What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burt v Hayne - The Stats

Ron Jeremy

Coach
The way I see it is this...Anderson is not going to throw an untested back into the fire, Burt is in better form than most of our team, and Hayne has failed at 6 and been in worse form than Burt, Grothe and Reddy who are first three backs picked at the moment IMO. Which leaves us (without dropping Inu, which is a seperate issue) with these combinations. Which is better?

A) 1-Burt 2-Reddy 3-B Smith 4-Inu 5-Grothe
B) 1-Burt 2-Reddy 3-Hayne 4-Inu 5-Grothe
C) 1-Hayne 2-Burt 3-Reddy 4-Inu 5-Grothe
D) 1-Hayne 2-Reddy 3-Burt 4-Inu 5-Grothe

Surely it's B? The simple fact is that when the team goes well, Burt is an excellent fullback...and that at the moment who our fullback is makes absolutely no difference to our chances of winning. We need to look up front and in the halves for the areas that we can improve to help our chances of winning. Put Hayne there with our halves and forwards, and half the bandwagon calling for Burt's head will be calling for Jarryd's in 6 weeks. No fullback will do well behind what we have in front of them at the moment.

Ultimately, Hayne has yet to prove himself as anything more than a prodigiously talented winger, the same argument you use against Inu as centre. Hayne as never proven himself in any position other than the wing. Sure, he had one 10/10 game (as voted by judges that often make some baffling judgements, mind you) at the end of 2007...but it was against the worst Brisbane side in recent memory, behind a pack that was winning the battle with ease and a half and five-eighth who were absolutely outstanding that day. He also had a hell of a lot of problems running the ball back, one of the major criticisms of Burt. I believe that Hayne is a worse kick returner based on what he's shown thus far, he runs it back like a dancer not a fullback. At least Burt knows that it's not his strength and gives the ball to guys who are good at it, like Grothe and Reddy.

Burt has, at the end of the day, proven more in first grade for this club than Hayne has. I don't think there's anyone who denies that Hayne is an amazingly talented player (except maybe old Mr Saab, but we all know he's a dribbling idiot) and he is a great chance of being our long term fullback, but at the moment he hasn't earnt the right to oust Burt. Burt was outstanding at the back at the start of 2003 before suffering a long term injury that kept him out for the best part of that season and the next. He was good enough to keep McKinnon out at the back end of 2006 on form, and had a blinder of a year in 2007 before injury. Hayne, on the other hand, had a great half season ON THE WING in 2006, had a very good most of a year in the same position in 2007, and several good games following several poor games at fullback in the same year. They were both very average in 2008 in a very poor side, and Burt has started better than Hayne this year. So the question that needs to be asked is why should Hayne oust Burt at this stage? The team as a whole is going poorly and will for most of the year...Burt has proved more, and we need Hayne in the three quarter line at the moment, so Burt deserves to stay at 1. Hayne needs to earn the right to oust Burt, it's as simple as that, and for mine he'll get his chance to do just that next year when we have a side that looks more like a contender and we can see what they each have to offer in a good side. At the moment, we gain nothing from putting him there because the engine room and the halves are very problematic...

Hayne was exceptional against sides other then brisbane at fb, he was in our top 3 best for the remainder of the year, that's well-documented.

Burt has had half a good year at FB in his ENTIRE career, he was useless last year ( hence why Hayne was FB, and with Hayne there he produced alot better in 4 games then Burt did all year.

And as for the reasoning that Hayne has been average etc this year, well? wow, i wonder f**king why:roll: playing a foregin position and expected to ignite the side, and besides, i didn't think he was all that bad there tbh

Just wait, Burt will loose his position, Hayne will takeover and like the previous years show he's a far more competent fb then burt.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
focusing ?

hardly

dont flatter yourself, I made one comment compared to your hundreds

your hero worship is mind boggling

again, why is it of concern to you?

I've expalined my reasoning as to why i'm vocal in this subject, but why does it bother you that much as to why i supposdly worship him?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
You not what the most ironic thing in this thread, HJ saying stats aren't everything, and other numbers involving him, yet he states that stats aren't everything in other sentences lol

MR 49% Burt lol

Yeah, that's why I was the one purchasing Dusty's drinks last weekend, idiot.

I probably won't pay up because that would require you actually turning up to a game to collect the money...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Yeah, that's why I was the one purchasing Dusty's drinks last weekend, idiot.

I probably won't pay up because that would require you actually turning up to a game to collect the money...

Sure HJ:lol: i use to always shout you drinks too...

Hey i turned up last week, i promise im coming to more games this year.

Gronk

Staff member
From NRL stats:

Burt (B) vs Hayne (H)

Line breaks: B2 H2
All run meters: B386 H538
Tackle breaks: B17 H12
Line break assists: B1 H0
Try assists: B1 H0
Tackles: B12 H111

My take on the above is that if you take Hayne's two intercepts out then meters gained are about the same.

Hayne has had to a heap of more work in defence which will do him good and hopefully taught him a work ethic.

Burt has made 40% more tackle busts than Hayne this year. :shock:

Stagger eel

Staff member
From NRL stats:

Burt (B) vs Hayne (H)

Line breaks: B2 H2
All run meters: B386 H538
Tackle breaks: B17 H12
Line break assists: B1 H0
Try assists: B1 H0
Tackles: B12 H111

My take on the above is that if you take Hayne's two intercepts out then meters gained are about the same.

Hayne has had to a heap of more work in defence which will do him good and hopefully taught him a work ethic.

Burt has made 40% more tackle busts than Hayne this year. :shock:

yeah...well stats don't lie do they???

I'm sure the dickhead from Terrigal will hit us with another lame excuse.

Stagger eel

Staff member
"DO THIS DO THAT",

JUST PUT HAYNE AT f**kING FULLBACK!

are we accomodating Parramatta or Jarryd Hayne, because I'm sure our "best back" can perform where ever DA puts him...I'm sick of the bullsh*t "everyone else's fault" excuses coming from certain sections in here...

lewiscook

Juniors
are we accomodating Parramatta or Jarryd Hayne, because I'm sure our "best back" can perform where ever DA puts him...I'm sick of the bullsh*t "everyone else's fault" excuses coming from certain sections in here...

im no saying its "everyone elses fault"
im just saying 90% of people wont at fullback, and to settle it put him there.
i really think where wasting jarryds talent having him anywhere else tbh..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
How can you can compare Hayne and Burts stats where one is playing 5/8th and the other fullback???? Epsecially when Hayne has made over 100 more tackles :? the only fair way is to put Hayne back there for a month and see how he goes ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
im no saying its "everyone elses fault"
im just saying 90% of people wont at fullback, and to settle it put him there.
i really think where wasting jarryds talent having him anywhere else tbh..

ok fair enough so you'd concede that our best fullback isn't quite our best centre and five-eight??

Latest posts