advantage.

Shorty

Staff member
The thing that annoys me is St Helens...while the better team...have awful moments.
Broncos first try...that was awful how can you not catch that?
Ironically saying this if they had played Storm,they would have embarrassed the sh*t out of them.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
joshreading said:
I think that this game needs to be moved to a week or two after the grandfinals - I know that means moving a bit but I think it would be worth it.

After the players have spent a week on the piss, chuck them on a plane for 20 odd hours and expect them to play?

They did this in 89 and that's exactly what happened and Canberra got smashed. Laurie Daley was obviously pissed as he pulled off one of the biggest head high tackles ever seen.

fourplay

Juniors
eelavation said:
If St Helens played in the NRL they'll be completely f**ked by June, they wouldn't last the distance.

hahah.. the ESL season goes LONGER.. PLUS they have the Challenge Cup... maybe thats why St Helens and the top tier ESL teams are so far ahead atm ??? because they play more games each year.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
That's true the ESL does go longer but half the teams are tripe compared to the top 4 or 5. Some players describe the NRL these days as playing SOO every week. There's very little between the best and worst NRL teams.

ozbash

Referee
well done to St Helens.

Typical whinging from most of the aussies.
Their image as a great sporting nation continues to prosper.....

DeeGan

Bench
Walt Flanigan said:
After the players have spent a week on the piss, chuck them on a plane for 20 odd hours and expect them to play?

NO excuses for the Brisbane team defeated by a better St Helens outfit.

If the above is in reference to how it panned out for Brisbane - you couldn't be more wrong.

The Broncos celebrated, had a good break and got stuck in to off-season training. The team headed over early, perhaps earlier than teams in the past, played a warm up match and were beaten again by a better outfit.

The Broncos to their credit prepared well for this encounter - it wasn't enough.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fourplay said:
hahah.. the ESL season goes LONGER.. PLUS they have the Challenge Cup... maybe thats why St Helens and the top tier ESL teams are so far ahead atm ??? because they play more games each year.

look at who they're playing :roll: ..some of those ESL sides would struggle to beat our Premier league teams...how would St Helens go if they had to play a Bradford or Leeds for 26 weeks of the year????

Walt Flanigan

Referee
DeeGan said:
The Broncos celebrated, had a good break and got stuck in to off-season training. The team headed over early, perhaps earlier than teams in the past, played a warm up match and were beaten again by a better outfit.

Mate, my comments were a response to you saying that the Match should be played a week or 2 after the GF. Hence the quote. In no way did I say that Brisbane were under-prepared, I was pointing out that playing the WCC just after the GF is a ridiculous concept.

DeeGan

Bench
Walt Flanigan said:
Mate, my comments were a response to you saying that the Match should be played a week or 2 after the GF. Hence the quote.

Noted :lol:

Just waking up back up after following asleep on the couch :lol: '

Back to bed I go.

Shorty

Staff member
ozbash said:
well done to St Helens.

Typical whinging from most of the aussies.
Their image as a great sporting nation continues to prosper.....
To be fair we just want it played at a different time format so that a)It becomes more popular and b)Our players aren't actually still in an off season.

Foz

Bench
I thought it was a pretty fair standard of game given the time of year.
Good win to St Helens and I dont think the Broncos played badly at all.
Nice trial for both sides.

Frederick

Staff member
You know what this means now, guys? It means the season's officially begun :D:D

Round 1 - 20 days, and counting \\\\:D/

Shorty

Staff member
Foz said:
I thought it was a pretty fair standard of game given the time of year.
Good win to St Helens and I dont think the Broncos played badly at all.
Nice trial for both sides.
Play it mid year or after the GF I say.
But I agree with everything else.
Good thing about this is,hopefully the Cowboys do the same thing:p

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Middle of the year is SOO and you can't play a WCC after the GF because players like to celeberate the win and then there's the internationals. There's no better time than now to play it.

Cujo

Juniors
Ice777 said:
Secondly, you can't compare how close the English league as opposed to the NRL by how many times their top side has beaten our top side.

Yes you can, to an extent. We're comparing the two best sides and English clubs consistently win and have also picked up notable wins on Aussie soil. Certainly in terms of depth the NRL is far stronger and nobody in their right mind would dispute that. But the top sides in each comp are closer than you think, It's just that the NRL has maybe 7-8 top quality sides and we have only perhaps 3 on a good year.

However, to draw an analogy take a look at top European soccer. Countries like Portugal with poor domestic leagues overall still produce 3 or so good clubs (e.g. Porto, benfica, Sporting Lisbon) that can easily compete with any of the best sides in the prestige leagues in Germany, England, Italy, Spain and produce undisputably world class players. That is where these comparisons between NRV vs SL fall down. Compare the best with the best and it's fairly even. Compare the bottom few teams in SL with the bottom few teams in NRL and there's a massive gulf in quality. In that sense the WCC can't really be a true comparison of the leagues.

Charge

Juniors
eelavation said:
well, i never suggested that they played to lose the game did I, I want to ask when will you drag your sorry white arses down under to play this game?

Every year we say we will go to Aus to play the game, and every year we are turned down. Wigan beat Brisbane in Brisbane int about '93 for the WCC though.

Latest posts