What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burt v Hayne - The Stats

1) If a well coached under 16s team can do it, why are we unable to? Is DA such a bad coach?

2) Of course Burt doesn't kick 40-20s each set, but he has shown that he can do it. Who else in the team has one under their belt? Maybe MK?

I'm not saying it's impossible to do these thing without Burt, just that we haven't done them without Burt.

Looking back (this year and last), who has played second man and who has been a kicker? What are our other proven options?

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'm a fan of Hayne. Massive talent. Don't get me wrong. But he must be doing something to mean that he isn't getting chosen at fullback. I know Burt is popular with his peers, fans and coaching staff. But Anderson is a smart man - I am positive he can see that Hayne would be a great fullback. He obviously just sees a problem or two he needs to iron out first.

Have you ever thought that perhaps the "thing" that Jarryd is doing is 'being super talented'? Coach DA saw that early and thought "I HAVE to get this guy involved more" so put him at 5/8. That didn't work because the halfback persisted in rolling the ball on the ground behind the attacking line...

So DA thinks "we're lacking strike power out wide" - Hayne to the centres (I thought he went pretty well last weekend), we'll see how he goes this week.

Don't get me wrong, like so many others I think Hayne's best position is FB. But that he isn't getting picked there does not mean that DA thinks Burt is a better FB.
It's that DA thinks Burt is a better FB than Ben Smith is a centre. Because of his size, Hayne can play as an inside back - and DA sees the team as better off with Hayne in the centres - keeping Burt as the fullback for now.

oldmancraigy

Coach
1) If a well coached under 16s team can do it, why are we unable to? Is DA such a bad coach?

But you're saying that we need Burt to run a second man play. And then you're admitting that we're unable.

Team has Burt to "run second man play"
If Burt actually can't run second man play.
Then team can't run second man play.

[not saying that's what I think - just your logic is whack there!]

Eelementary

Post Whore
Have you ever thought that perhaps the "thing" that Jarryd is doing is 'being super talented'? Coach DA saw that early and thought "I HAVE to get this guy involved more" so put him at 5/8. That didn't work because the halfback persisted in rolling the ball on the ground behind the attacking line...

So DA thinks "we're lacking strike power out wide" - Hayne to the centres (I thought he went pretty well last weekend), we'll see how he goes this week.

Don't get me wrong, like so many others I think Hayne's best position is FB. But that he isn't getting picked there does not mean that DA thinks Burt is a better FB.
It's that DA thinks Burt is a better FB than Ben Smith is a centre. Because of his size, Hayne can play as an inside back - and DA sees the team as better off with Hayne in the centres - keeping Burt as the fullback for now.

No. Not at all.

People consistently put him in the cro of next superstars - the Folaus, the Ingliss, the Jenningss, etc. when he has proven on a consistent basis he is nothing more than a good winger.

Sure, he had a 10 out of 10 performance at fullback a few years ago.

(1) Against who was it? A really, really bad Broncos team.

(2) How long did it take him to finally pull the finger out and do well there?

(3) If he's so 'super talented' how come he couldn't make a fist of it at centre? You can use the 'he never got good ball' excuse if you like, but he did get quality ball on plenty of occassions and did nothing.

He's talented, sure. But super talented? No way.

caylo

Bench
No. Not at all.

(3) If he's so 'super talented' how come he couldn't make a fist of it at centre? You can use the 'he never got good ball' excuse if you like, but he did get quality ball on plenty of occassions and did nothing.

10/10 performance was then followed up by a better performance against the Warriors and an even better performance against the storm. These were teams that came 4th and 1st in the comp, not a team trying to scrape in the 8.
Hayne did take time to adapt to fullback (after not playing there in years) but showed why he is a better fullback then Burt, and at the very least a good representative player.
Hayne performances in the centres wont that bad, definatly better than any of our centres this year and when he did get quality ball showed what he could do.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
So Burt Busters have proven

- Isnt the second man play linch pin

Just watch an Eels game and tell me we don't look more dangerous when he plays as a second receiver.

Hayne doesn't do the same job at fullback. He also doesn't support the ball runner as much.

These things cannot be judged by stats. You have to look at the games and see that Hayne goes missing as a second receiver and looked more at home when running the ball at centre. Fullback is a ball distributor nowadays and Burt is superior in this role. I wish 5 years ago someone would have given Burt the number 6 and let him play second receiver.

caylo

Bench
Just watch an Eels game and tell me we don't look more dangerous when he plays as a second receiver.

Hayne doesn't do the same job at fullback. He also doesn't support the ball runner as much.

These things cannot be judged by stats. You have to look at the games and see that Hayne goes missing as a second receiver and looked more at home when running the ball at centre. Fullback is a ball distributor nowadays and Burt is superior in this role. I wish 5 years ago someone would have given Burt the number 6 and let him play second receiver.

You watch games from last year with Hayne at fullback and you would have noticed he does play a very similar role when close to the line. He plays as a link player/second 5-8 in attack and set up a few tries by doing so. And his suporrt play is much superior than Burt, simple face is that we have 6 outside backs (Hayne, Inu, Burt, Grothe, Reddy, Smith) and Burt it is either Burt at fullback or Smith in the centre, Hayne is simply playing where he has to for the team. If Richardson can force himself into the team in the centres, I think you will find Burt making way for Hayne no questions asked.

There is probably a few things that Burt does different to Hayne at fullback, but at the end of the day Hayne is without doubt a better fullback indiviually, and better fullback for our team. That is not arguable, and the stats show that more than ever.

