What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith

What will happen to Cam Smith?

• Charged - found guilty at judiciary and misses 1 or 2 matches

Votes: 131 61.8%
  • Charged - found guilty but downgraded, misses 0 matches

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Charged - found innocent

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Not Charged

Votes: 29 13.7%

• Total voters

DJShaksta

First Grade
I disagree with the more lenient weighting for finals matches Locky. The chance you will seriously hurt someone is the same in a finals match as in a regualr season match, so the judicial system should also be the same.

Farkem, just play the game Hard but fair.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I actually agree, but I believe games should be weighted. In other words to miss a final you may need say 200 points rather than 100, same with Origin. You have to stamp this out of the game, but it should have been done in round1 not in the finals. Coaches have to take some (or most) of the blame as they are coaching these types of tackles. There should be more of a penalty DURING THE GAME for these tackles. I am in favour of a 5 minute sin bin for any grapple
Locky, Locky, Locky.

You don't grapple, you don't miss games. It really is as simple as that.

pnub

Juniors
I actually agree, but I believe games should be weighted. In other words to miss a final you may need say 200 points rather than 100, same with Origin. You have to stamp this out of the game, but it should have been done in round1 not in the finals. Coaches have to take some (or most) of the blame as they are coaching these types of tackles. There should be more of a penalty DURING THE GAME for these tackles. I am in favour of a 5 minute sin bin for any grapple

That could be an interesting solution to the problem with 5 minutes in the bin the only problem is missing alot of grapples during the games like the refs tend to do... But i suppose to counter that you could bring in a second ref to watch the ruck and make sure they notice more.

Shorty

Staff member
Oh gee great argument there ignore it all when you have nothing better to say to it.
Blah blah blah.
And a spelling mistake sorry about that there THURSTON happy now?
I have plenty better to say but because you conveniently ignored my reasoning why shouldn't I pay you the same courtesy.

I mean Cameron Smith having eyes bigger than his stomach for that argument?
Ok so that would mean he didn't realise the severity of grabbing and pulling somebody's head while they're being held in a different direction.
Yeah..ok:roll:

lockyno1

Post Whore
I disagree with the more lenient weighting for finals matches Locky. The chance you will seriously hurt someone is the same in a finals match as in a regualr season match, so the judicial system should also be the same.

Farkem, just play the game Hard but fair.

It is just a thought. I don't think a small charge should warrant a finals suspension (providing he is not a repeat offender)

petetheileet

First Grade
We'll go with Russ Aitken, crisper passing game then the old man. Minuscule chance Liam Foran, even smaller James Woolford.

Wonder would the NRL let us start playing Ryan Hinchcliffe now, I mean we are the dirty little offspring of NEWS and apperently everything is a conspiracy

Usually a conspiracy involves some sort of deception or trickery....

No one is being fooled, we all know exactly what is going on so how can it be a conspiracy??

pnub

Juniors
We'll go with Russ Aitken, crisper passing game then the old man. Minuscule chance Liam Foran, even smaller James Woolford.

Wonder would the NRL let us start playing Ryan Hinchcliffe now, I mean we are the dirty little offspring of NEWS and apperently everything is a conspiracy

Actually i'd go for Slater playing hooker in attack and putting on an extra backrower to cover it in defence.
Although GI is going to have to pull his finger out of his ass and get more involved with the game especailly with his kicking game.

lockyno1

Post Whore
That could be an interesting solution to the problem with 5 minutes in the bin the only problem is missing alot of grapples during the games like the refs tend to do... But i suppose to counter that you could bring in a second ref to watch the ruck and make sure they notice more.

Yep, and the reward is during the match. I am not really in favour of the MRC suspending players for it as it is pot luck which one they will suspend. But penalise the team during the match. Tams will realise that if they do it during a match they will be hurt on the scoreboard

Shorty

Staff member
Oh and I love that you use the argument that Thurston's tackle could have killed and disabled someone?
LOL Yeah....cause this isn't happening all the time with your f**king club,difference is the whole club does these tackles..

Frailty

First Grade
It is just a thought. I don't think a small charge should warrant a finals suspension (providing he is not a repeat offender)

Smith is a repeat offender, thus the carryover points which puts him out of the Grand Final.

little_aza

Juniors

i have to agree with this. its unfair that the storm are being crucified for stuff at this time of the year - if the NRL was serious about it all, they shouldve made it clear right from the start of the season. all teams do it, and id be fine if it were stamped out back then. but now certainly isnt the right time to be trying to make examples of people.

Unfortunately the lynchpin of the premiership favourites will probably miss the season. if this game had weighting, 2008 for the storm wouldnt be in jepody by just one tackle.

Last edited:

pnub

Juniors
I have plenty better to say but because you conveniently ignored my reasoning why shouldn't I pay you the same courtesy.

I mean Cameron Smith having eyes bigger than his stomach for that argument?
Ok so that would mean he didn't realise the severity of grabbing and pulling somebody's head while they're being held in a different direction.
Yeah..ok:roll:

That was just applied logic to your argument about ThurstOn having eyes bigger than his stomach...
My personal view is they both did wrong and they both should be punished as simple as that... Where as you tried to justify Thurstons actions about not realising the severity of putting his hands between a players legs and lifting

lockyno1

Post Whore
Actually i'd go for Slater playing hooker in attack and putting on an extra backrower to cover it in defence.
Although GI is going to have to pull his finger out of his ass and get more involved with the game especailly with his kicking game.

You need a 9 that can kick, I'd go with Slater as he can do that, put GI at fullback and I'd put Geyer at 6.

Shorty

Staff member
I am not justifying anything they are different.
Whether you want to believe it or not,Thurston went for a tackle that he wasn't strong enough to commit to.
Cameron Smith went for the head of a player in a bizarre tackle that wasn't needed when Thaiday's torso was wide open for tackling.

bennoonthehill

Juniors
i have to agree with this. its unfair that the storm are being crucified for stuff at this time of the year - if the NRL was serious about it all, they shouldve made it clear right from the start of the season. all teams do it, and id be fine if it were stamped out back then. but now certainly isnt the right time to be trying to make examples of people.

Unfortunately the lynchpin of the premiership favourites will probably miss the season. if this game had weighting, 2008 for the storm wouldnt be in jepody by just one tackle.

The reason he's likely to miss the GF is because they were cracking down on it earlier in the season, and he therefore has carryover points.

lockyno1

Post Whore

I mean of course there are problems with the weighting but the last thing you want is a player from any side missing a prelim or a GF for a rather minor charge. Yes it looked bad but lets deal with it on the field. I could count 50 incidents that were just as bad this weekend. 5 minute sin bin them, don't suspend them for minor offenses.

pnub

Juniors
Oh and I love that you use the argument that Thurston's tackle could have killed and disabled someone?
LOL Yeah....cause this isn't happening all the time with your f**king club,difference is the whole club does these tackles..

The potential for danger in that tackle is off the charts, he had no control and if it wasn't for the warriors player putting his hand up to protect his landing he would had landed on his head.
I'm using the same excuse that everyone in this thread has used about the grapple that it has the POTENTIAL to seriously harm someone..
So you want to agree with the argument about a grapple has the potential to hurt or harm someone deal with the fact that a spear tackle has all the same if not more potential.
And no i don't deny the grapple has every chance of seriously hurting a player if it goes wrong and its right that its outlawed in the game and players should be reported and suspended for doing it just like with the spear tackle

Latest posts