Bazal

Post Whore
You watch games from last year with Hayne at fullback and you would have noticed he does play a very similar role when close to the line. He plays as a link player/second 5-8 in attack and set up a few tries by doing so. And his suporrt play is much superior than Burt, simple face is that we have 6 outside backs (Hayne, Inu, Burt, Grothe, Reddy, Smith) and Burt it is either Burt at fullback or Smith in the centre, Hayne is simply playing where he has to for the team. If Richardson can force himself into the team in the centres, I think you will find Burt making way for Hayne no questions asked.

There is probably a few things that Burt does different to Hayne at fullback, but at the end of the day Hayne is without doubt a better fullback indiviually, and better fullback for our team. That is not arguable, and the stats show that more than ever.

It's very, massively arguable...as this eleven millionth and even more boring incarnation of the "Burt Sucks" thread indicates quite clearly.

It must really burn the Burt haters that 4 first grade coaches have seen something they're obviously too blind to see...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
It's very, massively arguable...as this eleven millionth and even more boring incarnation of the "Burt Sucks" thread indicates quite clearly.

It must really burn the Burt haters that 4 first grade coaches have seen something they're obviously too blind to see...

not all, i can see why all the coaches have chosen burt at fb, to accomodate him, he's a useless centre, average winger, but his best form has been at fullback. Hayne is a super athlete with immesnse skills, hence why he's being used all over the park, DA has stated that himself, to give hayne as much ball as possible.

What I and others know, is that Hayne will be the fullback either by the end of the season or next year.

For the balance of the side Burt is fb, we all know that, however we dont wanna see another Mckinnon episode, and i'm sure you'd agree that Mckinnon was better however Burt was chosen ahead of him?

Ron Jeremy

Coach

rubbish, Hayne was a better support player and was far more dangerous due to his size. in 2007 he scored a 10/10 by RLW at fullback against the Broncos, all his trys were from his support play as well as most of his breaks.

He's argurably the best hole runner and support player in the side, without a doubt!

Hayne is also a tremendous offloader, remember his try setups with his flick passes last year?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
No. Not at all.

People consistently put him in the cro of next superstars - the Folaus, the Ingliss, the Jenningss, etc. when he has proven on a consistent basis he is nothing more than a good winger.

because better judges then you and I believe he has just as much talent. You put Hayne in a broncos or Storm jersey he'd be one of the best players in the world.

A bad Broncos side? they still were formidable, made the semi's and we gave them there biggets hiding in their history.

How long? well he was great from the start, i recall a game against Manly in which we lost in which Hayne was our best player whilst at FB that year, he scored an amazing individual try too

His games against Brisbane, Warriors, Bulldogs and Storm were simply amazing, he was brillant in every single one of those games against class opposition, burt only plays well against mainly dreg sides, without Tim Smiths boot he's useless, he cant tackle, his positional play is pathetic, he's absolutely useless taking bombs, and if he isn't supporting a ball player ( which every fb does) he's next to invisable.

Whatt utter crap, then why hasn't f**king Inu produced from that position in twice the amount of time? the reason why hayne didn't produce is like Inu this year, the ball players inside him haven't given him adequate ball and opportunities, when they recieve a ball they're already the line, surley a smart bloke like yourself could notice that. And besides, i didn't think his games at centre last year weren't all that bad,

He's super talented, just watch in 2007 form, but its hard to shine when the team is going poorly.

Stagger eel

Staff member
He's super talented, just watch in 2007 form, but its hard to shine when the team is going poorly.

it's always everyone else's fault isn't? a super telented player would rise above it and get us out of this rutt, Hindy and to a lesser extent Fui are the only guys who can stand tall in this side on week to week basis...

let's see what Mr "super talented" can do without Hindy there on sunday...

Mr Saab

Referee
A bad Broncos side? they still were formidable, made the semi's and we gave them there biggets hiding in their history.

Formidable? My god that team was a f**king rabble by the time they faced the Eels. Injuries galore and only made the finals cause the Tigers CHOKED in the friday night game vs the Knights giving up a 12 point lead with 6-7 mins left.
The Broncos limped through the whole year.

Formindable.....hahah.....do you spit or swallow Hayne's load?

The guy is a complete myth and is only known for being a weak minded individual who lies on the ground and milks penalties or disrupts play (check the souths dive round 2)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
same thing could be said about the Burt lovers?

and beside, i like asian men:sarcasm:

I dont see anyone jerking off over Burt the way you do over Hayne

I dont even see anyone jerking off over Hayne the way you do over Hayne

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's fair to say most of the backline have struggled since Tim Smith's departure, with a Nuffy like Finch running the show why wouldn't they??? I still reckon Hayne should be fullback, from what i have seen guys like Etu and Jono Wright could handle FG.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Formidable? My god that team was a f**king rabble by the time they faced the Eels. Injuries galore and only made the finals cause the Tigers CHOKED in the friday night game vs the Knights giving up a 12 point lead with 6-7 mins left.
The Broncos limped through the whole year.

Formindable.....hahah.....do you spit or swallow Hayne's load?

The guy is a complete myth and is only known for being a weak minded individual who lies on the ground and milks penalties or disrupts play (check the souths dive round 2)

stick to the NRL forum, i know you dont like Hayne nor Parramatta.

And besides, i do both, what ever please a man, would you like me to demonstrate?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I dont see anyone jerking off over Burt the way you do over Hayne

I dont even see anyone jerking off over Hayne the way you do over Hayne

well open your eyes up and stop focusing on my posts, ele, HJ have also demonstrated affection for Burt.

And besides, why should it matter to you or anyone else whether i'm 'jerking off over hayne' is it not allowed? i see plenty of it on this forum in relation to various players. Hayne is one of most talented players, utilize him more, play to his strengths.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
It's fair to say most of the backline have struggled since Tim Smith's departure, with a Nuffy like Finch running the show why wouldn't they??? I still reckon Hayne should be fullback, from what i have seen guys like Etu and Jono Wright could handle FG.

i totally agree with etu and jono, give them a shot.